Olympus transfered the photographic business to JIP

Yes, very sad day. I suspect they will start producing random things like batteries, paracetamol, thermometers, flip-flops or anything that is deemed to be profitable and dump the photographic department (might be my irrational fear)..

Yes, very sad day. I suspect they will start producing random things like batteries, paracetamol, thermometers, flip-flops or anything that is deemed to be profitable and dump the photographic department (might be my irrational fear)..

I'm very fond of my Vivitar toaster, and my Kodak USB can works very well, than you.

Is this a hive off of the camera business only or all imaging including the medical side? Pentax went through a similar fate years ago with Hoya who stripped the medical business out. Fortunately, Ricoh stepped in. If Olympus does survive, I expect more expensive, niche camera products, maybe APS-C/Full frame.

Grumpy old man here, but, after the OM died, so did Olympus as a camera company.

Meh, if the Great Yellow Father can die, then so can any other photography related business.
The future is Apple. (I say as I gag and choke)
I still have several working examples of Maitani’s genius, from an original Sanko Sohji Pen continuing through a Pen F and ending with a OM-1.

Ricoh at least has a photographic heritage, but who is JIP?
And several great names are now leased (or sold) for whatever value the recipient feels they have in marketing their product.
Not to disparage any brand but CV comes to mind, but they are quality products none the less.

Edit: Funny, but I finally bought a Oly M4:3, a used EM10, just last fall. But mostly cause at $210 it was too cheap to resist and could take all my film Pen Zuikos and OM Zuikos

Why so pessimistic? Pentax continues as a brand of Ricoh. Who knows.
And let's not forget Minolta - aka Sony. Minolta's name may have disappeared but the company's DNA and knowhow live on, without which Sony (Minolta) cameras wouldn't be the success they are.

Nail in the coffin of micro 4/3?

I'd imagine Panasonic will continue to release the odd parts bin camera (like the G100) in the short term. I can't see new sensors, lenses or tech now with Panasonic pushing full frame also.

I always have thought of Olympus as a camera company that still made microscopes, sort of a Japanese version of Leitz. With the rise of Sony in the digital imaging world and fewer consumers buying dedicated camera systems, I must say this is not a surprise development.

Weakest chain link always fail. After Pen F they didn't made anything innovative. By now too small sensors are obsolete without strong support of the video.
Panasonic ventured to FF and one of the leaders in video industry. Olympus was just sitting in squeezing still cameras market. They should have making lenses for another mounts to stay afloat.

It is a big company and you will still see Olympus name as a microscope producer or in other fields. I suppose they just cut the camera department. They also produce portable XRF and lab equipments like XRD machines used in mining, life sciences and inspection businesses.

https://www.olympus-ims.com/en/microscope/

Back