New Pixii 26MP

olakiril

Well-known
Local time
4:18 AM
I am glad we have a new Pixii camera but I feel they should have lowered its price.

From what I can see it neither has a global electronic shutter or a mechanical shutter. If that is the case, I wonder how good the sensor readout speed is in order to minimize the various rolling shutter artifacts. Also there is a suggestion that it is using the same sensor as the latest Fuji APS-C cameras.

https://pixii.fr/new-pixii-camera

If owned M/LTM lenses because I was particularly fond of their rendering aesthetics, the new Pixii 26 MP body would be extremely attractive.

It's significant that Pixii SAS announced they plan to sell a 26 MP sensor upgrade to their A1112 camera owners.

I like the large ( 8GB) internal memory, USB-C port and the option to use lossless raw files.

The manual focus system looks promising too. I wonder how it performs in low light and, or low contrast conditions?

If owned M/LTM lenses because I was particularly fond of their rendering aesthetics, the new Pixii 26 MP body would be extremely attractive.

It's significant that Pixii SAS announced they plan to sell a 26 MP sensor upgrade to their A1112 camera owners.

I like the large ( 8GB) internal memory, USB-C port and the option to use lossless raw files.

The manual focus system looks promising too. I wonder how it performs in low light and, or low contrast conditions?

No, Pixii does not sell an upgrade from the A1112.

The upgrade is FREE. :D

The Pixii RF/VF is quite well done, offering traditional Leica M type focusing combined with its "information center" for additional info.

No, its not as good as the Leica M RF/VF, but it does compare amazingly well for a new camera manufacturer.

Most first time RF owners will probably not be able to see the difference between the Pixii RF/VF and the Leica RF/VF.

Stephen

Odd new forum behavior. I have seen this topic, then login to reply and it disappeared from new posts list.

It is still has major drawback. Narrow to very narrow FOV only supported. Even M8 has 24mm. While x1.5 sensor camera must have 21mm frame lines to be somewhat modern as they are position it RF camera. IMO. If they would realize it, with this new, normal sensor, it is would be worth of its money as the second, much less expensive RF digital camera only sold as new.

The new specifications look good. 26MPixel, and higher dynamic range. Price is about what the Epson R-D1x sold for. It is reasonable. The 1.5x crop factor is the about same as the Epson.

Back side illuminated CMOS with a thin sensor stack- should do better with wide-angle RF lenses. I'd love to be able to test this camera.

I'd love to test it too. Seems like it may stay in such limited production that it would be hard to get my hands on one, though.

... should do better with wide-angle RF lenses. ....

At x1.5 any sensor is good with WA lenses. Which ain't WA on x1.5 crop, BTW. 21mm corners (where it is going bad with so-so sensors) are cut on x1.5 sensor to whooping :) 31mm FOV...
How are you going to frame it, no framelines, no 31 brightlines finder except some odd, huge and expensive exotics which will looks like saddle on the rabbit.

At x1.5 any sensor is good with WA lenses. Which ain't WA on x1.5 crop, BTW. 21mm corners (where it is going bad with so-so sensors) are cut on x1.5 sensor to whooping :) 31mm FOV...
How are you going to frame it, no framelines, no 31 brightlines finder except some odd, huge and expensive exotics which will looks like saddle on the rabbit.

I doubt a 28mm viewfinder would be that hard to use with 31mm in practice.

How? Very easily.

It has manually chosen electronic brightline parallax corrected frame lines for 28/35/40/50mm lenses.

The framelines are calculated for the crops of each focal length lens.

Jupiter-12 would be interesting to compare between a front-side illuminated CMOS sensor with a thick stack vs BSI thin stack. The 7artisans 50/1.1 with its protruding rear element is a second.

How? Very easily.

It has manually chosen electronic brightline parallax corrected frame lines for 28/35/40/50mm lenses.

The framelines are calculated for the crops of each focal length lens.

I was talking about 21 mm lens cropped to 31mm FOV. Here is no framelines for it. And no external VF to match this FOV, except, maybe, some heavy, bulky, expensive exotics.

So, you are OK with 24 viewfinder for 21 lens? I'm not.

No, because the wider you get the more a couple mm makes a difference. I was talking about 28/31, not 21/24. It's a moot point, since the framelines are made for the crop apparently.

I think it's amazing they actually were able to make a second version... and with a modern sensor. As far as price, how can you expect them to make these cheaper? They must be a tiny company and it must be expensive to make / start a new camera company.

I have used the new Pixii. I can assure you that it indeed does have an electronic global shutter.

I noticed no "rolling shutter artifacts."

Stephen

Are you sure? Everywhere I've read seems to indicate that the newer 26mp model does not have global shutter.

IF the sensor is the standard Sony IMX571, it is listed as having a rolling shutter. Every Focal Plane Shutter used in a Digital camera can be considered as a rolling shutter once it is above the Sync speed. 1/250th Sync Speed means 4 milliseconds to roll across the sensor.

How many shutter artifacts do people notice when using focal plane shutters in comparison with leaflet shutters?

The Sony IMX571 is also used in a camera intended for astronomy-

https://www.qhyccd.com/qhyccd-qhy268ph-imx571-cmos/

More technical specs listed. This scope camera is not much less than the Pixii, and it does not have a rangefinder. The Sony sensor has both color and monochrome versions. I can see a Pixii Monochrome camera being offered.

Price- less than a new Leica CL digital which does not have a Rangefinder, has the same crop factor, and about the same resolution. I'd rather have the optical viewfinder of the Pixii than the EVF.

No, because the wider you get the more a couple mm makes a difference. I was talking about 28/31, not 21/24. It's a moot point, since the framelines are made for the crop apparently.

So are M8 framelines. But M8 has 24 framelines included for 24 lens on x1.33 sensor.

Back