Panasonic GX9

biomed

Mentor
Local time
11:32 PM
For many years I was satisfied with my GX7s and was bound and determined not to get any new gear. Well, we all know how that goes. I just picked up a GX9. I find it to be a very nice camera that fills my needs well. The small grip doe not bother me at all. I always use a tripod with my long lenses. The EVF seems to be a source of complaint for many reviewers. but with my degrading eyes, it has caused me no problems. I will probably increase the EVF refresh rate to eliminate the "rainbowing" of the data displayed across the bottom of the display. I haven't noticed any color tearing in the EVF displayed image. Still looking at the newer features. What amazed me is that the GX9 uses the same battery as my GX7 and LX100. Used to be that a camera upgrade required investing in another set of batteries. I would be interested in hearing comments/tips from other GX9 users.

I have the GX 7 still and one thing I did to improve handling (although handling is not bad) was to buy a half case for it. I did this recently and was pleasantly surprised at how much the small increase in overall size contributed to improving its "feel" in hand. I dare say you could do the much same with the GX 9 if the size comes to bother you. I was lucky - as the GX 7 is now outdated I picked up a brand new half case for it for $20 plus postage. I believe these were originally listed at well over $100. Still it is nicely made.

Good luck with the camera. I am still happy with the gX 7 but no doubt will upgrade perhaps to a 9 at some stage (I usually buy second hand a couple of years after a given model is released. This still gives me a fairly modern camera but at much reduced cost).

Had a GX8, then went for the GX9. Missed the better EVF and weather resistant body, so back to the GX8, but do miss the IBIS upgrade the GX9 has.

The Japanese naming scheme reflects the position of the later GX cameras more accurately:

GX7 = GX7
GX8 = GX8
GX85 = GX7 Mk II
GX9 = GX7 Mk III

So the GX9 is really a successor to the GX7 line, which makes a lot of sense.

I found these to be excellent and surprisingly hefty cameras. Must just be me but I do somehow prefer the fixed, less fiddly viewfinder of the GX85...

I imagine to ride the current trend of putting top AF & other spec into even the most entry level offerings, the next GX will have Panasonic's newer 153 point AF system in order to be competitive. They'll become some hard-hitting little powerhouses.

GX9 selfie

49166528988_93808ab987_c.jpg

Panasonic GX9

curious how compare to Olympus m4/3. I have Nikon DSLR but thinking about going m4/3.

hap-
Either Panasonic or Olympus. with the exception of their top of the line models, will probably be less bulky and lighter than your DSLR. Other than that the selection of a brand or model is a personal choice. There is a lot of information on the internet.

I have a GX9.

It's a little small for my fingers and a bit more complicated, control-wise, than I'd like, and the EVF isn't the greatest. But it makes very nice photos and with a compact lens (like the Olympus Body Cap 15mm or 9mm FE) is a small, tight package that's easy to carry when I'm cycling. I have the P/L Summilux-DG 25 that I use with it as well—it can make some beautiful photos. The flippy VF is handy occasionally, although the LCD is better quality, and it works with my other FourThirds/Micro-FourThirds lenses and accessories.

Although larger, and slightly down on pixels, and with a much more exhaustively elaborate menu system, my Olympus E-M1 continues to be my best performer in FourThirds format cameras, and my Olympus E-1 is my favorite camera in this format ... but bulky.

G

I don't have the GX9 anymore, didn't use it for a terribly long time, but used the GX85 before it for a good 3+ years. While the ergonomics are a real compromise for the small size, they are otherwise really great cameras. Made for small primes like the 14/2.5 and 20/1.7. I still prefer M4/3 as an EVF-based smaller format to anything else, though the sensor tech could stand to improve.

Back