Nikkor LTM Nikkor HC 50mm F2... Wow, I am impressed

Nikkor M39 screw mount lenses

hipsterdufus

Photographer?
Local time
5:59 AM
So, my deal-hunting finally paid off on the auction site and I found a nice Nikkor HC. This lens has exactly the right OOF areas that I am looking for and has absolutely wonderful ergonomics. I took the following picture with my Bessa R2 a 1/500th of a second wide open with the Nikkor lens. It was shot on Fuji Superia 200. While I don't consider myself a particularly good nature photographer, I still love this picture:

4606441762_0ab12d51f8_o.jpg

And for those who are interested in how it looks on my recently reskinned Bessa R2:

4606459910_57e8a0e246_o.jpg

Does anyone else have some examples from this great little lens?

I have two Nikkors 50f2.0 and one 50f1.4. I love the shots with all three and I am tired of the haze, soft glass of Leica LTM lenses. I have been lucky to get the Nikkor lenses on Ebay with moderate bids.
Joe

I have one just like this with a serial number a couple hundred off from yours. a great little lens. I like the bokeh of the f1.4 better because it's smoother and not as harsh. But this lens is still very sharp and good. One of my favorites.

These are supposed to be Sonnar type lenses. Do they have the focus shift as you stop down like the modern Zeiss C-Sonnar 50/1.5 ?? I'd love to have a C-Sonnar but the focus shift puts me off. And, yes it is real, I've seen plenty of proof that it is not an 'internet myth' as some have dubbed it. Plus, the Nikon's are a hell of a lot cheaper than the Zeiss.

Sonnars all shift Chris. For the ZM Sonnar it was very obvious, since it was optimized for f2.8, originally, and the contrast is much higher than with classic lenses.

The Nikkors 50/1.4 and 50/2 have lower contrast, are optimized for close up and wide open, and shift gets hidden behind the DOF when closing down. Meaning, at infinity and closing down, you'll get a little less resolution, even in the center, than an equivalent Planar type lens of the same period (like the DR Summicron). But hardly noticeable. We've done tests here, with a friend, and even the modern Nikkor 50/1.4 Millenium behaves like this at infinity, when compared to say, a Summilux or Noctilux (both a tiny bit sharper at infinity, but lower performance close up).

Other benefits of Sonnars are the small size, typically low distortion and flare resistance (few glass surfaces). Which is why they were so popular, IMO.

That's my take on it anyways. I've owned (and tested against each other) Nikkor 50/1.4 (different vintages), Nikkor 50/2, ZM 50/1.5, Canon 50/1.5, ZM 50/1.5 (early Jupiter 3). The only one I've kept is the Nikkor 50/1.4 NKT.

The Nikkor 50/2 is an outstanding lens. Unfortunately not as cheap anymore as it used to be.

Best,

Roland.

Last edited:
I used to own a Nikkor 50/2 LTM. In my first 50mm lens comparisons at RFF, it stood out as the top performer in the comparison. Too bad that the cost for such a lens has gone up.

This is my one and only Sonnar type lens that I got from Roland a while back. I usually use slower, even smaller 50s but this is quite small for F2.0 and I like how it renders especially for portraits.

4847461065_fc898283c4_z.jpg

4865682236_746d5847bd_z.jpg

Wow, it's been awhile since I started this thread. Since buying this lens, I still feel that it was a great value for the money. I have not noticed any "focus shift"; then again, I have not tested for it, since I am only using the lens on film. I do have out of focus pictures every now and then, but I usually assume that it is my error, paired with the short EBL of the R2. Overall, the number of hits vs. misses has been phenomenal, so I don't feel that it really warrants further testing on my part.

I prefer the bokeh of the Nikkor-H 5cm f/2 over its faster and more famous big brother, the Nikkor-S 5cm f/1.4. Big brother gets a lot funkier wide open.

I prefer the bokeh of the Nikkor-H 5cm f/2 over its faster and more famous big brother, the Nikkor-S 5cm f/1.4. Big brother gets a lot funkier wide open.

Really? I love the Nikkor-S. I consider it to be one of the best 50's, to my taste.
Don't take my comment seriously though (even though it's true - I do find bokeh on most of these shots not very pleasing to my eyes, but then again, what is "pleasing bokeh"?)

I love it's lgiht blue coated lens : )

Small but quite nice performer, I think overall performances are better than Nikkor-S.C 5cm F1.4 except the aperture.

Here are first 2 shots when I got the lens from her seller.

204693214BC73B7F35616E

Nikon SP / Nikkor-HC 5cm F2 (f2.0) / Fuji Superia 200

204693214BC73B8036F095

Nikon SP / Nikkor-HC 5cm F2 (f2.0) / Fuji Superia 200

Truly FABULOUS !!!!
what a lens...what a Great EYE !

Is that or is there : a Screwmount / ltm Version ??? :D

Last edited:
Fixed! Thanks to Brian's nimble fingers.
Alex

Now THAT picture makes a kitchen table hobbyist very proud. And who would have thought that the screws in an F-Mount Nikkor-Q 135/2.8 parts lens would fit a 1950 5cm F2 Nikkor-H...

Alex's lens is LTM.

Last edited:
Back