Original M Monochrom Still a Good Buy?

Dynamic range is the ratio from "brightest to darkest", saturation to threshold. The number of bits controls the number of intensity levels that brightest to darkest get divided into. Leica should have used 14-bits, even more for cameras with wide dynamic range. So- you get contouring, coarse recording of the intensity over a wide dynamic range.

Leica has a problem understanding digital imaging. The lossy-compression of the M8, and also implemented in the M9- is horrible, caused the color banding at high-ISO. Using 12-bits for the M246 limits post-processing the image, which is often required for digital monochrome, also shows lack of understanding.

And Leica Firmware that runs in the cameras: note that Leica does not have a "Software Bug Report" form for reporting the many problems.

I'm sticking with my M9 and M Monochrom, I know how to get the most out of them. I've worked with CCD's since they were new. I see many more M246 cameras on the used market than M Monochrom cameras with replaced sensors. It's a 10 year old camera. At the price they are going for: "Not a good buy" in most practical definitions. If you needed to buy a monochrome KAF-18500 for a piece of scientific equipment, a used M Monochrom is cheap. If you just prefer the rendering of a CCD: it is the last of the breed.

Reactions: DwF
That website shows that the later model has better dynamic range, but does that really contradict what Sonnar Brian had to say?

On the one hand, the M 246 does have a larger dynamic range, by a clear margin. The fact that it's recorded in 12 bits rather than 14 doesn't change that. FWIW, I've processed many M 246 files, usually with large to extreme curve adjustments because I tend to dislike the way raw converters render Leica Monochrom files at default settings. In doing that, I've never run into posterization. YMMV.

On the other hand, for scenes that don't require that extra stop and a half to render in a way that suits, the original MM can make excellent pictures too.

On the third hand, as has already been said, the M 246 is newer, is more refined mechanically and electronically, is more readily available now, and seems likely to have service available for some time to come.

Whichever way you go, good luck and enjoy! :)

I'd like to return this thread to its original topic: Is the M9 Monochrom still a good buy? Or: Is it worth considering the original Monochrom just for its imaging character alone? I see that some photographers feel that its CCD sensor produces a result they prefer to the CMOS sensor of the later versions, such as the M246 or M10. I've read that the original Monochrom has better shadow detail and better highlight protection, and from examples posted around the web, it does look that way to me. And for me, at least, 18MP is plenty!

Let's take it for granted that the discussion will be limited to M9 Monochrom that have the sensor replaced with the non-corroding one, so the discussion doesn't get sidetracked with sensor corrosion warnings.

So with all that in mind, let's see some opinions!

IMO, M9M is closest alternative to BW film.
But..t..
Here is no sensors, controller boards and who knows what else Leica doesn't have anymore.
So, not an opinion, but fact. Buying of M9M now is buying of one of the most expensive obsoletes.
If something goes wrong, Leica Camera AG will have graceful mercy on you. They will offer 10K USD camera for 9K USD.

For my muddy BW film style, I was able to find much less expensive alternative. GRD series.

One is GRD III inkjet print another is DR traditional print.

M9M is more if you are after MF/LF film alternative, IMO.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you like, and the practicality for you owning an older digital M body. I can't argue that the 246 is more modern and a great camera.

For me it's all to do with the feeling I get processing the files with my MM that I never felt any desire to upgrade. Also my own personal history with this camera, Ive sold many cameras since owning this one camera that has stayed with me.

From this past weekend-

51321359192_fb092daf50_h.jpg

Seeing Helen's beautiful shot above w graffiti I can't resist posting this relatively early one I made with the MM.

164412250.w0YA0mkL.GrafittiandTracks.jpg

I love the rendering in combination with 50mm C-Sonnar
164500498.VS34Kviz.AttheTable.jpg

David

Those look good Brian. I loved Panatomic-X and to my eye, these from MM recall some of that look. I tend to try not to blow my highlights and prbably could push more than I do with MM files.

166851036.lgdzsSKe.Jacobscratchinhishead.jpg

166818277.xmhCMJFf.Still.jpg

Even with the caveats about the lack of spare parts, I'm still feeling tempted--at least some of the time (the rest of the time I'm not convinced I need or want a monochrom of any version. What do I have a darkroom for). The 14 bit depth of the M9M makes it attractive to me, because I can actually see the remarkable shadow detail in examples published here in RFF. And 18MP seems enough for my needs. If one comes my way, I may take the risk.

Even with the caveats about the lack of spare parts, I'm still feeling tempted--at least some of the time (the rest of the time I'm not convinced I need or want a monochrom of any version. What do I have a darkroom for). The 14 bit depth of the M9M makes it attractive to me, because I can actually see the remarkable shadow detail in examples published here in RFF. And 18MP seems enough for my needs. If one comes my way, I may take the risk.

if that's what You desire... ;)
Leica Soho Store has an M9M for $3250.00
https://leicastoresoho.com/pre-owned-leica-m9-monochrom-4348087/

Back