NEW Bronica Forum

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
11:04 PM
Often forgotten today compared to Hasselblad, Mamiya or Rollei, Bronica has admirers at RFF.

Maybe a few more fans would not hurt!

Stephen

Fine idea! There are various kinds of Bronica, and one doesn't usually associate the brand with rangefinder cameras, but here are a couple of shots from a Bronica RF645 of which I have two, marking my fandom!

Julie at the glass place handing me a repaired screen door. (65mm, Fuji 800Z)

med_U77I1137740899.SEQ.0.jpg

County public health nurse ready to administer a shot... (45mm, Fuji 800Z)

U77I1142813890.SEQ.0.jpg

My first MF kit was a Bronica ETRSi, but I moved to an RF645 as I moved toward other RF gear in 35mm. Here are a few of my favorite images with it.

med_U45148I1547088218.SEQ.0.jpg

HP5+

med_U45148I1445194279.SEQ.1.jpg

Delta 3200 @1600

med_U45148I1359322634.SEQ.4.jpg

HP5+

med_U45148I1398632616.SEQ.3.jpg

E100 chrome

Not many RF645 users in the RFF gallery—Doug was an early adopter, and Keith (Novak) made some splendid multiple exposures. I enjoyed the camera and probably should have kept it, but a few years ago I decided to keep only one 645 camera, and the Fuji GA645 won over the Bronica, my logic being 1/same format, 2/more easily replaced, 3/P&S rather than manual focus. (Of course I miss the RF645 though, because I’m a gear sentimentalist, and recently asked the buyer who is well-known here if he still had it. But no, he did not.)

I had a Bronica EC-TL until a Rolleiflex SL66 system came my way at a price I couldn't refuse (but not so low I could keep both systems).
In my time with the Bronica EC I felt it was the most unique, groundbreaking, and useful medium format system ever conceived. That glorious flip-down mirror, the close-focusing abilities (only bettered by the SL66), and the absolutely wonderful Nikkor lenses. And the much rarer and more fabulous Zenzanon lenses, of which I owned one (I, forget, was it a 50/2.8?). If I hadn't found the SL66 I would certainly have remained contented with the Bronica and I still have a slight pang every time I think about letting it go.

ANyone do repair work on the Bronica RF645?
(I have a broken battery door that needs replacement)

Hi filmtwit: I sent my Bronica RF645 to Walter's camera repairs in LA, 811 West Cesar E. Chavez Ave. Los Angeles CA. 90012 (Phone (213) 620-1550) for the known issue of film winder not engaging the transport gear train. They were able to fix it, even if the cocking is not as smooth as it used to be. Expensive repair, in my own opinion, at $550.00, but I now have a functioning camera. Also I couldn't find anyone else who would touch the RF645. The repair time was close to 2 months, and I had to call several times to follow up on the status of the repair, with at times tense verbal exchanges. My experience with their website is that the do not answer your email, so the only way you can contact them is with a phone call. Ask for Francisco.
All the best,
Giorgio

Does anyone know anything about the TTL finder for the S2/S2A? I picked one up reasonably cheaply but it did not come with the adapter ring. What’s the purpose of the adapter ring and is it possible to use the TTL meter without it?

Does anyone know anything about the TTL finder for the S2/S2A? I picked one up reasonably cheaply but it did not come with the adapter ring. What’s the purpose of the adapter ring and is it possible to use the TTL meter without it?

Not sure about any adapter ring, but there are two different Bronica TTL hi mag finders.

The one with two toggle switches towars the back is for the S2 series.

A later version with flat front and no toggle switches is for the EC.

Stephen

Camera lemon

Camera lemon

I bought the RF645 shortly after it came out. IMHO it was a lemon. It spent more time in the repair shop (under warranty) than in my hands. The first time that I went for a walk with it the battery door opened, spilling my batteries somewhere in the park. Without a spare set with me it was a worthless weight around my neck, prompting tape over the battery door. The +/- adjustment dial on the back never would stay put prompting more tape on the camera. When the film advance went after about 50 rolls of film I called it quits. I had it repaired by Bronica and sold it. Great lenses, but the body was not well designed - way too flimsy - a “dog” or a “lemon” in my opinion.

Not sure about any adapter ring, but there are two different Bronica TTL hi mag finders.

The one with two toggle switches towars the back is for the S2 series.

A later version with flat front and no toggle switches is for the EC.

Stephen

I picked up the one with the toggle switches for my S2. There’s an ‘adapter ring’ that goes over the shutter speed dial, not sure what it does. It’s not the dial that the cable plugs into, it’s a thin ring that goes between it and the camera body.

Many thanks!

Hi filmtwit: I sent my Bronica RF645 to Walter's camera repairs in LA, 811 West Cesar E. Chavez Ave. Los Angeles CA. 90012 (Phone (213) 620-1550) for the known issue of film winder not engaging the transport gear train. They were able to fix it, even if the cocking is not as smooth as it used to be. Expensive repair, in my own opinion, at $550.00, but I now have a functioning camera. Also I couldn't find anyone else who would touch the RF645. The repair time was close to 2 months, and I had to call several times to follow up on the status of the repair, with at times tense verbal exchanges. My experience with their website is that the do not answer your email, so the only way you can contact them is with a phone call. Ask for Francisco.
All the best,
Giorgio

Pentax 6x7 strap lug connectors fit on the Bronica C2. Can't say for certain the S2/a but I was pleasantly surprised to see these fit my C2 camera.

I managed to find the elusive adapter ring (I did figure out what it’s for!) for the TTL finder and hooked that puppy up to my S2. Just waiting on the PX625 battery adapter to see if it actually works.

Admit it - you want one :)

The Ultimate Bronica Jewelry
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Well, yeah, but I want an ETRSi too. Love the industrial look of this.

PF

Replacement Eyecup

Replacement Eyecup

Ive been shooting with a SQ-Ai for a while and now just picked up a RF645, perfect condition although it is missing the viewfinder eyepiece.

Has anyone had any luck with other brand eyepieces (i have read that some Nikon eyecups may fit). Or does anyone have a lead on a replacement part?!

Thanks!

med_U81408I1629939355.SEQ.0.jpg

Bronica Deluxe are great cameras! It took years to find the square, original hood for Nikkor-P 75/2.8. Zenzanon MC 80/2.8 by Zeiss Jena is also a fantastic lens.
Nippon Kogaku not only provided lenses but also finder component glasses, see the magnifying glass below.

51561803349_87bf52efe1_k.jpg
​​​

51561359343_dcfefdfa6f_k.jpg
​​​

51561110641_fada654147_k.jpg
​​​

51561359443_f3d0aac151_k.jpg
​​

Back