New word on M9 sensor from Leica

uhoh7

Mentor
Local time
2:30 AM
From Leica:

"Latest information on the CCD sensors of the Leica M9 / M9-P / M Monochrom and M-E camera models
Since the recognition of a corrosion-related problem on the cover glass of the sensors of the above-mentioned camera models (see information from 10.12.2014), we have been working with our sensor supplier on a long-term technical solution.

The development phase of a new generation of sensors has now nearly been completed. In the next phase, independent users will be testing the new sensor in practical situations to guarantee that the imaging characteristics of the cameras remain unaltered.

After completion and evaluation of this testing phase, we will begin the replacement of corroded sensors by the new-generation sensor.

As the goodwill arrangement for the replacement of affected sensors applies irrespective of the age of the camera, and also to sensors already replaced in the above-mentioned camera models, repairs will continue without interruption until the new sensors are available.
Please understand that sensor replacement can only be offered for cameras affected by the concrete problem and that preventive replacement is not possible."

http://en.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/About-Leica-News/Global/2015/Latest-information-CCD-sensors

I had the sensor replaced on my M9, but it was not due to any corrosion. The board was defective.

LOL, start to wet clean your M9/MM now as they will not replace the sensors on a prophylactic basis unless the problem is "concrete".

Over 5 years and still working great. Nice to know there is a replacement in the works if needed.

Thanks for the link.

""Latest information on the CCD sensors of the Leica M9 / M9-P / M Monochrom and M-E camera models"

Is the heading referring to the CCD sensors that will be replaced, new CCD sensors that are being developed, or both?

Will the newly developed sensors be CCD or CMOS ?

If CCD, I wonder if there will be a new M's with the new CCD sensor?

Stephen

""Latest information on the CCD sensors of the Leica M9 / M9-P / M Monochrom and M-E camera models"

Is the heading referring to the CCD sensors that will be replaced, new CCD sensors that are being developed, or both?

Stephen

My interpretation: Current problem CCDs will be replaced with stock on hand: last gen. Soon a new replacement will be available. Once it is, that will go on the problem CCDs. But you can't get a new gen if you don't have delam.

With the release of the M246 I thought CCDs would phase out, but who knows?

They tried hard to make the Q as punchy as M9/ 28 cron, and it looks pretty good. I'm also getting better with the Sony files and my A7.mod, to the point where sometimes I need to look to see what body took the finished shot.

Nevertheless, M9 Raws at base iso are very very clean, and the blacks come up fine if needed. Much better than the Sony raws.

My thinking is that if demand is strong for the current M-E then it may continue with the new CCD sensor but you won't see a new M body with CCD, there just isn't high enough demand.

Wow, I hope this pans out. I love my M-E just the way it is and if the sensor does ever develop the corrosion issue, I would like it to be replaced, I have no interest in an M240 or any of the CMOS M body cameras.

Currently in the Southwest where the temps are 100ºF plus outside where I'm shooting, and quite a bit cooler in the air-conditioned car and hotel room. Hate bringing the camera in and out of the different temps, but I need to get the job shot. I worry about the sensor corrosion issue, but hopefully what is written above will solve the problem.

Intriguing ambiguity in the announcement as to whether this "new generation" of sensors is CCD or CMOS, and its source manufacturer. Maybe the same as the mysterious Q sensor? Since as I understand it the whole sensor board assembly is changed as a unit, they're pretty well free to use whatever...

Since all the guts of the camera are set to run one particular sensor, it's not going to be any radical change.

Brian has found the new part numbers and makes some informed speculation:
http://www.leicaplace.com/threads/1232/

Tim, for what it's worth, I take my M9 from 20 to 70 degrees and back many times per day all winter long with no adverse effect, and no delamination.

Brian also suggested single shots might be easier on the sensor, which may get hot with multiples and precipitate the issue.

That said I often had to wait on my buffer, but again it was usually cold. I finally broke my shutter after over 100K shots, which was replaced and the sensor confirmed to have no corrosion, last february.

Yes, super to know that the M9 will continue to be supported with a new sensor if necessary. Huge props to Leica for developing the solution and replacing defective sensors at their cost.

LOL, start to wet clean your M9/MM now as they will not replace the sensors on a prophylactic basis unless the problem is "concrete".

Jean-Marc,

After owning my MM9 for over 2 1/2 years I just decided to wet clean my sensor for the second time. Not that I'm asking for corrosion, but I discovered some stubborn dust...

Cal

Stephen

Stephen,

My hope is that the sensor remains a CCD because I love the midrange I can achieve that resembles medium format tonality.

I would love a M-246 for the different look and the updates.

Cal

Greetings Cal, I wet cleaned my M9 several times over the years to get rid of the pesky grease spots...and have not used my M9 for about a year+ (thanks to you and Klaus for tempting me with me MM). I took it out recently and lo and behold, severe corrosion on the sensor. I just sent it off to Leica NJ for sensor replacement. The MM is fine.....Enjoy your long week-end.

Greetings Cal, I wet cleaned my M9 several times over the years to get rid of the pesky grease spots...and have not used my M9 for about a year+ (thanks to you and Klaus for tempting me with me MM). I took it out recently and lo and behold, severe corrosion on the sensor. I just sent it off to Leica NJ for sensor replacement. The MM is fine.....Enjoy your long week-end.

Jean-Marc,

I have a Nikon D3X as a backup digital. I'll be testing out a 28 F1.4D on the D3X later today.

Really amazing how important the MM9 has become to me. I'm hoping to get a 24 inch printer soon because an Epson 3880 isn't big enough.

Cal

Intriguing ambiguity in the announcement as to whether this "new generation" of sensors is CCD or CMOS, and its source manufacturer. ...

I doubt they would do such radical change. even this "new sensor" probably was expensive lesson for Leica, redesign such old tech at this stage.

as others mentioned, good demand for M-E might justify it.

Back