Panasonic G9

Eric T

Well-known
Local time
8:11 AM
Share your thoughts on images from the Panasonic G9.
I just bought one of these last week and the stills seem better than the GH5 (as expected). I can really notice the improved image stabilization. The camera is rugged with a quiet shutter (even in mechanical mode). The high resolution mode is great in the right situations.
I was just surprised by the step up from the GH5 which was better than I expected. The viewfinder is great.

Would enjoy reading more thoughts and experiences from the RFF crowd about the G9. I'm very strongly considering one as an upgrade from the Olympus E-M5 as a m43 camera primarily for stills and some high quality video work. I use a GH4 for paid video work, but the G9 appeals to me as lot as a stills camera.

Would enjoy reading more thoughts and experiences from the RFF crowd about the G9. I'm very strongly considering one as an upgrade from the Olympus E-M5 as a m43 camera primarily for stills and some high quality video work. I use a GH4 for paid video work, but the G9 appeals to me as lot as a stills camera.

I have limited exposure to the G9. I played with one at a trade show. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't trade my EM1 mk2 for it. I found the interface to be very "Canon" like. If you know your way around an EOS camera, the G9 will feel comfortable.

Is it worth moving up from the original EM-5? If you have the money, absolutely. Much better EVF, hugely better AF performance and face tracking, and of course the better sensor (I'm less concerned with the additional resolution than how the noise looks at high ISO, and the new 20MP m43 sensors have a much more pleasant noise).

I still have my EM5 mk1 and EM1 mk1. After a weekend of music festival photography, I'm seriously considering ditching both my mk1s to fund a second 20MP body. I'll probably look for a used EM1mk2, just to keep everything consistent and share batteries etc. But for the right price I could see a G9 in that spot.

I still have my EM5 mk1 and EM1 mk1. After a weekend of music festival photography, I'm seriously considering ditching both my mk1s to fund a second 20MP body. I'll probably look for a used EM1mk2, just to keep everything consistent and share batteries etc. But for the right price I could see a G9 in that spot.

I ended up ordering a used GX8. The prices on them used is just crazy (good). I'll keep my EM1 mk1 while I sort out whether or not the GX8's AF and sensor are sufficiently better to justify the hassle of two different user interfaces.

Really how is the EVF on the G9? In sunny Florida EVF's have a tendency to go "blind" from so much light. Any improvement in that regard?

I am a little surprised the G9 hasn’t attracted more attention. Perhaps lame duck marketing by Panasonic?

I went looking for a new system recently and settled on Panasonic for the work gear. The G9, with the recent firmware update, is a ridiculous bargain right now. The viewfinder alone makes it an easy decision.

An old thread I know ;)

The G9 is my current "do it all" camera (which means I don't use it that often). Maybe it's just me but I find the interface more Nikon-like than Canon...it's just a very well thought-out, highly customizable and responsive modern camera. You can feel the amount of computing power flowing beneath the magnesium shell. Not sure if it could replace any other modern offerings though, since all are competent. My main use for the camera is the 80MP composition mode, which combined with the 4:3 form factor makes it nice to scan MF negatives.

Main gripe is the shutter button being way too sensitive. Half press strength for other cameras means full deeeeeep press here. Always takes time for me to adjust back after using other cameras for a while.

The G9 is my current "do it all" camera (which means I don't use it that often). Maybe it's just me but I find the interface more Nikon-like than Canon...it's just a very well thought-out, highly customizable and responsive modern camera. Not sure if it could replace any other modern offerings. My main use for it is the 80MP composition mode, which combined with the 4:3 form factor makes it nice to scan MF negatives.

Main gripe is the shutter button being way too sensitive. Half press strength for other cameras means full deeeeeep press here. Always takes time for me to adjust back after using other cameras for a while.

Have you tried back button AF? This eliminates having to half press the shutter.

Have you tried back button AF? This eliminates having to half press the shutter.

I use back button AF but also like to use the shutter button to lock exposure.

It's a moderate hassle that's not impossible to get used to. If the G9 is my only camera that I use everyday, I'd certainly be fine.

The G9 is back on the radar as prices are really good right now. I'm not concerned about near-future m43 cameras as there have been no significant rumours of sensor upgrades in the last year or so. The 20mp sensor is where it's at, and will probably remain that way for at least another couple of year. Having four Panasonic cameras, I'm very used to the menus and controls, so the G9 would be a great upgrade for stills, as @defconfunk mentioned upthread.

