New word on M9 sensor from Leica

Jean-Marc,

After owning my MM9 for over 2 1/2 years I just decided to wet clean my sensor for the second time. Not that I'm asking for corrosion, but I discovered some stubborn dust...

Cal

I wet cleaned my M9 several months before sending camera in for shutter. No corrosion. They also wet cleaned it.

I won't hesitate to clean again as needed, though of course with care.

There are good videos on youtube about proper wet cleaning.

I wet cleaned my M9 several months before sending camera in for shutter. No corrosion. They also wet cleaned it.

I won't hesitate to clean again as needed, though of course with care.

There are good videos on youtube about proper wet cleaning.

I practice really good maintenance, and for the most part a blower ball was all that was required because I'm not a frequent lens changer, and I rarely or seldomly change a lens in the street (meaning not at home).

Hadn't a need for many cleanings. BTW I bought the Invisible Dust kit that includes the LED illuminated magnifier.

Cal

The thing that I am wondering about with this new replacement sensor, is what Brian (see Uhoh7's post above) has discovered about the pigments in the CFA being '2nd gen', and Leica's words in their official statement about 'independent users will be testing the new sensor in practical situations to guarantee that the imaging characteristics of the cameras remain unaltered'.
Does this mean we are going to get a whole new look out of this sensor? That could really upset us M9 owners.

The thing that I am wondering about with this new replacement sensor, is what Brian (see Uhoh7's post above) has discovered about the pigments in the CFA being '2nd gen', and Leica's words in their official statement about 'independent users will be testing the new sensor in practical situations to guarantee that the imaging characteristics of the cameras remain unaltered'.
Does this mean we are going to get a whole new look out of this sensor? That could really upset us M9 owners.

This is a great reason to own the M-A (MP, M7, etc). I am installing a new sensor every day. :D

Well it could be better, so why get ahead of ourselves and assume the worst LOL

We will know in a few months I bet.

Leica just wants to make sure that sharpness and color closely mimic the current M9
output. Reading between the lines, it won't be identical, but it will be pretty darn close. Who knows they may still offer a n M24x upgrade for the truly fussy.

I sent my MM in for a routine sensor cleaning a bit less than 2 weeks ago (to NJ)…. my first since buying the camera new 1.5 years ago. I received a call 3 days later, and the camera is diagnosed with sensor corrosion (here in the midwest humidity is a problem). Sensor replaced and on its way back, all told, will be exactly 2 weeks since sending it in. Leica received a large shipment of the original ccd sensors and are able to catch up a bit. Was told the replacement "new " sensor is still some time out. My MM has a new 3 yr. warranty on the sensor. Could not be more pleased.

Of course I'm pretty pleased that Leica have developed or co-developed this new non-corroding CCD (presumably) sensor, and that they offer to replace corroded sensors for free, which arguably they needn't have beyond warranty repairs, but if the new sensor has a quite different colour profile to the current sensor, then I predict the sh!t's going to hit the fan, even if the new colour profile is somehow 'better' than the old one.
I suppose though, having a completely different sensor fitted into our old cameras is the tech dream of many: to upgrade a good body with up-to-date innards.
Uhoh7, I AM hoping for the best, but fearing the worst.
Kwesi, I know what you mean, but an M240 is not an upgrade - it's a side-grade. I have one of those too. It's functionally much better to use than an M9, but I don't find it nearly as nice.

That is why Leica is Leica!

That is why Leica is Leica!

It has survived for many years and will continue to strive. I had my M9 sensor changed last month. It is working perfectly. However, it makes me feel good that it the problem appears again, it will be solved.
Good for Leica.

I sent my MM in for a routine sensor cleaning a bit less than 2 weeks ago (to NJ)…. my first since buying the camera new 1.5 years ago. I received a call 3 days later, and the camera is diagnosed with sensor corrosion (here in the midwest humidity is a problem). Sensor replaced and on its way back, all told, will be exactly 2 weeks since sending it in. Leica received a large shipment of the original ccd sensors and are able to catch up a bit. Was told the replacement "new " sensor is still some time out. My MM has a new 3 yr. warranty on the sensor. Could not be more pleased.

That's the fastest turnaround from NJ I have ever heard. My shutter took 6 weeks this winter, and I was relieved not more.

You must know somebody ;)

All (link... see slide 13) digital cameras sensors use CCD detection (p-dopred MOS capacitors).

However some use CCD detection and incorporate all of the other electronics required to record a raw file on a single chip. These are CMOS sensors. There are differences in timing circuit designs as well. The chip manufacturing processes are dissimilar. But the conversion of light to electrical charge is always via charge-coupled (CCD) pixels.

The preferred rendering of the M9/M8 is not due to a CCD sesnor because all sensors are CCD devices. However the sensor assembly unit when viewed as a data recording system composed of many components engineered with excellence as the highest priority is a completely different situation.

All of the technologies before the CCD pixel array – IR filter properties, color filter-array bandwidths, micro-lens design – play a role in image aesthetics.

After the data is recorded the parameters used in Bayer demosaicing interpolation algorithms must closely model the properties of the CFA bandwidths to insure rendering and tonality are optimal. It is reasonable Leica cooperates with Adobe to produce the best possible Camera Raw rendering Profile. After all all M9s ship with LR and Lica wisely adopted the DNG file standard.

So eliminating the IR filter cover glass delamination defect was only one aspect of the developing a new sensor assembly.

There is no reason to worry that Leica will not apply the very best system engineering to the new sensor assembly. After all isn't Leica all about delivering the highest possible quality? Differences in CFA, IR and other technical details could be well-within manufacturing tolerances. It may be impossible to tell the difference between the old and new sensor assemblies.

Back