Photo Village NYC website down?

From the last web crawl, it appear the showroom is closed for renovations: https://web.archive.org/web/20220120...s.php?pageid=4

Not sure why the website would be down. I would try emailing or calling: https://www.facebook.com/photovillageindustries/

....not a good sign. They were on lower Broadway forever, near Madison Square Park, then moved to a location just across the street from B&H, and then that location closed. Brick & mortar is a tough gig in Manhattan, with few big players surviving.

The website is back up although partly under construction and they answered the phone when I called them yesterday.

Support your local camera store.

Marty

....not a good sign. They were on lower Broadway forever, near Madison Square Park, then moved to a location just across the street from B&H, and then that location closed. Brick & mortar is a tough gig in Manhattan, with few big players surviving.

I don't know how small businesses make it in places like New York where the cost of real estate is so outrageous. When I lived in Santa Fe, I worked at a locally owned camera store that was paying $15,000 a MONTH in rent for a small storefront. That same sized store in Fort Wayne would have cost $1200 a month. This was back in 2007. The store sold a lot of stuff, brought in a lot of money, but they struggled because rent was so high. Camera gear does not have high markups, so selling a $5000 Nikon D2x (the top of the line at that time) really didn't bring much profit (about $200 if I remember right). Imagine how much stuff you have to sell just to cover that $15,000 rent bill EVERY MONTH. Its just not sustainable.

I don't know how small businesses make it in places like New York where the cost of real estate is so outrageous. When I lived in Santa Fe, I worked at a locally owned camera store that was paying $15,000 a MONTH in rent for a small storefront. That same sized store in Fort Wayne would have cost $1200 a month. This was back in 2007. The store sold a lot of stuff, brought in a lot of money, but they struggled because rent was so high. Camera gear does not have high markups, so selling a $5000 Nikon D2x (the top of the line at that time) really didn't bring much profit (about $200 if I remember right). Imagine how much stuff you have to sell just to cover that $15,000 rent bill EVERY MONTH. Its just not sustainable.

Which is why B&H branched out to computers, TVs, music equipment etc.

Back