Nikon to end camera production in Japan Dec 2020

How sad, I've always viewed Nikon as one of those quintessentially Japanese companies that really represents the spirit of Japanese design and attention to detail.

This news makes the Z cameras less appealing for the foreseeable future for me personally.

The English version of the article says manufacture of bodies will leave Japan for Thailand - what about Nikon lenses? Or did I miss that?

The English version of the article says manufacture of bodies will leave Japan for Thailand - what about Nikon lenses? Or did I miss that?

All the Z mount lenses have been made in China so far apart from the Noct. A lot of the most recent F-mount nikkors have been too, including some of the G primes. The 105mm f1.4E comes to mind - and had a few quality control issues if I recall correctly.

Both the dpreview note and the mention on Nikon Rumours stems from the same LIFESTYLE article on AREAdot - it is not two different sources.

It is the author's personal nostalgic look back on Nikon's camera production (NOT A News article) and it appears to quote a Nikon press release, but it is not dated or signed and I can't find any similar statement on the official Nikon Japan Corporate site.

In fact it appears to be old news:
With the poor results in the financial statement in the fall, Nikon already announced that production would be moved to Thailand - The industri guessed that would mean that the Sendai production site would close when transfer was completed.

If the Japanese source linked in this thread is to be trusted, this is actually good news, as it makes clear that the Sendai plant will continue to produce "high-performance and high-precision parts required for video products". So far, the Z6/Z7series transfer to Thailand is completed, while D6 will be transferred by end of next year (2021).

All the Z mount lenses have been made in China so far apart from the Noct. ....
NOT correct. 24-70/2.8S is also made in Japan. 50/1.8, 24-70/4.0, 24-200mm and others are made in Thailand.
Actually, I am only certain that the little 24-50 kit lens for the Z5 is made in China.

How sad, I've always viewed Nikon as one of those quintessentially Japanese companies that really represents the spirit of Japanese design and attention to detail.

This news makes the Z cameras less appealing for the foreseeable future for me personally.

Odd way to look at it, that’s what happens in business sir, they have to make moves to remain solvent. I have been using Nikon in my business for over 33 years, it’s been largely faultless equipment and that includes the Z series stuff.

Whether made in Japan or Thailand, I find the equipment to be top notch and that includes my new ZII cams.

Many Nikon cameras were not made in Japan for long time.
This is why I prefer it to Canon. My RP is made in Japan.

Canon non L lenses are not made in Japan. Not sure where RF L lenses are made.

Odd way to look at it, that’s what happens in business sir, they have to make moves to remain solvent. I have been using Nikon in my business for over 33 years, it’s been largely faultless equipment and that includes the Z series stuff.

Whether made in Japan or Thailand, I find the equipment to be top notch and that includes my new ZII cams.

Good things can be made anywhere and the Z cameras look great, but the only reason to manufacture in a low wage country is for cost cutting. I am willing to pay more to have a Japanese made Nikon. This is just my personal philosophy.
I work for one of the largest jeans companies in the world but don't personally wear their jeans because they chose to switch manufacturing to countries with minimal labour costs. As a result, their current jeans aren't as good as their old ones. The same story can be found just about anywhere one looks.

Again, just my opinion.

NOT correct. 24-70/2.8S is also made in Japan. 50/1.8, 24-70/4.0, 24-200mm and others are made in Thailand.
Actually, I am only certain that the little 24-50 kit lens for the Z5 is made in China.

I stand corrected. But neither Thailand or China is Japan, and that's the issue.

But neither Thailand or China is Japan, and that's the issue. Old-style thinking.

Hold a pair of US made 501s in your hands, and then hold a pair made anywhere else and tell me it's 'old style thinking'. Cost cutting = dilution of the product and eventually dilution of the company.

It is the author's personal nostalgic look back on Nikon's camera production (NOT A News article) and it appears to quote a Nikon press release

The author is quoting a comment made by Hiroyuki Ikegami, General Manager of Imaging Business Unit (shown in the Nikon executive list here). The < > characters indicate the quote.

それについて、ニコンに尋ねると、常務執行役員・映像事業部長の池上博敬さんからこんなコメントをいただいた。

<仙台の生産工場(仙台ニコン)は、およそ40年続いたカメラ生産をタイ工場に移管しますが、映像製品に必要な高機能・高精度な部品生産を継続し、タイの生産工場の生産立ち上げなどで今後もサポートして参ります。
同時に、カメラ生産と新製品立ち上げで培った生産技術力、機動力をベースにニコンの将来を支える新規事業のスタートアップ工場としても活躍していきます。カメラ生産の移管先であるタイの生産工場は1990年に設立、約30年もの間カメラや交換レンズの生産を続けており、ニコンの主力工場として長年にわたりニコンクオリティーを実現しています。これからも変わらずに皆さまにご満足いただける高い品質の製品を提供して参ります。引き続きニコン製品をご愛顧賜りますようお願い申し上げます>

If the Japanese source linked in this thread is to be trusted..

The author of the article, Akihito Yonekura, is a journalist for Asahi Camera magazine and well connected in the Japanese photography industry. No reason not to trust it.

They've been making DSLRs in Thailand for many years. Why the consternation now all of a sudden?

Baffling indeed. Nikon Thailand has been manufacturing Nikon products for 30 years already.

Hold a pair of US made 501s in your hands, and then hold a pair made anywhere else and tell me it's 'old style thinking'. Cost cutting = dilution of the product and eventually dilution of the company.

The only good thing about outsourcing, it makes people's life better where it is outsourced. Eventually. Thailand was dirt cheap, but they have grown to be better than red China, I believe.

Does it make quality better? LG, Samsung appliances made in S.K. were better than current made else were.

Bosh which is sold in Canada and made who knows where is utter garbage.

And I prefer made in Japan vehicle to anything else. We have made in Mexico car and it is mama Russia Lada.

But who knows. Looking at crappy digital Leica and Mercedes doesn't make Made in Germany appealing anymore.
Japan might come same way.

I think, so called progressive should go in arms against of talks like this and ban "made in" label.

But...
They say company with fake Honda logo has purchased Boston Dynamics.
Soon location of production plant will be not determined where labor is at slave rate and unions not exist, but where transportation and land are cheaper. We might see the machine rise in the rusted belt.

No idea what you are referring to but if there is an issue, blame it on the quality control managers, and not on the country where your stuff is made. Cheers, OtL

Other than the D6 and the other top pro models, all Nikon's DSLRs have been made in Thailand for quite a while. Most of Nikon's lenses are being made in China or Thailand. If you've read any online test results in the last few years you know the ƒ/1.8 standard series Nikkor lenses, made outside Japan, usually have better optical performance than the ƒ/1.4 premium Japanese-made equivalents. The premium priced lenses are considered better built due to the use of metal in place of some plastic parts.

Nothing new here. The Sendai production will finally end but the design operation will likely continue. Most of Sendai's production ended long ago. I look at my newer (if you can call the D610 and D810 "new") Nikon bodies and current production lenses and they all say Made In China/Thailand. Only the older stuff says Made in Japan.

It's time to come to grips with the fact that Made In China and Made In Thailand no longer has a negative connotation. Being an old fart, I can remember when Made In Japan was considered cheap crap, not worth owning. Today we're arguing for Japanese product superiority.

Back