Nikon to end camera production in Japan Dec 2020

It's sad from the perspective of chasing the all might lowest cost of production and how it helps lay waste to the middle class (did it amazingly well here in the US) in the country where companies where built from initially.

On a side note it's interesting how Nikon pendulum swung wildly in an effort to find a Mirror-less home run. The 1 was small, priced right, limited, but had great point that often overshined some of the bad. IMHO, they pulled a Kodak and didn't get behind it (e.g. never saw enough prime glass), though body-wise they seemed to keep up with the Jones well. Then they go all in on the Z series with glass that reminds me of Pentax 67 in size, initially missing what many of us love about mirrorless (smaller size).

B2 (;->

Wonder though why Canon has had more success with mirrorless than Nikon. Also wonder how long for the world are DSLRs in general.

Wonder though why Canon has had more success with mirrorless than Nikon. Also wonder how long for the world are DSLRs in general.

A lot of the relative Canon success in the US (not sure about the other world wide marketplaces) is not the products but Nikon's USA backward inept management.

Nikon has the inside reputation of arrogance in handling their dealers and their pros. Add to that dismal terrible misguided advertising, which is only made worse by insulting female photogs and refusing to apologize for it.

A smarter more effective move to get Nikon profitable again would be firing top Nikon Management and giving bonuses for Canon management to move to Nikon. Very sad, but very true.

Stephen

Canon at least has a really reasonable price for their EOS RP...something Nikon failed to do with their FF mirrorless cameras, they needed a budget priced model to compete with the RP and the Sony A7 and the A7 II when on sale.

The EOS RP body can be found new for a grand in Canada and the Nikon Z5 body is at least 1800 bucks here.

It's sad from the perspective of chasing the all might lowest cost of production and how it helps lay waste to the middle class (did it amazingly well here in the US) in the country where companies where built from initially.

On a side note it's interesting how Nikon pendulum swung wildly in an effort to find a Mirror-less home run. The 1 was small, priced right, limited, but had great point that often overshined some of the bad. IMHO, they pulled a Kodak and didn't get behind it (e.g. never saw enough prime glass), though body-wise they seemed to keep up with the Jones well. Then they go all in on the Z series with glass that reminds me of Pentax 67 in size, initially missing what many of us love about mirrorless (smaller size).

B2 (;->

I don't quite get what Nikon was thinking with the 1 series. It's like they tried to out-micro Micro 4/3, then a year or two later Sony and others came along with 1" sensor compacts and made the whole 1 series system superfluous.

It's been awhile since I have had to log off this site for being annoyed as hell at a thread but alas, here I am.

I have relied on Nikon gear as my primary camera system to earn a living with since 1989 so it really sucks to hear a bunch of arm chair experts spout off doom and gloom, this brand did it better, blah, blah blah.

It happens I guess...

To me Canon has more success than Nikon.

Canon has broadcast, cine cameras and lenses for both. Canon has printers and such. Canon in Canada has huge main office and very sufficient, nice to deal with service departments for photo gear. To me Canon in Canada is no brainier for camera, lenses choice.

What Nikon has? Bunch of old DSLRs and nothing special mirrorless.

DSLRs are going to be here for some time. Every store I walk in has DLSRs.
In fact Costco has next to only, but DLSRs.

On events before C19, I have seen very few accredited photogs with mirrorless. Most of those who were at the right spot and into the game had DSLRs with huge zooms on them.

We don't know how gearheads oriented market is going to be revolved.
Leica is praised for its primitive functionalities. But DSLRs are about the same, in a better than Leica fetish way. With unsurpassed battery capacity. All Canikon needs to do is to make FF DSLR which will be same size as film SLRs. Add some dials with numbers, metal bodies and it will be just as popular as FujiFilm X croppers.
OVF is just as analog as film these days. Where are many more SLR body lovers than RF. Look and FujiFilm, Olympus fake SLRs.

It is appeal (hipsta, retro style) which is driving sales these days on cameras market, not functionality. Slim SLR has sex appeal.

I think you’re right KoFe. Odd thing is that Nikon *almost* did the compact thing with the Df but executed it poorly (too fiddly, low Rez sensor, no split circle focusing screen despite backward compatibility with non-AI lenses).

And then, never followed up with a model to correct glaring oversights.

What Nikon has? Bunch of old DSLRs and nothing special mirrorless.

I suppose it depends on your genre. I am heavily involved in the night photography and astro-landscape photography communities, and they have overwhelmingly switched to (or stuck with) Nikon. Even many of the strongest die-hard Canon shooters are packing a Z6 or Z7 in their bags nowadays.

Nikon has the inside reputation of arrogance in handling their dealers and their pros. Add to that dismal terrible misguided advertising, which is only made worse by insulting female photogs and refusing to apologize for it.

That sounds all too familiar. In the 90's i befriened a guy who was testing cameras for the photographic press. Nikon was an exclusive club - Nikon would contact them, not the other way around. Canon was very different - when they launched the EOS5 they posted two cameras to every photographic magazine. Canon public relations has always been very proactive.

It's been awhile since I have had to log off this site for being annoyed as hell at a thread but alas, here I am.

I have relied on Nikon gear as my primary camera system to earn a living with since 1989 so it really sucks to hear a bunch of arm chair experts spout off doom and gloom, this brand did it better, blah, blah blah.

It happens I guess...

Nikon has been losing money for the past few years if I'm right, maybe even longer. They recently laid off over 2,000 people, and shifting production to countries outside of Japan is just the latest cost cutting move. Nikon is in "survival mode" and you can argue that everything they're doing now is necessary for their long-term survival. We'll see if it works.

Jim B.

Back