OK, I *think* I have a Contax III here...

Muggins

Junk magnet
Local time
10:58 AM
Popped into my local junk shop today as I spotted a camera from the door... Next to a Nikon SLR I couldn't ID without reading specs was a brown leather Zeiss-Ikon case, so I opened it up... and swore! The chap in the shop said he knew nothing about cameras, he was going to put £50 on it, so I thought *Sod it* and paid.

So... looking at the intertubes I *think* I have a Contax III. Body number is B59218, the lens is a collapsible Carl-Zeiss Jena f2 Sonnar Nr.1827262 - a little oil on the aperture blades, and maybe some haze, but I don't think any fungus (famous last words). It's also obviously got a bit damp at some point as the brassing on the back is knee-deep in verdigris, but I've seen worse.

The shutter doesn't work - which is a drag, but maybe one day I'll have time/money to sort it?

Quality of pictures and lack of hardcore research down to me doing this (and buying it!) when taking a break from strenous DIY!

Attachments

• IMG_7837.jpg
    IMG_7837.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7838.jpg
    IMG_7838.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7836.jpg
    IMG_7836.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7835.jpg
    IMG_7835.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 28
Yes, a Contax III. The lens alone is worth what you paid if it is in decent condition. B serial number means camera was likely produced in 1936, ahead of the introduction of the Contax II and III at Photokina show in March 1936. The lens is part of a batch of 2000 completed in February 1936. According to "On the Trail of the Contax, Volume 1

Blimey - and in a junk shop, too. Rats - too late for a lottery ticket this evening! Thank you - that's made my day.

The verdigris is more likely the result of the camera being stored in the case for so long that as the leather soaked up moisture the tannins ate away at the chrome. Pretty common to find on any old camera that hasn't been used for many years. Dried lubricants may be the reason the shutter doesn't work, unless the ribbons disintegrated on it being the reason it has not been used for so long. Nice find on the lens.

PF

Nice. I can't even get a broken Contax II/III body for under €80 from Germany.
Finding a repair person is going to be tricky though.

Nice. I can't even get a broken Contax II/III body for under €80 from Germany.
Finding a repair person is going to be tricky though.

I'll just glug in some naptha, it'll be fine!

(just kidding, BTW!) I get the impression that the pre-war Contaxes are a different beast to work on than post, is that so?

Yeah, pre-war are easier to work on. IIa and IIIa bodies are super vomplex, precise machines.

There is an excellent repair person in the UK called (apols for spelling) Ed Trotska. Can't find his details at the moment but he will sort it for you for a sensible price. Hopefully someone else will have his details.

There is an excellent repair person in the UK called (apols for spelling) Ed Trotska. Can't find his details at the moment but he will sort it for you for a sensible price. Hopefully someone else will have his details.

Argh - I've seen his name too, and I'm blowed if I can remember. I'll keep an eye out... Thaks for the heads up!

Thank you, Pan! I'd never have thought of that putting that z where it is when googling him... Typical monoglot brit! I'll email him in just a mo. I think this may be a save-the pennies job, but if he thinks it's salveable...

I wonder if it is a bring back from WW2? Would the Contax III have any military or government markings?

There are known examples of Contax II and III cameras and lenses with WW2 era German military engravings. There are photos of a couple of camera bodies with such engravings in "On the Trail of the Contax, Volume 1" by Hans Jurgen Kuc. I am reluctant to scan and post these photos because of copyright restrictions. From what I have read in books and seen online, military engraved cameras and lenses are rare.

Random thought - Kodak, via the Nagel-Werke, made cameras for the UK and US markets with focus scales in feet. Did Zeiss-Ikon do the same? This one appears to be in metres.

I have a reply from Ed Trzoska - I'll have to save my pennies, but I could spend a lot more buying something newer, and given that he describes it as "one of the finest cameras ever made" he obviously likes them a lot!

Back