National Museum of Military Vehicles

Wow is all I can say.
Thank you for posting that Larry.
And thank you Dan Starks for preserving all this history.

Now I need to google Dubois to see just how far out in the boonies it really is.

Wow is all I can say.

Now I need to google Dubois to see just how far out in the boonies it really is.

Coming from the West, it’s 90 minutes from Jackson over Togwotee pass, but it’s a very pretty drive.
Coming from the East, it would be on the way to Yellowstone if you were taking hwy 26 across the state, which isn’t a bad way to get to Yellowstone. Tons of photo opportunities in the state, provided you avoid I-80. :)

Wow is all I can say.

And, for what it’s worth....if anyone does make the trip, it’s enjoyable if self guided, but getting on one of the tours Mr. Starks does is highly recommended as he is loaded with interesting information. I don’t remember if it is billed as a 90 minute tour or two hours, but my wife told him when it was over that when he announced at the beginning how long it was going to take, her “heart sank”, but when we got to the end she wished it had been longer.

An impressive collection and a nice collection of photos as well. If I ever find myself in Wyoming, I'll definitely check it out.

Need to put it on my bucket list. Great photos, thanks for sharing.

Glad you enjoyed it, I wasn’t really sure what kind of audience it might find. Have had these since last Fall, undecided whether to post them or not, as it’s not the normal kind of travelog around here.

That's a lot of money and a lot of time and dedication. Very interesting location! Thanks for sharing here in so much detail.

Thanks, am glad some have found these worthwhile. A lot of dedication, for sure, on his part. We were amazed, partly because of the quality and scope, and partly because of how it came into existence, and where it is. Amazing and the "where it is" part makes it a little bit crazy.
One of my reasons for posting this is the hope that more people will come see it, it deserves to be a success. At least I think so.

Only just saw your message, thanks for sharing these Larry.

I really should make it to the other side of the ocean one of these days (after the lockdown is lifted). Looks like an awesome collection.
The closest museum to me with a collection that comes close in size (but mainly contains WW2 logistic vehicles) is "Liberty Park" in Overloon(NL)

I'd add the Tank Museum at Bovingdon, UK to that - though it's a long way from the airports if you are from somewhere (like the UK...) that doesn't believe in driving long distances.

I remember going to Overloon as a scout on my first overseas trip circa 1985 (hard to forget, the museum parrot bit me!) - I hope someone, somewhere, has photos of it from that sort of time as it was a very strange place, looking back now. Much of the collection was outdoors, and some of it had been there since the warring parties left it in 1944. Great for atmosphere, with red squirrels playing round the Giant Wurzberg radar aerial, but not so good for preservation of exhibits - especially aircraft - though Spitfire XI PL965 that I saw (looking very ratty!) there has been restored to fly, and I've seen it again in the air.

Back