Olympus Pen F shot audio slideshows...

Thank you :) I kind of like that these almost entirely depend on the story people are willing to tell you and it's usually something they feel very attached to, which, I think makes it so interesting to listen to even if we don't quite understand everything. I think we are responding to the their enthusiasm and emotions more than to the content itself.

B.

Are you with NFB? They must have it in the best of the best hall of fame.
This is something every New Canadian must see. I'm finally at the job with company which recognize Remembrance Day. This year I went for first time. Your video fills some gaps and resonate with me.

Thank you Ko.Fe. I have approached NFB a couple of times, but so far nobody seems to be interested. It's really a labour of love for me and Michelle at this point. I am glad you enjoyed these.

Bojan

It is very old tradition, at least in eastern Europe. Jewish also have similar one.
Nice to see old traditions readopted.

Hey folks,

Here is something I wrote about this particular form I am using for these audio-slideshows. It may be of interest to some of you: https://medium.com/photocurious/talking-pictures-d9bce51012ee

Bojan

Yes, it is interesting. And your "slideshow" is well made (being not native english a little difficult to understan but this is my fault!) with good pictures and well recorded audio. I'll follow your work on vimeo.

Nice to see such traditions are alive.

In my conspiracy theory it is nothing but old fashion photo-album with your older relative as narrative. :)

Kostya, you are so right! Funnily enough, quite some time ago now, I had a great conversation with a friend, a professor of English here. And he said something similar. He said that every family photo album is actually an oral history because it only makes sense and comes alive when you hear the stories... Maybe this project is a little bit like a family photo album for the province. I like that...

Bojan

For those of you still following, here is a new episode: https://vimeo.com/391370317

It features two older women - one of them is an adult learner in her 70s and the other one is her tutor. I can't imagine the courage it takes to starting learning how to read that late in life...

b.

Beautiful work! These are great intimate personal stories, and the photos are wonderful! It's really a neat idea.

You capture a really natural quality on the voices, almost like a one on one conversation with the subject. On a technical level, there is only an occasional spot where a subject's voice level dips down a little too low to where I feel I need to reach for the volume knob.

My one other comment has to do with the sound effects you capture. They are very well recorded and serve the story well, however, they sound like they were recorded very close up with a stereo microphone. In some ways I find this a little distracting to my ear as the sound effects render a bit 'wide' and my ear gets pulled to the right or left audio channel away from center where the subject is speaking. I listened to a few of your pieces in mono and I prefer the compressed stereo field. I think the balance between the voice and sound effects is about correct though.

Really nice work. This is a great project you have. Congratulations!

Thanks Reid. That is a great feedback. Let me see if I remix the sound in mono how it sounds. I am really glad you like the stories.

Bojan

Great story! Much bigger than episode.

For some reason I'm more keen with BW for documentaries. In Soviet time documentaries were in BW. I guess, they were not allowed to get color.
In Moscow we had Russia movie theater. Major hall for for regular movies. And then much smaller one. This is where I have seen first documentary movie for first time.
Don't know why, but I'm more into documentaries, not into this lady with M3 from Wyoming stuff everybody is raving about..

Pen F still fascinates me and BW here is even more. Do you have your own post processing?

It's been a while! COVID-19 has put everything in hold. But we did manage to record and produce one more episode. Here is a link to the latest...

https://vimeo.com/showcase/4981968/video/485539786

To answer Ko.Fe's questions. I do have a preset I made in Lightroom specifically for this project. Once it's done, I am so looking forward to getting rid of Lightroom forever. Pen F makes really great BW JPGs straight out of the camera, though.

Stay well

Bojan

I just watched it on the day before lock-down in Ontario. Best documentary of 2021 I have seen so far!

I'm very curios to see LR free BW results.

Glad you liked it! and here is a straight out of camera B&W for an upcoming episode. Nothing done to the file at all.
50830540593_f08accc3bb_b.jpg

B.

Nice work mate. I use a pair of Pen F’s for B+W work it is the only camera I have used, to date, where straight out of the camera looks fantastic.

Looking forward to more.

Back