Nikkor S.C. 5cm 1:1.4 Photos only

I am interested in getting a LTM version of this lens and I had the RF mount copy for a brief while. Does anyone know if the lens design were identical? Any notable difference between the two?

Thank you in advance.

I am interested in getting a LTM version of this lens and I had the RF mount copy for a brief while. Does anyone know if the lens design were identical?

Same optics mounted in a different mount. Minor optical and coating changes were made during the course of production, but they were applied to both S-mount and LTM lenses.

If you're not looking specifically for an early "Tokyo" lens or a lens in a certain serial number range, I recommend looking for a later "black ring" LTM lens. Nikon made a significant improvement to the LTM focus helical during production just before the black ring version appeared that pretty much removes the slight play found in early lenses when starting to move the focus ring. The black ring version is guaranteed to have this improved focus helical.

Same optics mounted in a different mount. Minor optical and coating changes were made during the course of production, but they were applied to both S-mount and LTM lenses.

If you're not looking specifically for an early "Tokyo" lens or a lens in a certain serial number range, I recommend looking for a later "black ring" LTM lens. Nikon made a significant improvement to the LTM focus helical during production just before the black ring version appeared that pretty much removes the slight play found in early lenses when starting to move the focus ring. The black ring version is guaranteed to have this improved focus helical.

I thank you for your recommendation, Jonmanjiro. This is very useful.

I looked around for the black ring version a little but it looks quite rare. I will keep an eye out! Thank you.

NikonS2/Nikkor50mmf/1.4SC/TMY400/AdoxMCC110

Erik.

51913728037_3e7a052d23_b.jpg

My Nikkor 5cm f1.4 is a black body version (serial #385061) that came w a black dial S2. I have a backlog of film to develop from this camera... in the meantime here’s another from that lens, on my Leica M-E Type 240...

On the water by bingley0522, on Flickr

I don't love how this lens looks wide open - mine, which came on an S2, might have a light amount of haze which renders the highlights particularly glowy at lower apertures. Considering picking up the VC 50mm 2.5 (or other modern 50), but i do like the size and compactness of the 50 1.4, and it's great stopped down a little.

000643450026_24A.jpg

Nikon S2/Nikkor50mmf/1.4/TMY400-2/IlfordMGFB

Erik.

48633599867_e05fbe4637_b.jpg

Fantastic photo, Erik. I look at this and the other photos you and others have posted on this thread, and I’m hard pressed to understand why the Nikkor-SC 5cm f1.4 gets such a bad rap among Sonnar-design lenses. I don’t think the lens is inferior to the Zeiss Opton Sonnar 5cm f1.5, for example, but I’ve seen comments on RFF to that effect.

Back