New York NYC Journal

Cal, some posts back you mentioned Dr. D’Adamo’s book and work - “Eat Right For Your Type” (ER4YT). I thought it was pretty cool you mentioned his work.

I’ve been following his guidelines for quite some time (since the 90’s) and found his suggestions for “highly beneficial” and “neutral” foods pretty well aligned for my blood type.

Fortunately for me, coffee and red wine are “highly beneficial” for my blood type. I’m curious where coffee is classified for you? - (for those not familiar, “avoid” is his third food classification).

Last edited:
Ray,

The Cold Agglutinin Disease could be looked as a slow growing Cancer. Cancer by definition is uncontrolled growth of cells, and for some unknown reason my body produces too much of this IgM antibody.

The source of the disease is usually through Hepatitis, which I never had. In my case the disease is “Idiopathic” meaning of no known cause. This is a very rare disease and the CDC says it effects about 1 in 100,000. People who need treatment basically need red blood transfusions to live because red blood cells get “Hemalized” meaning killed off and chronic anemias are a chronic problem.

I have had two Hematologists at Cancer hospitals say that I am a medical mystery. Somehow my body is able to make enough red blood cells to prevent anemia. My red blood cell counts show large cells, meaning new fresh cells, as red blood cells only live for about 90 days. Mine evidently and perhaps only live a fraction of those 90 days, but my cell count is right at the borderline.

My doctors say that my high IgM levels they would expect a very sick and ill patient, yet I am asymptomatic. The only thing I have to do is avoid prolong cold because my blood thickens and changes viscosity where it inhibits circulation. My face, ears, hands, and feet can turn blue.

Know that I had an edgy reckless life, and I too could have been killed or died many times. How did I become an old man?

BTW if my CAD progresses, treatment increases risks of getting a full blown Cancer, and most likely would be a quick progression to a Lymphoma.

Meanwhile I otherwise enjoy remarkable health.

Cal

Ray,

My B+ is only about 5% of the population. Dr D’Adamo’s work I think is very accurate, and the profile fits me well. Domestication of animals was the evolutionary trigger, and then add onto that my Cantonese ancestry where feudalism lasted almost 1000 years while the rest of China was unified.

I have that aggressive type “A” Alpha Male tendencies.

What blood type are you?

Cal

I like this safe place.
I take opportunity to let you know t he last important event in my life is that at age 73 I decided I needed to learn something new, so came the decision to learn to play guitar and I bought one! Not really, my wife gifted me one, a Martin for our 20th wedding Anniversary!
It will take time to learn to play it but as with photography the joy is in the journey !
That's fantastic. I started learning guitar a few months ago at age 56. And I have to say, it's been a lot of fun. But I'll need a few decades to get where I want to be! I guess that's the same way I think about my photography!

Hi everybody. I hope you don't mind me joining the conversation. I'm just returning to the rangefinder world after a few years away. And this looks like a fun thread...and who doesn't like a safe space?

I'm living in Manhattan, but I try to work part time from a place up in Ulster County. So in addition to combining biking and photography, I also want to combine hiking and photography. It's not a novel concept, but there's a lot of natural beauty in the 'Gunks and the lower Catskills. So if anybody wants to wander around the woods taking pictures, I'd be happy to meet up.

I attended a couple RFF meetups quite a few years back, at a pub in Soho. I honestly can't remember any of the people I met, but it was a good time. I think it was back when the Fuji X-Pro 2 had just come out, because I remember a few people comparing the X-Pro 1 vs 2.

Anyway, I'm happy to be back shooting rangefinders and enjoying slow photography. And look forward to getting to know a few of you.

David G

David,

Welcome back.

I’m a refugee from Madhattan myself. Because of the pandemic We bought a house in Peekskill, and I retired early at the age of 63.

I pretty much still am the skinny Asian with a pony tail and arrogant chin beard.

One thing I want to plan and propose is to visit Lake Mina-Wass-KAA and ride the carriage roads along the cliffs in the fall. Of course the Gunks are not far away.

I’m right across from Bear Mountain and there is an abandoned mine I would like to explore that is in a hillside and therefore not flooded.

Not into racing anymore on a bike, but lots of long slow distance would be great for my health.

Do you have a car?

There are a few other serious bikers in our group, and I support any ideas or suggestions.

Cal

This is a pretty open space, and I like it.

Pretty much a support group.

The weather is getting mild, so how about a Meet-Up in April. Since it is outdoors let’s just do the Beer Garden in Astoria.

Cal

Cal,

So sorry to hear what you are going through and hope your medical needs are being met.

Ray,

My B+ is only about 5% of the population. Dr D’Adamo’s work I think is very accurate, and the profile fits me well. Domestication of animals was the evolutionary trigger, and then add onto that my Cantonese ancestry where feudalism lasted almost 1000 years while the rest of China was unified.

I have that aggressive type “A” Alpha Male tendencies.

What blood type are you?

Cal

Cal, I am type A. My ancestry is European. I love red meat and deal with it well, but it’s on my avoid list. I love cheese also. I can eat it by the brick lol but need to take it easy with that also. For meat, only chicken, turkey, and poultry allowed and is neutral but there are some good choices with seafood.

Overall, I am healthy - albeit, a little overweight, and I need to watch what I eat as my metabolism is very slow.

I hope you stay in good health!

Everyone,

I have been living with my slow growing Cancer for more than a decade. In fact I am so stable that my last Hemotologist asked,” Why are we still monitoring your blood levels?” Pretty much I live with a medical abnormality.

