not much excitement about new fuji gear!?

Canon failed RP with absence of tiny lenses. 50 1.8 RF and nothing else as truly compact lens. Samyang has useless to me UWA and tele AF primes in RF, but they are so suborn on release of their super tiny 24/35 2.8 in RF...
I just hate this situation. Tiny, light RP and no matching lenses at all....

FujiFilm has tiny 28 pancake coming. Weather sealed...

I am still happy with my XT-2. I use it more often to digitalize negatives, but do like the shooting experience and the resulting images.

I think the lack of excitement comes from the fact that producing excellent digital cameras and lenses has been a solved problem for ages now. Now they keep coming with so-called upgrades that actually serve very little purpose. 2021 cameras will not help anyone make better pictures than 2020, 2019, 2018, etc... cameras.

That's an easy problem - my X-E2S would not start up properly, so I sent it to Fuji for service. They told me that it's uneconomic to repair, so I'm forced into finding a 'newer' body. I bought a NOS X-T20 from the Head Bartender. Not the latest, but still a fine camera.

I'm now waiting for the X-Pro4 to drive close-out pricing of the X-Pro3.

FWIW, I shot Fuji X cameras through 2016 or so. Traded all the gear out for a Sony A7R2 and some Zeiss Loxias. Kicked that to the curb for Nikon film and digital. Worked through the Nikons and found I liked the F4's best... and liked them enough to focus more on more on film and 4X5 in particular. But 35mm's always been a good test bed and just better at certain things like travel and R&D. My Nikon D750 was used more and more for just DSLR scanning....

And so I've been sitting on the fence over whether to upgrade the D750. My 4X5 can use a DSLR behind it quite readily... and in fact makes mounts for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, etc. and so I toyed with GFX and that big, beautiful sensor as "the answer" to the question of whether full frame was worth sticking with. Pricing though was steep.

At that point, I went back and revisited the Fuji X line as a possible alternative to the Canonikon. Sony... I just found had a real sensor problem: 2 cameras in a row had to send the sensor off for a reglue... so I'll not go there again. But to make a long story shorter... I read about the X-H1 and that Fuji finally added IBIS... the reason I dumped it for Sony round one. With the X-H1 out of stock, I then wrestled with and bought an X-T4 instead. Used, it wasn't bad, and handles much like my Nikon F4's (without the locks) and is lighter and smaller. While there's a downside to light and small in terms of handholding, the IBIS helps iron that out. And I might pick up a new X-H2 when it comes out... but have my hands full for now. There was an X-H1 for sale used at my camera dealer. Anyway, rebought the F2 primes and a few zooms, and began shooting with this kit in the last 2 weeks.

Mostly, I think what LF 4X5 gives you is the confidence that if you need resolution, focus, and contro.... you've got it. All the claims for FULL FRAME this and that and even Medium Format... they can't do what a View Camera can do in camera. For me, this was important in freeing my mind to bite for an APS-C camera as just a handy tool for grabbing shots and shooting RAW+FINE with an emphasis on using FILM SIMULATIONS to avoid post processing. And I really like what Fuji's producing!

All my mental hang ups? Oh... I'm sure they're still there. But the camera's a tool. And printing APS-C 16X24 max, I don't feel I'm missing a thing I need. There's a lot here. And having played elsewhere for quite a while, I have a better appreciation for Fuji than I did before. I still love film, and am getting set to load film holders with 4X5 for the next month's work, but this is fun stuff. Plenty of folks I know use digital as a glorified light meter... and there's something in that for 4X5 shooting, but it has a lot going for it all by itself, too.

If you still have your Nikon lenses get a tilt/shift adapter for your Fuji and you then have those functions there too.

Shawn

Back