New M8 owner - Shutter Actuations?

Bobfrance

Over Exposed
Local time
1:34 PM
Hi All,

Just took the plunge and bought myself an M8 and have just embarked on the learning curve.

Probably a silly question, but how do I find out how many actuations the shutter has done?

Oh, and any other top tips would be appreciated too. :)

Bob.

This topic could use some updating...

Wolfram Söns at www.soens.de offers free software to provide useful information about a photo, including a decimal number for shutter actuations.

There is M8Info for M8 cameras and M9Info for M9 cameras, and for Windows and Mac.

Another way for a shutter actuation count on M8 and M9:
Turn the camera on.
Press the right arrow key 4 times.
Press the left arrow key 3 times.
Press the right arrow key 1 more time.
Press the info button.
Scroll down to body debug data.
Press Set.
Scroll down to NUMEXPOSURES.
Turn camera off to exit

But the "Image Unique ID" in the EXIF is a nonsense number for the M typ240 and S series cameras, so there is no little "Info" program to translate it for us.

This topic could use some updating...

There is M8Info for M8 cameras and M9Info for M9 cameras, and for Windows and Mac.

Turn the camera on.
Press the info button.
Press Set.
Turn camera off to exit

Thank you for the info about this procedure.

Turn the camera on.
Press the info button.
Press Set.
Turn camera off to exit

As far as I know this debug menu only works with the M8.

I used the " image unique ID" system for the M240 I bought used and according to that, my camera has had over 42K shutter actuations as of yesterday :cool:... I certainly hope that the famed Leica build quality is real and I get a million shutter actuations out of it :D

I used the " image unique ID" system for the M240 I bought used and according to that, my camera has had over 42K shutter actuations as of yesterday :cool:... I certainly hope that the famed Leica build quality is real and I get a million shutter actuations out of it :D

Unlike the M8/9, to the best of my knowledge there is no way to accurately determine the number of shutter actuations on an M240.

Yes, on the M (typ 240) and S models, perhaps others, the image unique id has no relationship to shutter actuations. It could have limited relevance anyway, for any camera with live view, as the shutter is busier in that mode.

Unlike the M8/9, to the best of my knowledge there is no way to accurately determine the number of shutter actuations on an M240.

Yes, on the M (typ 240) and S models, perhaps others, the image unique id has no relationship to shutter actuations. It could have limited relevance anyway, for any camera with live view, as the shutter is busier in that mode.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought the method was applicable to the M240 as well. I guess the number of actuations in the camera will remain a mystery for the present ;)

The code worked well on the M8 I just received today from one of the two giant NYC camera stores, rated in excellent condition.....the shutter count was 000638. From one who has a D200 since 2005 and a D700 since 2009, an Nikon F since 1967 and my first Leica a IIIF in 2002 followed by M2, M6TTL etc, etc.....this M8 is something I wish I had purchased years ago. Not only is the body in near new shape and the LCD is perfect - looks new, but the J-Pegs straight from the camera as well as DNGs are stunning...the color is Kodachrome. The camera is a 2008 build.

Back