One camera, one lens (not the usual thread)

Yep,

Most people would feel insecure leaving a room, let alone going outside, for even five minutes without the their phone.

Good point.
Which phone should I get for a backup? What if my phone stops working! Ahhhhhhhh. I need a backup now, no time to wait for suggestions.

Thread must go on...

One day they sent me as not even secondary, but third person for overnight job in Washington. You know, Pentagon and such. I have seen it on taxi ride.
We spend more than twelve hours non-stop, no food, no seats behind the racks at some tv station. And went back to Ontario.

40667103133_17cea7d18a_o.jpg

I like small planes and short flights.

47633500791_9eabe23508_o.jpg

We spend well above 200USD for two hotel rooms to be in the beds for ... 40 minutes or less...

40667103003_eb75e6e674_o.jpg

I took a few while running back from hotel after check out.

33756188418_fe00f2dff5_o.jpg

33756188348_5873af372f_o.jpg

Most of the pictures were taken in two airports and onboard.

33756188278_df49a10089_o.jpg

47580696502_ceecd80ed8_o.jpg

40667103243_4ea0faa593_o.jpg

All were taken with M4-2, Summarit 35 2.5. No meter was used.

47633500861_5313904d35_o.jpg

I came back with unfinished roll...

Thank you, JA.

And special thanks to Roger...
I hope I'll be able to keep this thread alive for sometime...

Next week I'll work as junior on one tv site near Dallas Airport. I think, I'll take M-E and one lens. But I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to get somewhere after work...

Near Dallas Airport. With M4-2 and Summarit 35.

47785506032_7c7f4080c4_o.jpg

While onroute Toronto-Dallas, I was recognized by another RFF member. This is what might happen if you wear same camera everywhere :)

46921284715_91247009fb_o.jpg

I was hoping to see Dallas but with this kind of job...

40870931943_bb9f06a45a_o.jpg

Broadcast industry is almost became IT subsidiary.

32893678537_0e4bde9be3_o.jpg

It means, you know then it starts, but you never know then it will be finished...

40870931883_3df23d7a0a_o.jpg

Weather was just like in Ontario. Rains and heavy.

Love the stuff from my home town (Chicago). When were you here. Also could have gone to Central Camera on South Wabash for film.

Thank you! I was in June. I made to the Central Camera only on last day.

I asked at Tamarkin about your book, but it was sold out.

I didn't know that this thread was over ten years old! In honour of our departed Roger, I'll add my comments.

Like just about everyone, I began with just one camera, and the lens that came with it. In my case, digital began with the Canon S45, and I carried it everywhere. It was good for its time, but tech has moved a long way since those 4mp days. As time went by, I bought more and more cameras, eventually going into DSLR's, rangefinders and mirrorless. Now, I'm never without at least two cameras, the type depending on anticipated shooting conditions.

Canon S45

S45 - Trainstation Fullsize by Archiver, on Flickr

The issue for me is finding a balance between versatility and size. The Canon 5D Mark II with 24-105L does just about everything you want, but I'm done with carrying gear like that every day. A Leica M or similar sized mirrorless camera is far better, but even that can become a bit large after a while. Now, I carry a Sony RX0 which goes in my pocket, and the secondary camera is either a m43 camera like the Panasonic GX85 with a couple of small primes, or the wonderful Contax T3.

Sony RX0

RX0 - The Light of the Times by Archiver, on Flickr

Contax T3

T3 - Taking Flight [explore #177, 2007 02 07] by Archiver, on Flickr

Do I worry about gear failing? I can count on the fingers of one hand when gear has stopped working - unfortunately, three of those fingers are taken by Ricoh - so I'm not overly worried about it. If I'm shooting for work, I'll have a backup body anyway. Personal work is usually a couple of pocket cams, or I'll go with the M9 when I want the best quality.

Leica M9 with Summicron 50

M9 + M50/2 - Waiting by Archiver, on Flickr

As for lenses, I'll carry a 24 or 28 and 50 when I can, or a fast 35 when I can't.

@Ko Fe - you've inspired me to shoot with the M9 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 LTM for a while!

Great thread, thanks. #MyPlan

Great thread, thanks. #MyPlan

What an excellent, educational thread. I'm planning for a trip and still pulling out my non-existent hair on what to take, so it was most helpful....

The setup I'm planning now is:

1) Leica M5 + 50mm
2) Bessa L + 15mm v1
3) Leica M240 for use at night
4) Ricoh GRD I as pocket backup
5) 20 rolls of Ektachrome E100 + 15 rolls of Ilford FP4 + 10 rolls of Fujifilm 400

I'm going solely for the purpose of photography so I can sacrifice space for the sake of the cameras.

The Lenses are cycleable between the cameras, so that gives me options on a day-to-day basis.

As someone suggested in this thread, I'll simply take the camera(s) I need at a given time and leave the rest in the room.

