Nikon 50mm f1.4 lens calibration

Imakebadphotos

Established
Local time
2:53 AM
Hay everyone! Quick question. I have a S-mount nikkor 50mm f1.5 "5005" lens. I noticed that when forused at infinity the lens is ever so slightly out of focus if I move the lens a bit out from infinity the farthest area are relatively sharp. So my question is, can this lens be calibrated? Or is what im experiencing is focus shift? I tested this lens on a Leica m10 with a nikon S to leica adapter. Thanks.

That’s normal for Sonnars - the designers gave up wide open infinity focus for better accuracy at close distances.

That’s normal for Sonnars - the designers gave up wide open infinity focus for better accuracy at close distances.
thats interesting because at close distance, wide open, I still have to slightly adjust past the aligned rangefinder patch. Its not a big deal, i was just curious about it. Thanks

thats interesting because at close distance, wide open, I still have to slightly adjust past the aligned rangefinder patch. Its not a big deal, i was just curious about it. Thanks

You’re welcome. Yes, there will still be focus shift, just less. Of course this all assumes your camera and adapter are well adjusted.

This lens can be adjusted. There is a shim that sets the stand-off between the optical barrel and the mount. A single retaining ring holds the lens in the mount, it can be unscrewed using a rubber sheet or cork. You will need to thicken the shim if the lens focuses behind the RF, and reduce thickness of the actual focus is in front of the point indicated by the RF, Adjustments must typically be made within 0.02mm to get agreement between lens and RF,

Typically, my prewar uncoated nickel/black paint Sonnar 50mm f1.5 doesn't need any adaptation when on the Nikon S2.

gelatin silver print (sonnar uncoated nickel/black paint 50mm f1.5) nikon s2

Erik.

52467150603_c1948a4cc3_b.jpg

Back