Well, I've finally got myself a G9. A local store had a good deal on a secondhand body, and it delightfully came with a second battery, too. Everything is familiar as I've been shooting with the GH4 for almost five years, and the grip is very comfortable. The change in mode dial placement will take a bit of getting used to, as I'm used to being able to switch that with my shooting hand, but we'll see how it goes.
I'm looking forward to shooting action stills with it, and also work video. The firmware has already been upgraded and I've put in all my custom mode settings. Autofocus in 4K is way faster and more accurate than the GH4, which is a great step up. This will be a lot of fun.

I use back button AF but also like to use the shutter button to lock exposure.

It's a moderate hassle that's not impossible to get used to. If the G9 is my only camera that I use everyday, I'd certainly be fine.

Back button AF is not a bad idea. The G9 shutter is really sensitive and has very little 'notch' for half press, and no sense of actuating a shutter. Will definitely experiment with this.

Funny, it's been two years since I first commented in this thread, and I've finally got one. This has been my pattern for the last few years, getting a camera which is a couple of years old, and perhaps going on discontinuation sale, with the exception of the Sony RX0.

I've only had the G9 for a day, but I'm warming to it really quickly. The grip feels fantastic in the hand, all the controls are easily accessible, video quality is better than the GH4 I use for work, and the stills have more dynamic range and recoverable shadows and highlights than the GH4.

The dual card slots will come in very handy for long shoots, and since 64GB cards are pretty cheap now, I'll get a few more soon. Since it uses the same batteries as the GH4, GH5 and GH5S, it's great to know that I'm saving more money as I upgrade or move laterally to the GH5S in another year or so.

Like the E-M5, this will make a great travel camera. The possibilities for 20mp stills, rapid burst mode and 4K 50P video are huge. When I travel with the E-M5, the IBIS makes it extra useful, and the G9 brings that to the table.

Annoyingly, I can't get out to really test this camera, and the weather hasn't been the best here, either. So I've been putting every lens I can on this camera to find out how they feel.

The small Olympus primes are great. The 12mm and 17mm are made of metal and sit nicely. The plastic primes like the 25mm and 45mm are lighter but the same size, and still feel great. The 60mm macro takes beautifully sharp images, and the stabilization is so solid, even at that focal length.

The Panasonic f2.8 zooms balance nicely and focus really well. I'm very happy with how they perform so far.

The Voigtlander primes are heavy, but the large grip of the G9 makes them much better than smaller cameras like the GX85 or even the original Olympus E-M5 plus grip. Focus peaking is on by default when you mount a manual focus lens, and the huge viewfinder makes focusing easier than with any other m43 camera I've used.

Speaking of grip, a local company makes a very inexpensive battery grip for the G9, and they have good quality aftermarket batteries, so I might stock up soon.

I'm currently researching how the Olympus f1.2 Pro primes perform with this camera - there seems to be some issue with backfocuing autofocus with the 17mm, so I'll have to test that in a shop before I buy one. As much as I like the Voigtlanders for video, I'm not that happy with them for photography. The bokeh is kind of gauzy, like a fine grey veil is over everything in the background. It's a fine aesthetic for video, but not a good look for still images. I love the small Olympus primes for general photography, but I'm looking for something extra if it exists for m43.

What makes a great system are the lenses,the zuiko 45mm f1.8 is probably the best lens in the hole line up and funny enough the cheapest.I use one right now but on a gx9 because my second hand sigma dp3 merrill did go kaput
happy shooting..:)

Well, I've finally got myself a G9. A local store had a good deal on a secondhand body, and it delightfully came with a second battery, too. Everything is familiar as I've been shooting with the GH4 for almost five years, and the grip is very comfortable. The change in mode dial placement will take a bit of getting used to, as I'm used to being able to switch that with my shooting hand, but we'll see how it goes.
I'm looking forward to shooting action stills with it, and also work video. The firmware has already been upgraded and I've put in all my custom mode settings. Autofocus in 4K is way faster and more accurate than the GH4, which is a great step up. This will be a lot of fun.

it is such a good platform that my working kit is now 2 G9's. The video capabilities with the latest firmware are just as good as the stills. Outstanding camera.

it is such a good platform that my working kit is now 2 G9's. The video capabilities with the latest firmware are just as good as the stills. Outstanding camera.