Years ago, on holiday in Amsterdam, my Panasonic LX3 was my only camera. I walked across a park, stepped in a hole, and fell directly on it. My wee camera was instantly kaput - Nothing worked!:eek:

I was torn between just saying the hell with it, and spending a big portion of my remaining vacation money, but I finally went to a nearby discount store and searched out the cheapest, smallest camera available - a pink Olympus point and shoot. It was bubble wrapped, but I assumed it would work. In any case, trial shots were impossible.

I soon discovered the colours it produced were consistently desaturated, all the photos were slightly out of focus, and in low contrast, no matter the lighting. :(

When I got home to Canada, I replaced it with the Panasonic LX7 I still carry in my pocket. Then, after I had left the toasted Panny LX3 in an Ikea box for a few months, I had an impulse to try to turn it on, and it was fine again. No drama, it simply was resurrected!

Much later, when I was roaming around conflict sites in Nicaragua, I had a Nikon F, and my backup was a mechanical Nikkormat. But I never had to use it.

These days, I carry a Fuji XT-2, with a couple of physically large zooms, and a Sony RIIr as a backup. No problems, except the weight of the zooms. :D

oh boy. I just started a thread re:travel and packing. GA for 10 days, considering either a full MF kit or M5 + M262.

My 'specifically for photography' trips have been almost exclusively local, in a car, where I can take all the gear I like. Solo travel is one reason I switched from 35 SLRs to RFs, so maybe that's my answer.

I like having backups. Almost every 'big' trip I've made something has gone wrong. Back latch failing on a Nikkormat in Japan. Twice had the shutter in my M8 fail within 24 hours of landing. RF going out of whack on a breathtaking hike. On my last trip in Houston, the spool in a roll of film cracked and I couldn't rewind it.

But other than on a purely social or activity-oriented trip (ie, for the holidays, hiking, etc), I want to be out photographing, and don't want a P&S or my phone as a backup. I've got enough cameras that I'll just grab two and throw them in the bag. Some, but not too much, redundancy.

Then there's the other issue of film, and how much to bring. And the fact that I've lost rolls simply by stashing them somewhere less than secure in my bag or pocket. So I bring a digital camera, and then I don't fully trust cards not corrupting or dusty sensors or anything else.
But I guess you can't really trust anything fully, like Steve said regarding spontaneous shutter failure. I do make money from photography, but not the sort of jet setting off to glamorous sites, so I shouldn't worry about it too much.

Anyway, I do agree with Roger's original premise. One camera + one lens is a nice appeal but it's left me high and dry enough times.

Oh well, everything old is eventually new again.
Can think of one time I travelled with only one camera, a Minolta 16 II no less. But we go to the island a couple of times a year and I had just spooled up 12 rolls of 16mm Double-X, every Minolta cartridge I had. Wound up only shooting 3 or 4 rolls the whole trip, about 10 days total. The 16 II is just about bulletproof and the whole kit including a 4X Tamron aux telephoto and all the film fit in a small Tamrac bag

The perils One Camera, one lens.

The perils One Camera, one lens.

I went to Glastonbury and as I was concerned about leaving valuables in the tent I only took one camera and one lens: a Minolta XD7 and an 85 mm F2. It was a good choice and most of the prictures were fine but about I discovered that about 10% of the photos were spoiled by a shutter tapering problem at the highest two speeds. Next time I will check the camera properly before I go if I haven't used it for a while!

Sadly I ruined this excellent lens later when trying to take a grab shot with one hand while carrying a bag of shopping. My finger was pressing up against the stopdown lever on a Minolta SRT101 and this pranged the iris as I shot the photo by tearing one of the aperture blades. I have not been that lucky with Minoltas, maybe I should stick to my usual Canons ;-(

My usual street and travel kit. Though I have been shooting lately with my 24 2.8 Elmarit instead of my 35 Lux FLE. Though for travel it is still the MM and 35 Lux FLE.

170319753.jpg

When working professionally it is always at least 2 bodies, usually 3. This is usually it.
169482290.jpg

Depending on what i am shooting I could have two very large light equipment carriers with 4 lights 2 white lightning 1200s and two Travelite 750s stands and modifiers.

or maybe a couple of portable strobes. But for travel and street I keep it very simple.

Has anyone had a problem with taking just one camera that then breaks/is lost or stolen/otherwise fails to deliver the goods?

Yes, and it's a real pain in the a $$… in fact it happened twice so now I always carry a back-up body that get's left in the hotel room when out shooting. I don't see the need to have a back-up at hand 24x7... just accessible if needed.

First time was a dSLR that failed but after a few hours I got it going again by reloading the firmware.

Second time was a SLR where the rewind lever 'broke' in extreme cold during a 2 day side trip with my back-up body in my long term accommodation... said rewind mechanism was repaired using a pocket knife after removing and wrapping the film in tinfoil. Fortunately the fix held for the two days.

Back