New Leica M Nokton 50mm F1.2

Two days ago, I walked into my local dealer (a word I use with deliberate intent) and found that they had just sold their first Voigtlander 50/1.2. The buyer was the guy who was handing over a credit card just as I walked in, and the dealer had no more stock. For a moment I was disappointed, but then relieved that I wasn't going to be tempted to drop a bundle of cash on the spot.

So, for anyone who has the 50f1.1 and has purchased the 50f1.2, is the upgrade worth it? I have owned the 50f1.1 for about six months and don't use it much primarily because I don't do the available light photography which would be the lenses strong point. And I like the size of the 50f2.

I don't plan on buying another 50 but am curious.

I have the f/1.1 and of course I am tempted to buy this new lens.

However, the f/1.1 is extremely good. It is big, but smaller and lighter than the Noctilux f/1 and much sharper. If I buy the f/1.2 it is because this lens is quite a lot smaller. In fact it replaces both the 50mm f/1.5 and the 50mm f/1.1.

The mountains on the "mountain and valley focus ring" of many Voigtländer lenses are knurled and the valleys are smooth. I think the ring would be better if the valleys were knurled and the mountains smooth, the reverse. After all, in the valleys the fingers push most.

Erik.

I had a chance to look at the lens in Photokina. Voigtländer were sitting opposite a display case with the new Canon 50mm f1.2 RF-mount lens, which is literally 3x the size and weight of the Nokton (and double the price).

In the hand, the Nokton feels impossibly small for such a fast lens, and is built really well. It was not viable to get a meaningful sense of the image quality and rendering in the horrific show lighting - hopefully we will ge a better sense of that as people shoot more out in the real world.

I'm out of the loop, did we like the 40/1.2 better than 35/1.2....
I am only half through the loop, but my understanding is that we like the 40/1.2 better. The big question for me is whether we like the 40/1.2 also better than the 50/1.2. :D

The big question for me is whether we like the 40/1.2 also better than the 50/1.2. :D

Well, I understand that Yokosuka_Mike has both lenses. Maybe he can make some comparison shots of the same spot from the same standpoint with the same lens aperture. That would be very interesting.

Erik.

Yes, I have both lenses:
Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 Nokton VM lens
Voigtlander 50mm f1.2 Nokton VM lens
And, I have posted a substantial amount of images in the “Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 Nokton VM lens - Images” and ‘Voigtlander 50mm f1.2 Nokton VM lens - Images” threads that can be found in the Voigtlander Lenses and Images forum. My style of shooting is the same in both threads and the camera body was the same for all images (a Sony A7II camera). Check out both threads and it should be easy to draw your own conclusions.

My personal opinion at this time is that the Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 Nokton VM lens is a bit easier to get along with. It’s more forgiving to my style of shooting. However, the 50mm 1.2 is no slouch, it just demands more of my attention - no sloppy shooting will be rewarded with a good image.

Hope this helps.
Mike

My personal opinion at this time is that the Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 Nokton VM lens is a bit easier to get along with. It’s more forgiving to my style of shooting. However, the 50mm 1.2 is no slouch, it just demands more of my attention - no sloppy shooting will be rewarded with a good image.
Mike, thank you very much.

Is the 40mm f/1.2 easier to get along with because it is smaller and has more dept of field at comparable apertures?

In other words: is the 50mm f/1.2 more difficult to focus? Will this also be the case when the lenses are used on a Leica?

Erik.

Mike, thank you very much.

Is the 40mm f/1.2 easier to get along with because it is smaller and has more dept of field at comparable apertures?

In other words: is the 50mm f/1.2 more difficult to focus? Will this also be the case when the lenses are used on a Leica?

Erik.

Hi Erik,

The size of a lens doesn't bother me at all. I have the 50mm 1.1 VM and love it and it's a pretty big lens. But it is true that the 40mm 1.2 is easier to focus than the 50mm 1.2 on my Sony A7II.

As to being used on a Leica, I can't say because I don't have one. But I do have plenty of Bessa rangefinders and I can go out and do a comparison of the lenses with my RM3 and see what there is to see. This will take a few days so I'll get back to you when I can.

All the best,
Mike

I had a chance to look at the lens in Photokina. Voigtländer were sitting opposite a display case with the new Canon 50mm f1.2 RF-mount lens, which is literally 3x the size and weight ok the Nokton (and double the price).

In the hand, the Nokton feels impossibly small for such a fast lens, and is built really well.

I took a look at the new Nokton as well in Photokina and I'll echo your sentiments. Mounted on my M3 it didn't feel out of place at all; a very nice match, regarding size and styling.

The Canon RF 50/1.2 is a sizeable lens indeed, but also deadly sharp, even wide open :cool:

Hi, Can a 50mm f1.2 owner confirm that the nokton is a full 1/2 faster than f1.4, and not just 1/3 stop faster. I am a film user so can't up my iso if needed!

So, for anyone who has the 50f1.1 and has purchased the 50f1.2, is the upgrade worth it?

I am curious too. Sharpness, flare, distortion, how do they compare?

Also, is the 1.1 a real 1.1, the 1.2 a real 1.2?
If so, I think 1.1 is about half a stop faster than 1.2, right?

I just picked up the 50 1.2 a couple of weeks ago and I really like this lens. It was sharp right out of the box on both my M 10 and my MM. One think I do like is this lens focuses at just a hair over 2 ft.

The build quality is very good and the focus is smooth and the f/stops are very nice. Overall a great lens at any price. It just so happens it is not all the expensive.

Sorry photo heavy

Heres a few photographs mostly test shots.
M 10 50 1.2 Nokton WIDE OPEN
169727592.jpg

169727449.jpg

169712437.jpg

169712428.jpg

169648633.jpg

169666621.jpg

169666622.jpg

at f/8
169687384.jpg

169687385.jpg

MM 50 1.2 Nokton wide open
169744869.jpg

169744870.jpg

169744865.jpg

169744871.jpg

I just picked up the 50 1.2 a couple of weeks ago and I really like this lens. It was sharp right out of the box on both my M 10 and my MM. One think I do like is this lens focuses at just a hair over 2 ft.

The build quality is very good and the focus is smooth and the f/stops are very nice. Overall a great lens at any price. It just so happens it is not all the expensive.

Sorry photo heavy

Heres a few photographs mostly test shots.
M 10 50 1.2 Nokton WIDE OPEN
MM 50 1.2 Nokton wide open

Looking good! I was wondering how much viewfinder blockage you are getting? Do you have any more color images? I have been thinking about getting a used 50 1.4 ASPH and came across this lens has me interested... I have an old 50 1.4 Summilux which I like for B&W way better than color... Color can be good in the right situations with that lens...

Back