I can see why.

Yesterday, I was out for a work shoot (first time in ages since this pandemic hit, followed all social distancing mandates) and was amazed by how well this camera performed compared with the GH4. The GH4 has been my work camera for over five years, and the G9 stunned me.

1. Usable one touch autofocus. The GH4 was pretty patchy for autofocus, particularly in 4K mode. The G9 snaps on so fast that I thought the camera was messing up the AF. No, it was accurate 95% of the time, and when it was inaccurate, there was the same issue of subject contrast that you get with any contrast based AF system. Aim focus at a place with some contrast and AF is dead accurate.

2. Face detection. Shot a couple of interviews and the G9's AF locked on the faces like a dog on a chew toy. All you need to do is set face/animal AF at it works. It even recognizes human body shapes, not just faces.

3. Colour and exposure. The auto white balance and auto exposure of the GH4 were quirky. The GH4 consistently exposed a third to a full stop lower than what the exposure meter read for video, so I had to train myself to overexpose and compensate for this. Not so on the G9, which has dead on exposure.

I have a custom Cinelike-D profile which I use for video, and the colours were excellent, better than the GH4. I always turn in-camera sharpening down all the way, and the G9 seems to apply even less sharpening than the GH4. Great for my purposes as I grade my footage.

4. Handling. One issue that many talk about with the G9 is the very sensitive shutter button. If you're not careful, a half press becomes a full press, so you can accidentally start or stop shooting if you're not careful. You can assign AF to the back button, and start recording with the red Record button instead, and this worked perfectly. Again, one touch AF was so fast I thought it wasn't working properly. No, this is how AF is supposed to work now.

The grip is thick and supportive, and gives a real sense of security. All the buttons are where you want them to be, easily accessible with minimal hand adjustment. Depending on how you hold the camera, buttons become accessible without having to move your hand at all. The front function buttons are a godsend, why has this not been in mirrorless cameras for so long?

I've assigned shooting profiles to the three main Custom modes on the mode dial, and have a general shooting profile on the M(video) mode, so I get four shooting profiles in an instant.

Auto ISO is easily controlled, and you can set the upper limit to Auto ISO with the click of the front wheel when you enter that setting. It's amazing. And because ISO 3200 is relatively clean for video, I can set this as the upper limit and let the camera handle exposure for me. If I want more control, I just switch to manual ISO setting, which is only a button press and wheel click away.

IBIS is so good, especially when paired with Panasonic lenses with IS. Newer IS lenses even allow 'Dual IS II' which means the lens and camera talk to each other to create the most stable footage it can manage.

The only downsides I've seen is that battery life is a fair bit less than on the GH4, which is understandable given the drain that IBIS and constant AF calculation puts on the system. I also shoot in 4K 50p most of the time, which might add to the power usage.

The Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 v1 has micro jitters, which are especially noticeable at the long end, and this has not improved with the G9's IBIS. So I just leave that off for most situations, and I primarily shoot with a monopod anyway.

Record time is limited to 10 minutes in 4K 60/50p, and 30 minutes in 4K 24/25p. Unlike some less expensive Panasonics, there is no unlimited recording in AVCHD. This is okay for my purposes as I mostly shoot 50p for less than 10 minutes and 25p for less than 30 minutes anyway. If there's a long form recording like a long interview or concert/event, I'll use the GH4 or GH3 like I normally do.

I'm so pleased. I bought the G9 thinking that it would be a fun camera for stills and travel video, now I find out it can be a completely solid work camera that replaces the GH4. I can't wait to test out the rapid burst mode for action photography. I'm even contemplating picking up another G9 when prices and finances allow.

Why they would cripple the video record limit is beyond me..
G9 was lookin pretty good..until I heard that..

Yeah, they are probably trying to protect the GH5. Even lower price cameras like the G85 have unlimited video, and the LX10 and GX85 do unlimited video in AVCHD. The G9 does everything I would want from the GH5 except for unlimited video recording, so having record limits makes sense. Panasonic even removed the ability to perform an unlimited video hack when they updated the firmware late 2019.

The choice is clear, though. If you want unlimited high quality 4K 60p video from Panasonic, the GH5 and GH5S are the way to go.

Back