Nikon Sp Black and Nikkor 1:1.1 f=5cm

Well, you have to realize this is the dilemma of every sale. That is why you ask for offers, or go to an auction and set a reserve.

But you have to get over the idea of being ripped off.

If a dealer buys your equipment they will try to sell it for more, of course they may not be able to, but it their intention.

If a private party buys it, the camera may go up in value in ten years, or not.

You should sell it when you are ready. Put it in a safe deposit box for now, after taking some good photos of it. You do not have to sell it this week.

Getting the best price is like selling stock, hindsight is always all we have, and timing the market is impossible.

Good advice.
I have started to get a sense of the value (whether real or not). I had a shop in London offer me £1800 for the body, motor and lens, which I have rejected based on the comments here.
I will have to have a think......

Good advice.
I have started to get a sense of the value (whether real or not). I had a shop in London offer me £1800 for the body, motor and lens, which I have rejected based on the comments here.
I will have to have a think......

If you can manage to join rangefinder forum then you can surely Google and check eBay for sold black Nikon sp, nikkor 50mm 1.1 and Nikon s36, at the moment on the big auction site there is a black sp with a 50mm 1.1. I would also remember that even though you may see similar cameras for sale they have been for a long time!
Good luck hope it goes well.

Good advice!!

Why I only research completed auctions, either on eBay or at the auction houses like WestLicht.

There are many on eBay who runs ads over and over, purely as a way to have a presence in the market. Or they are simply out of touch with reality.

Exactly.

it is the kind of camera etc that will probably only go up in price in the long-run.:D

If you can manage to join rangefinder forum then you can surely Google and check eBay for sold black Nikon sp, nikkor 50mm 1.1 and Nikon s36, at the moment on the big auction site there is a black sp with a 50mm 1.1. I would also remember that even though you may see similar cameras for sale they have been for a long time!
Good luck hope it goes well.

Yep. In fact Google (other search engines are available :) )was my first port of call. Perhaps not surprisingly. That is how I found out about this forum.

I looked at completed eBay listings but as I dug deeper I learnt more...
- Who knew that people painted silver cameras black? Not me! And this clearly affects the value
- I have learnt about brassing wear and tear. I think I only understanding because I looked at my camera.
- In some ways eBay (completed and still active) and other auction sites listings have just confused me more. The current lens you mention on eBay is listed at $26,000. I don't believe that.
- And I learnt that people on this forum are very helpful!

So I still have a lot to learn and I am not sure Google/eBay combination is the answer.

Some folks like extremely high prices at very high buy-it-now prices which
maybe work for them as advertising or as a starting point for off-eBay negotiation

these prices are always questionable and generally way out of range

- In some ways eBay (completed and still active) and other auction sites listings have just confused me more. The current lens you mention on eBay is listed at $26,000. I don't believe that.

There have been Nikkor lens sales for over $70k, which in retrospect seems insane, but there were moments shear insanity during the '90s.

There simply are no set values when it comes to collectibles, no matter what anyone tells you, there are always exceptions. :)

Thanks for the advice.

Some folks like extremely high prices at very high buy-it-now prices which
maybe work for them as advertising or as a starting point for off-eBay negotiation

these prices are always questionable and generally way out of range

Thanks, I won't get my hopes up.

I suggested Westlicht previously, and I stil believe that is possibly your best way forward.

As for UK dealers in generally, tread very carefully. I recall a local dealer to me proudly telling a few years ago of how he bought a Nikon S2 from an innocent seller for £50, and proceeded to sell it on quite quickly for around £750. And this was a very reputable dealership.

One who might be worth considering having a chat with is Peter Loy. I have had a few good experiences with him and he does know what he is talking about. A phone call can do no harm. He is currently selling a Nikon I for about £10000, and always has a bit of Nikon RF kit for sale. He might have some helpful suggestions, and may offer to sell on comission, which might be an option. For a tidy fee, of course.

http://www.peterloy.com/stock-list.php

Whatever, don't rush it!

Ok, it may be over 6 years since I posted this and thank you again for all your kind words about my late fathers setup.
I took the advice of many of you and have kept the complete setup. I was just moving it the other day and thought it might be fun to try it out.
I haven’t yet done so.
I was never able to find the battery pack for the S36 motor back. I have had a quick look and there isn’t any information about a replacement ( I.e voltage, setup etc.). Original battery packs appear to be rare ( almost as rare as my Black SP 😄) and always sold with the motor pack. Any advice ?
I know I can use the manual winder to try the camera and lens out and will do at some point.
Thanks again Alan (newbie)

Ok, it may be over 6 years since I posted this and thank you again for all your kind words about my late fathers setup.
I took the advice of many of you and have kept the complete setup. I was just moving it the other day and thought it might be fun to try it out.
I haven’t yet done so.
I was never able to find the battery pack for the S36 motor back. I have had a quick look and there isn’t any information about a replacement ( I.e voltage, setup etc.). Original battery packs appear to be rare ( almost as rare as my Black SP 😄) and always sold with the motor pack. Any advice ?
I know I can use the manual winder to try the camera and lens out and will do at some point.

Thanks for the follow up. Please give the camera a try, for the sake of the many forum members, me included, who can only dream of using such a nice setup. But since you are a beginner, please take your time, study the camera and lens settings, download a light meter app. Maybe exercise the shutter a couple dozen times before you put in film after all those years.

And don't worry about the motor winder, blasting shots off quickly will be on the very bottom of your priority list.

I haven’t yet done so.
You can try a battery pack for motor F36, those are much easier to find e.g. in ebay.

Back