Natural Bridge Station

farlymac

PF McFarland
Local time
6:39 AM
Natural Bridge Station is a couple of miles from Natural Bridge Park, and the old part of town is really isolated from the main roads. I drove up hoping to find a station structure still standing, but instead was pleasantly surprised by what really was there.

The N&W Railway (now NS) James River Bridge was built in 1915, and some of the town structures look to be much older than that. Such a neat little place tucked out of sight.

26402422084_c0e1965dee_z.jpg

NS James River Bridge by P F McFarland, on Flickr

The CSX tracks pass underneath.
26974740706_26e4d425d6_z.jpg

NS James River Bridge by P F McFarland, on Flickr

I don’t have too much stuff. Now this guy, well, he’s got just enough.
26734365410_428af9e960_z.jpg

Quite The Collection by P F McFarland, on Flickr

The rest of town is an antique too.
26939932521_da5f0862e5_z.jpg

Natural Bridge Station by P F McFarland, on Flickr

This one has lots of character.
26939968841_25aa0fe3c1_z.jpg

Chiles Bargers by P F McFarland, on Flickr

More photos at https://flic.kr/s/aHskzQMJaV

PF

I like these a lot. The first one is a beautiful landscape, and the others are interesting places. I'd have photographed them too if I were there!

The only criticism I can give is that I don't like the utility lines in the fourth photo. A lot of small towns have power lines that cut across the fronts of buildings, ruining the scene for photos. Sometimes, I can use a very wide angle lens and move closer to the building, so the lines won't show.

I like these a lot. The first one is a beautiful landscape, and the others are interesting places. I'd have photographed them too if I were there!

The only criticism I can give is that I don't like the utility lines in the fourth photo. A lot of small towns have power lines that cut across the fronts of buildings, ruining the scene for photos. Sometimes, I can use a very wide angle lens and move closer to the building, so the lines won't show.

I am sure you know about photoshop. I would rather have a wire removed than no pic at all.

But then if you are strictly a film/optical printer the suggestion is no good.

Buy the way, I love your pictures and the superb technique. I never miss one of your posts.

I am a member of the Morton Arboretum near Chicago and they have had a field day putting up stupid signs and benches. I gleefully use Adobe.

Thanks, Chris. I hope you also viewed the rest of the photos, as I do my best to avoid utility lines. The shot you are talking about was done at the camera's widest setting (28mm equivalent) in order to get all three buildings in the same frame.

I sometimes will fix things like utility wires, but it doesn't always look good when they cross so many different patterns in the background. I tried to line them up with features of the buildings so that they didn't stand out so much.

I'll be in Greensburg next week, but don't know if I'll have time to head up to the Ft. Wayne area. I've been wanting to photograph Roanoke, IN ever since I moved to Roanoke, VA.

PF

Roanoke is a neat little town. If you want to go there, I'll take you there if you can make it up here. You'll have to meet Rex, the town's barber, if he's still there. He's getting pretty old, so he may have retired. With my long hair, I don't often go to a barber! Rex's shop looks like something from 1910, not 2016!

Back