New Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 M Now Available

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
5:46 PM
Thanks for your interest,

please see https://shop.cameraquest.com/voigtlander-leica-mount-lenses/voigtlander-21mm-f/1.4-leica-m/

Extremely fast 21mm f/1.4 lens with outstanding optical performance featuring 12 aperture blades for dreamy bokeh, outstanding correction for distortion and chromatic aberrations, 4 aspheric lens surfaces, 3 high index elements, floating lens elements for maximum sharpness.
Main features:

● Beautiful bokeh with 12 aperture blades giving circular diaphragm pattern. Out-of-focus light sources are beautifully round and soft instead of polygonal.

● Outstanding optical performance utilizing floating elements in close focus range infinity. Distortion eliminated using two spherical elements with four aspheric surfaces. Chromatic aberration has been eliminated with three high index elements.

● Detachable compact square bayonet lens hood included. The square design is very effective while also preventing interference with rangefinder focusing.

● Rangefinder close focusing to .7 meters. Close focusing extended to .5 meters on live view M's or with adapted live view mirrorless cameras.

● Manual focus for precise and reliable focus control.
All-metal high precision helicoid focusing allows quick and easy fine focus adjustments.

●Leica M mount lens for all Leica M mount cameras, as well as easy adaptation to mirrorless digital cameras.

voigtlander_21mm_f1_4_leica_m-3.jpg

voigtlander_21mm_f1_4_leica_m.jpg

voigtlander_21mm_f1_4_leica_m-5.jpg

Thanks,

Stephen

This looks fantastic. I wasn't aware that this lens was coming, it's great news. I do wonder how it performs on non-Leica bodies, but for the M shooter, it's going to be wonderful. I hope Voigtlander will create a fast 25, too. Even a 25mm f2 would be nice. This 21mm, along with the 40/1.2, could be an entire travel kit.

This looks fantastic. I wasn't aware that this lens was coming, it's great news. I do wonder how it performs on non-Leica bodies, but for the M shooter, it's going to be wonderful. I hope Voigtlander will create a fast 25, too. Even a 25mm f2 would be nice. This 21mm, along with the 40/1.2, could be an entire travel kit.

I’d rather take 35 1.4 II and 21 3.5 VMs on travel :)

Received mine today, thanks Stephen! Very impressive build quality, and surprisingly heavy. I’ve just done some quick testing on an M262. Appears quite sharp across the field, without noticeable distortion, but I’m not one to photograph brick walls looking for it either. ��

Received mine today, thanks Stephen! Very impressive build quality, and surprisingly heavy. I’ve just done some quick testing on an M262. Appears quite sharp across the field, without noticeable distortion, but I’m not one to photograph brick walls looking for it either. ��

Very cool that you jumped on this interesting lens. Please share some shots. Especially if you have any that show how well coma is corrected e.g. points of light in the periphery at infinity at f1.4.

I'm with Ko.Fe.

Too big for my tastes (21 SEM is perfection. Period.) but if you need f/1,4 and 21mm, it would be nuts to go for the 21 Summilux, a lens I often see on resale for $4.5k and more. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the VM plays in the same league.

There were many positive reviews of the Sony E-mount version of this lens last year, and now I'm eager to find out how the M-mount version performs against its M-mount peers: the 1.8 Ultron and the Summilux. I have the Ultron and am wondering if the upgrade is worth it, beyond the obvious difference in specs and hood.

It might be more of an academic comparison, but I'm also curious how this performs on mirrorless compared to its E-mount sibling, just to see how much Voigtlander tweaks different versions of their lenses.

The 21mm focal length is a personal favorite of mine.

I especially look forward to reading how the performance of the new $1,000 Voigtländer 21mm f/1.4 lens compares to the over $4,000 Leica 21mm f/1.4 and the $550 used Zeiss 21mm f/2.8.

21mm Lenses by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Mike, you lucky son of a gun. You're probably self quarantining, so could you post some images that show the out of focus rendering with close up objects? Man, what a great looking lens. Give me that and a 40/1.2 and I'd have a complete travel kit for my M9. Okay, so maybe a 35/2 Ultron to make a compact setup when I need it.

Mike, you lucky son of a gun. You're probably self quarantining, so could you post some images that show the out of focus rendering with close up objects?

Archiver, I'm not that good at staged photography, I think I'm much better at shooting outdoors... but, since you asked here you go. Live from a room in my house, here are some images shot at f1.4 at the minimum focusing distance.

Nokton 21mm f1.4 VM lens, Sony A7II
Yokosuka, Japan - March 2020

DSC07484.JPG

DSC07486.JPG

DSC07489.JPG

Same image cropped
DSC07489%2B%25282%2529.JPG

DSC07491.JPG

Same image cropped
DSC07491%2B%25282%2529.JPG

All the best,
Mike