New RX1 III

gzisis69

Established
Local time
3:25 AM
are we waiting for a new rx1 model to be anounced soon ? im looking for something small like ricoh gr snd pocketable but with 35mm lens and find this model great

are we waiting for a new rx1 model to be anounced soon ? im looking for something small like ricoh gr snd pocketable but with 35mm lens and find this model great

I haven´t heard anything recently. What could they add? I´m not sure of any new sensor... I guess they could up the EVF res, etc. What´s wrong with the last one?

Also, this camera is far from a GR when it comes to pocket-ability. It is a lot heavier and the lens sticks out really far. The X100F would be closer, but even that is bigger. The GR is unique and the new one should be out in September.

As the GR-III was not announced at CP+, I picked up a X100F this week as I liked the concept of pairing it with the SP-3 square format Instax printer while traveling.
Still coming to terms with it: loving the OVF and high ISO performance.
But it is certainly is not as discreet in use or as quick on the draw as the Ricoh GR, so I am reluctant to call the larger camera the winner.
The latest rumor mill has the GR-III appearing in September along with a revitalized GRblog website.
Now, if in the same timeframe, Sony can come up with a curved sensor to allow a compact 40mm equivalent lens, things will get interesting.

what will they change in ricoh ? is it worth to wait for it ?

I would imagine it will have an updated sensor with more resolution, dynamic range, and higher ISO capabilities... since the the sensor in the current GR is 5 years old or more.

Also, probably better low light AF since this is also something that all cameras have gained in the past 5 years.

Outside of that, hopefully not much...

As the GR-III was not announced at CP+, I picked up a X100F this week as I liked the concept of pairing it with the SP-3 square format Instax printer while traveling.
Still coming to terms with it: loving the OVF and high ISO performance.
But it is certainly is not as discreet in use or as quick on the draw as the Ricoh GR, so I am reluctant to call the larger camera the winner.
The latest rumor mill has the GR-III appearing in September along with a revitalized GRblog website.
Now, if in the same timeframe, Sony can come up with a curved sensor to
allow a compact 40mm equivalent lens, things will get interesting.

I lost my GR a couple weeks ago, and rather than replace it or wait for the III, I also went with the X100F. Like you say, it's no GR replacement, but I'm enjoying it. I'm trying to figure out a way to simulate snap focus, which was my main shooting mode. I look forward to seeing what Ricoh has in store. They sure know how to design a street camera.

John

Just seeing this thread and it is already morphed to Ricoh GR! ...oh well, not much love on RFF for Sony RX1 cameras :)

I saw a rumor thread about an RX1R III with improvements to include 4K video, IBIS, and maybe EVF improvement for manual focusing. With patience, I can hold the camera pretty steady to even 1/8 sec but with 42MP a little shake goes a long way. I do find the extra megapixels nice for cropping occasionally to increase field of view.

Just seeing this thread and it is already morphed to Ricoh GR! ...oh well, not much love on RFF for Sony RX1 cameras :)

Wonderful cameras. The point about the pocketability of the GR is well-taken, but 28mm is just too wide for me. The rumored enhancements would be nice, but I don’t know that they would justify the upgrade price for me, or the workflow disruption since I will never move to subscription Lightroom bondage.

Fazal,

Mine was a light jab because I see that the "Post Your Images to the RX1" thread is not very active here. And I wasn't meaning to compare to the GR because I guess they are very different cameras. For a fixed lens camera though, I agree the 35mm feels just right :)

David

The RX1RmII is a joy to use and packs a punch in a small form factor. 35mm is the perfect FL for a fixed lens camera for my purposes (social and street). What I would like to see in a mod III is IBIS and weather sealing but I doubt is that would be enough for me to upgrade.

The title may not mention the GR but the OP does...

and regarding love... Sony cameras are a bit too small and fiddly. I, for one, wanted to like it... but it was too annoying to use. As you can expect, RFF members are going to be a picky breed when it comes to ergonomics and haptics.

The title may not mention the GR but the OP does...

and regarding love... Sony cameras are a bit too small and fiddly. I, for one, wanted to like it... but it was too annoying to use. As you can expect, RFF members are going to be a picky breed when it comes to ergonomics and haptics.

Yes I saw that in the original post. And I know that the Sony's aren't for everyone. I personally have no use for the A7 series but the form factor of the RX1R very much appeals and works for me. And once organized, I can get around the menus on the RX1 quickly. One caveat is the two-step to enlarge an image during preview. That should have been addressed long ago, but I live with it. Lord knows the M9 has it's inconveniences! :)

Well, I'd love to see a RX1R III, because it would make the price of RX1r IIs drop, and the bigger sensor and faster AF might just get me to replace my original RX1r.

I had the older RX1R before the current MII model. After i got the newer one, i considered that I might be as happy with the older one. More and more I am liking the improvements and yes prices have come down on used RX1R II cameras. I took advantage of that. i hope you find one :)

I'm sticking to my RX1Rii until the RX1Riii comes out. It's my favourite daily use camera, so versatile. Love that sensor. In my fantasies I dream of an RX1Riii which is basically an X100F with the 35/2 Sonnar and the Sony sensor. And that's it, really.

Back