Nobody there

Love the theme...
...a man's dream is an house...only stones now...[/IMG]
Dear Robert,

Yes. The relationship between ruins and "nobody there" is often fascinating. Like you, I look at ruins and wonder how and when they fell into ruin. And of course some buildings are rehabilitated. A house I can see from my front door is now occupied; a few years ago, the roof had fallen in, but it was eventually repaired.

Cheers,

R.

Oscuro; said:
Madame,

This made me crying a little. I am reminded of a story about Hemingway. He says to friend in bar that he can tell a story in six words. His friend bets against that. Hemingway: "For sale. Baby shoes. Never worn."

Hemingway wins. My heart breaks.
Cord.
Mme. Oscuro

Hello Mme. Oscuro,

How I loved your way of words...
Hemingway's words
A story of six words bittersweet
Thank You, Sublime !

I have no problem with links. Cuff links, chain links, golf links or Roger's links.

(By the way, I tell that Hemingway story often.)

I have no problem with the link. It's not like I'm going to rush to buy a print. I also enjoy the creativity of Roger and others who think up novel themes. No one has talked about the images themselves, some of which are a little insipid to me, a little washed out, not up to the potential of the idea itself.

And taken with one of my all-time favorites, the Df.

Thanks for adding interest to our photography, Roger.

I have no problem with the link. It's not like I'm going to rush to buy a print. I also enjoy the creativity of Roger and others who think up novel themes. No one has talked about the images themselves, some of which are a little insipid to me, a little washed out, not up to the potential of the idea itself. . . .

Indeed, but this is to some extent a question of monitors. They look pretty bad on my laptops; OK (but not brilliant) on an ordinary flat screen; and really not too bad on the old CRT monitor that I use for image editing.

And thanks for the kind words. I freely admit that I am not the best photographer in the world, but I'm quite a good writer, and my hope always is that I will, via a combination of words and pictures, inspire people to do better than I. It's a poor teacher who doesn't want his pupils to outshine him.

Cheers,

R.

Indeed, but this is to some extent a question of monitors. They look pretty bad on my laptops; OK (but not brilliant) on an ordinary flat screen; and really not too bad on the old CRT monitor that I use for image editing.

And thanks for the kind words. I freely admit that I am not the best photographer in the world, but I'm quite a good writer, and my hope always is that I will, via a combination of words and pictures, inspire people to do better than I. It's a poor teacher who doesn't want his pupils to outshine him.

Cheers,

R.

Roger, rereading my original post, it seems a little harsh, which wasn't intended. I take your point about monitors. I've seen your body of work and it's a good one.

I think sometimes these forums are mutual admiration societies and stray far from honest criticism. We line up to say something nice about this person's work in hopes he'll say something nice about our work.

And, in the words of Seinfeld, "There's nothing wrong with that".

Hi Roger,
Sorry it always comes down to this petty trolling. I for one, find you the most insightful writer on this site. You are much appreciated.
Charlie

med_U45148I1528226120.SEQ.1.jpg

Accentuate the positive, even when it’s about negative space.

Glad to see the contributions of Helen and Mme Oscuro. I like RFF better when they are around. I also like RFF better when Roger is around. And I don’t imagine I’m the only person here who dislikes the tiresome incursion of ad hominem attacks disguised as moral superiority.

So, naysayers, critics—why not contribute an image and join the fellowship?

In reading over this thread I get the impression that some are just giving him a hard time. I appreciate Roger's civility in response, that would be difficult for some. BTW, for anyone concerned about this thread, please take the time to read RFF's FAQ and Guidelines, linked from the top of every page. You know, its that thing you clicked that you read when you joined RFF. Attacking other members is not permitted. If you have problems with posts, report them to the Admins and Mods.

While I am not a fan of Roger's linking to long articles instead of posting them here, this is not such a serious offense that it would get Roger (or anyone else) banned first time, every time.

So, for those who are not a Roger fan (or anyone else for that matter), don't read their posts. Roger link to your site, but emphasize new posts at RFF.

As most of you know, Roger and Francis are going through difficult times with Francis' health. That is a very tough situation to handle. It turns your life up side down.

I don't want RFF in any way to add to Roger's stress (or anyone else's). Let us try to appreciate and get along with one another.

Best to All,

Stephen

I've seemingly got quite a lot of these sorts of shots, more than I realized.

I've noticed that quite a few (myself included, I admit) have a thing for Feral Furniture shots, which definitely fit this theme ...

28067185799_cf1d7d7c69_c.jpg

I think this poem may explain the concept:

"As I was going up the stair
I met a man who wasn't there!
He wasn't there again today,
Oh how I wish he'd go away!"

extracted from "Antigonish" by William Hughes Mearns

Back