Since it is idiopathic (for no known reason) there is a possibility I was born this way. My blood work always skirted on borderline anemia, and it wasn’t untill I had this woman PCP that thought I should see a Hematologist to investigate my abnormal blood That I have a disease.

As far as I remember I have had unusual bloodwork, nothing too crazy, but when they dug in they found I had unusually high IgM levels. Kinda funny how I remain asymptomatic. Fatigue, weakness, and anemia are associated with the disease.

I am far from being sick, and have a muscular build of a perhaps 15-16 year old because I have a boyish body. I also eat a lot and don’t seem to gain weight.

So I am in good health, even though I have a disease. 1 in 100,000 indicates a rare disease. Figure out of NYC’s 8 million people that only about 80 people have Cold Agluttinin Disease in NYC.

Back more than a decade and a half ago, we use to go shooting in the Bronx, and I remember how my face turned purple and blue from the cold. Later I found out why.

Perhaps the only symptom that is an issue is that my blood “Hemolizes” my red blood cells a bit more in the winter, and I might approach anemia.

Did you know that endurance athletes often have less red blood cells than normal. They can border anemia because they wear out red blood cells and cause them to die off from heavy usage. Point is that one can live with a lowered red blood cell count.

Cal

Ray,

”A” for agriculture as the evolutionary anthropological development that theoretically the development of the blood type.

Cal

David,

Welcome back.

I’m a refugee from Madhattan myself. Because of the pandemic We bought a house in Peekskill, and I retired early at the age of 63.

I pretty much still am the skinny Asian with a pony tail and arrogant chin beard.

One thing I want to plan and propose is to visit Lake Mina-Wass-KAA and ride the carriage roads along the cliffs in the fall. Of course the Gunks are not far away.

I’m right across from Bear Mountain and there is an abandoned mine I would like to explore that is in a hillside and therefore not flooded.

Not into racing anymore on a bike, but lots of long slow distance would be great for my health.

Do you have a car?

There are a few other serious bikers in our group, and I support any ideas or suggestions.

Cal
Thanks, Calzone. I have a place in Kerhonkson, just west of Minnewaska. That's one of my favorite parks, and I'd be up for riding the carriage roads. I've ridden most of them on my gravel bike...there are a few spots that depending on weather are just about at the limits of what I can handle on a drop bar bike. And Mohonk has some great carriage roads as well. And I'm with you on long, slow rides....that's the way I roll these days.

I do have a car, so happy to load up my bikes and meet up.

David

Cal,

No booze, no caffeine, what do you have to live for?

Is there anywhere up by you that a meetup could be held?

It's getting warmer...

Joe

Joe,

Obsessive behavior, hoarding, being silly, and of course annoying people.

There is a dive bar on the waterfront, as well as Peekskill Brewery. These are near the train station. The Peekskill Brewery has outdoor tables and also an indoor portion. The dive bar has a Puck Fair flavor and is a short walk away.

We could do it in the later part of April, but the last weekend we already have plans. Pick a Sunday.

I have spring fever big time.

Cal

Day 3 of no caffeine. Experienced not feeling fully awake as a side effect. Caught up with some sleep, and I have been sleeping better. As things progress I feel fresher.

Today I don’t feel sluggish.

Cal

I'm not sure I'd survive going caffeine free. My vintage espresso machine has developed a leak and I'm having to drink regular old coffee, and it's killing me. It's so acidic compared to a great espresso. But I'm sure you'll find there are lasting benefits to weaning yourself from the evil bean!

David,

I kinda developed a bit of narcolepsy, and I think it came about I think because of caffeine. Pretty much I can sleep at any time.

I also think I am chronically sleep deprived.

No caffeine right now is an experiment, but I do feel more and more rested.

Cal

I'll be interested to hear how the experiment works, Cal. How long do you plan to stay off caffeine as part of the experiment? I'm 56 now, and my sleep patterns are not very good. I fall asleep instantly, but I have trouble staying asleep. As a result I feel quite sleep deprived much of the time. I wonder if I should try a month without caffeine.

David,

I will keep you abreast.

I have a history of micro napping.

Also at meetings I fall dead asleep consistently.

At one meeting my friend asked my boss if he should wake me up, and my boss said to let me sleep. LOL.

In my past I had chronic fatigue, so basically I was running on adrenaline for a while which was not sustainable. Then came a long recovery…

At one point I was a workaholic, then I became a lazy slacker and a bike bum who lived to bike ride (bicycle).

I wonder if I can live without caffeine. I feel drowsy and peacefully nap a few times, but I awake more refreshed each time. It feels so great to wake up.

I can say it is taking some time for my body to adjust. Just had a nap, but it felt like 8 hours sleep.

Cal

Some say that I drink coffee to keep the people around me safe; from me. The longest I’ve gone without coffee or tea, sine high school, was my first 3 weeks of boot camp in fall of 1997. During and after week 4, we all worked in the kitchen, and had access to coffee from there till pass and review.
This week has been personally more difficult than usual, as it was the 20th anniversary of our most recent field trip to Iraq. Lots of reminiscence, lots of anger at the lack of accountability. As a result, I worked more, worked on bikes more, and did some writing. All that said, I’ve been more withdrawn from others as I’m just a bristly combat vet who wants to see some senior heads roll. That will never happen though as there is no accountability for those folks.
Phil Forrest

Back