New Leica M digital Monochrome camera announced

Well, from the samples images from Leica's homepage and dpreview, I'm more impressed with my mom's old Pentax 35mm camera that has a broken viewfinder, and I'm not even trying to be funny.

And these new APOwhatever lenses, all they do is HERP DERP SHARPNESS. How pathetic and boring.

Well, I like the fact the camera is free of any identifying logos, if the pics of dpreview are correct, but I'm not going to rush out and get rid of my M9 to get this.

Nice that it has ISOs up to 10K, but the Olympus EM-5 can also do that--and in color, too--for what I'm sure is a significantly lower price than this camera.

So this is optimised for monochrome images. I wonder if this optimisation offers a significant benefit in the real world compared to a digital conversion from digital colour. Better had do for 6 grand.

Ehh!!! not fer me... Not enough of a dynamic range improvement from what I have seen so far, Check out Reid Reviews for samples. High ISO improvment though! Does have a bit more a film-like/grain look.

They'll all sell, But an M10 is really what we want!

reading the blurb at dpreview is seems the film look is obtained with silver efex pro 2. I rekon buying that software might be a cheaper option :D

My bet is the Leica M-Monochrome is going to be priced in the "budget" area of $3-4k. So that anyone who wants an M can have one without shelling out the $7k for the M9.

It also buys Leica time until the M10. I'm guessing September.

It looks like a nice idea for someone who knows they want to only do black and white. Me, I can never make up my mind -- I'm kind of like Jean-Paul Belmondo, in Pierrot le Fou, after he lights the fuse.

There have been discussions over the years on the Ricoh forums about a monochrome-only GRD. With the GRD, I mostly process the images into black and white -- and I would be interested; especially, since it would be at a price-point I can afford.

Wouldn't buy it for the price but still nice to have a choice. Currently I have to say I'd rather buy 1000 rolls of tri-X than the Leica. I hope for Leica's sake that other photographers might think different.

I wish them the best of luck.

Dominik

Well, from the samples images from Leica's homepage and dpreview, I'm more impressed with my mom's old Pentax 35mm camera that has a broken viewfinder, and I'm not even trying to be funny.

And these new APOwhatever lenses, all they do is HERP DERP SHARPNESS d!ck swinging. How pathetic and boring.

If the camera underperforms, or is a blatant rip-off, then it won't sell.

But why do people get so offended by what Leica do?

they're one of the few companies still making things in Europe, without exploiting their workforce... I can't afford the monochrome M, but I hope it does well for them.

Their stuff is no more a rip-off than, say, an old Mint Plus Summicron for $2,200! For, let's face it, everyone despises capitalism until it's their own chance to turn a buck.

My bet is the Leica M-Monochrome is going to be priced in the "budget" area of $3-4k. So that anyone who wants an M can have one without shelling out the $7k for the M9.

It also buys Leica time until the M10. I'm guessing September.

Dream on: $7950 on the Adorama site.

Harry

Last edited:
Back