Old Gas Stations and Related Items

A gas station and a corner store from New Brunswick. this is a part of a series on Atlantic Canadian corner stores shot with a holga: Corner store — Bojan Fürst
005-CS-NB.jpg

This one has the pump island way out front to make room to access the service bays. It's now been converted into office spaces. The street has been widened too, forcing the sidewalk up against the former pump island.

Hiding The Past In Plain Sight by P F McFarland, on Flickr

This is as close as I wanted to get to this old station as there were a couple of large and loud dogs patrolling the property.

Kerrs Creek Garage by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Found this one in the little village of Blue Ridge, IN. It has been converted into rental domicile quarters but looked like it had not been inhabited in quite a while.

Old Gas Station by P F McFarland, on Flickr

PF

How many remember ESSO before EXXON. Their slogan was put a tiger in your tank. Think that was ESSO.

When I was a kid, many many years ago, there were gas wars where stations near each other would cut prices and cut prices to lure customers away from the other stations. When I got my first car in the 60’s gas was regularly 25.9 cents / gallon and often 17.9/gal. I remember my dad buying gas for 14.9/gal.

Gas stations often gave premiums like a dish towel or dishes if you fill up. Fill up and get a plate, saucer, bowl or whatever the piece of the week was.

Many old stations were service stations that did oil changes, tuneups and repairs.
I remember that slogan, popular in Italy too when I was young! Metti una tigre nel motore!

No words.

Attachments

• 16D0E7C2-0A5F-47E4-9399-64BDBBBBC6D4.jpeg
    16D0E7C2-0A5F-47E4-9399-64BDBBBBC6D4.jpeg
    384.4 KB · Views: 12
  • EE1358A0-C89C-4B73-AD12-FF8082A3F4AC.jpeg
    EE1358A0-C89C-4B73-AD12-FF8082A3F4AC.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 12

Baker's Auto Service by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Need A Ride? by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Interesting story with this one. The original building was so deteriorated when the current owner bought it he tore it down and rebuilt the place in the same style, adding the large woodworking shop to the left. He said if he quits the antique business he'll turn it into his living quarters.

Ashwood Station. by P F McFarland, on Flickr

PF

Back