Other/Uncategorized New 24mm f11 LTM lens

Other Screw mount bodies/lenses

BWF

Established
Local time
8:40 PM
Nice looking new 24mm f11 fixed focus LTM lens coming to market. I like the look of the sample photos and it looks like a fun lens! I have a 6x12 camera made by Chroma and it’s really well designed and built. I expect this lens to be nicely built, even at this price. You can find interviews with Steve Lloyd and Jason Lane (who seems to have done the optical design) on the Classic Lenses Podcast. They made the Chromagraphica dry plate holders as well, which are really nice. Jason Lane is also the maker of J Lane Dry Plates.

For £99, I might give it a punt. I don't know how I feel about the fixed focus and fixed aperture snapshot-style aspect of it, but at least it gives me something between the 15mm and 28mm Voigtlander options without spending decent money.

Also, special bonus feature: I just double checked, and the "28mm" viewfinder on my Soviet Turret has an almost exactly 24mm field of view, so I wouldn't even need another viewfinder: I can use the one that's been on the shelf for a decade or more.

For £99, I might give it a punt. I don't know how I feel about the fixed focus and fixed aperture snapshot-style aspect of it, but at least it gives me something between the 15mm and 28mm Voigtlander options without spending decent money.

Also, special bonus feature: I just double checked, and the "28mm" viewfinder on my Soviet Turret has an almost exactly 24mm field of view, so I wouldn't even need another viewfinder: I can use the one that's been on the shelf for a decade or more.

I'd rather have the MS OPTICS 24 M Aporia MS Optics Aporia 24mm F/2 M mount Urushii - Japan Camera Hunter

However, this lens could be something to think about.

For a little more money one could buy a Snapshot Skopar 25mm in nice shape.
But, this lens looks fun, and the totally off the cuff shooting style it would foster would be fun too.

For a little more money one could buy a Snapshot Skopar 25mm in nice shape.
But, this lens looks fun, and the totally off the cuff shooting style it would foster would be fun too.

The 25mm Snapshot Skopar is a very enjoyable lens to shoot. I love how the focusing ring clicks at 1m, 1.5m, and 3m. I wish more lens makers would have that on wide angle lenses.

Maybe supporting this Chroma lens leads to even more interesting lenses down the road.

Is it a chunk of metal? The site said something about machining. If so then it isn’t bad at all. I’d like to see more photos with it. In a LOMO box and some copywriting magic it would be $499.

Is it a chunk of metal? The site said something about machining. If so then it isn’t bad at all. I’d like to see more photos with it. In a LOMO box and some copywriting magic it would be $499.

Yep “The body is made from a single block of aluminium, then anodised and laser engraved.” Nice indeed.

24 isn't wide enough for the fixed focus concept to really make sense IMHO, and there are somewhat affordable alternatives. At 15-18mm otoh...

Hyperfocal distance of a 24mm lens at f/11 is about 6ft (with a near limit about 3ft). So fixed focus is perfectly adequate for 90% of situations.
On the other hand, you could just buy the Reto reissue of the Vivitar Wide and Slim for under $30.

On the other hand, you could just buy the Reto reissue of the Vivitar Wide and Slim for under $30.

...but then you're locked into the look and focal length for a full roll, whereas this gives you an option to put in your camera bag and use for just two or three frames.

Back