night crawlers.

I'm at the moment based in Finland. I've been these last years busy writing a PhD on Chinese politics, so I've come to spend a lot of time in that direction, traveling pretty extensively among others in South-East Asia.

I partly took up photography as hobby because I was living in Shanghai and folks back home were interested in seeing how my local neighborhoods looked like.

Ah okay. That makes sense. What exactly did you write about? I live just north of Shanghai now actually, it's one of my favorite places to shoot.

U35015I1447209536.SEQ.3.jpg

Ah okay. That makes sense. What exactly did you write about? I live just north of Shanghai now actually, it's one of my favorite places to shoot.

My thesis is a theoretical take on public diplomacy and soft power, nothing very interesting I fear.

But yeah, Shanghai is nice for shooting, among others. When there I tend to visit Luban Lu -- when the yuan was cheaper it was great for getting stuff. That is quite literally the place where I bought my first own camera, some five years ago.

Brussels , last days of September 2015.

Shot with Rolleiflex 2.8C (Xenotar) on Tri-X400.

20151009_66TriX400_2_12.jpg

I was sitting in a bar 'round midnight, when I saw this couple sitting across the alley, framed in the door openings.

let's wake this thread from its slumber!

U27021I1514555797.SEQ.0.jpg

Dee Why beach, Sydney, 2016.
Rollei 35S HP5+ @800 in Fomadon LQN

Use to do a lot of night photography. Not much anymore.

2006-029-28.jpg

Contax IIIa, Sonnar, Neopan 1600 probably

1024) {this.width=1024;this.alt='Click here to see a large version';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='pointer';" onclick="if(this.alt) window.open('https://live.staticflickr.com/3793/8749966593_ddc04ccb19_c.jpg');" border="0">

Out to Lunch, on Flickr. A couple pressing and selling sugar cane juice aka "nước mía" in the night market of Vung Tau.

These traditional stalls will survive as long as their customers remember the taste of a glass of freshly pressed nước mía.

Vung Tau night market, Vietnam. July 2012. Fuji X-100.

Back