NYRB: Moriyama

Fpjohn, thanks very much for this post - and for the link to a terrific article about Daidō Moriyama and his contemporaries, as well as information on how William Klein influenced him.

i have a book of his in my amazon wishlist, very excited to get it. this is a great piece on another book i'll probably end up acquiring. thanks!

T Hopper's video on:

Daido Moriyama: the photographer who didn't look through the viewfinder​

I love Daido Moriyama's work. The grainy, high contrast B&W look reminds me of Japanese brush calligraphy. I wish I could produce that style organically, but as it is, when I aim for a similar look it feels over-produced to me. I also envy his loose shooting style: his arrangements and choices of subject are so fascinating.

1) The thing is when you learn how to shoot like someone it's always missing the main ingredient, that is that person. After all, while we are all more alike then not alike, we are all still slightly different so when do art, it's always gonna be different. My take away is learn how to do it, but then change it, so it fits you.
2) Oddly enough imitation Photography did a video on how to shoot like him.

1) The thing is when you learn how to shoot like someone it's always missing the main ingredient, that is that person. After all, while we are all more alike then not alike, we are all still slightly different so when do art, it's always gonna be different. My take away is learn how to do it, but then change it, so it fits you.
2) Oddly enough imitation Photography did a video on how to shoot like him.

Very true. I've shot with the are bure boke style, not so much out of imitation of Daido Moriyama (maybe homage), and the profile in my Ricoh GRIIIx makes it easy to do so, but (at least digitally) it's hard to look at the results, even when they look good, and not feel they are overwrought. If I were shooting pushed B&W film in bad light I think I'd be more satisfied with the results since they are authentic to the materials being used. More like the below (which was HP5 pushed to 1600).

Untitled (20) by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

Back