Photography Business - Do you accept credit cards???

haring

Established
Local time
3:28 AM
I have tried to avoid accepting credit cards in the past because of the incurred cost. It looks like that I need to change this because more and more brides and grooms want to pay via credit card.

My question: Do you accept credit cards? If yes, which company do you use? Which type of service/provider should I avoid? Which is the most cost effective provider? What is the easiest way to start this?

Thanks for all you help!

The first thing a merchant service will ask is what your annual billing is and what's your average ticket.

I take credit cards and have for more than a decade. You're not really "in business" until you do since you have to send so much business looking elsewhere.....to your competitors!

Are you in the USA? Are you a member of PPA?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I need some background info: how long in business, annual billing, etc. Then I can point you in the right direction. Some processors only deal with high volume chains and others deal with smaller businesses. Your state PPA affiliate (if in US) is the best place to start looking for this advice.

Dave

There are some pretty interesting options now for small businesses.
The one I am playing around with is Square - developed by one of the founders of Twitter.
Very simple to use on an I-phone or Android phone. Uses a card swiper that plugs into the headphone jack. As with other services, you pay 2.75 percent of every payment you take in.
But there's no minimum. I used it to send myself $10 from a credit card, just to test it out.
And your startup cost is basically free.

I wrote a story about these mobile payment options recently for my paper. If you are interested, it's here.

There are some pretty interesting options now for small businesses.
The one I am playing around with is Square - developed by one of the founders of Twitter.
Very simple to use on an I-phone or Android phone. Uses a card swiper that plugs into the headphone jack. As with other services, you pay 2.75 percent of every payment you take in.
But there's no minimum. I used it to send myself $10 from a credit card, just to test it out.
And your startup cost is basically free.

I wrote a story about these mobile payment options recently for my paper. If you are interested, it's here.

Awesome!!! I have just ordered the square reader! I love that there are no monthly fees! I don't have a wedding every month where the bride and groom wants to pay with the plastic.

The first thing a merchant service will ask is what your annual billing is and what's your average ticket.

I take credit cards and have for more than a decade. You're not really "in business" until you do since you have to send so much business looking elsewhere.....to your competitors!

Are you in the USA? Are you a member of PPA?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I need some background info: how long in business, annual billing, etc. Then I can point you in the right direction. Some processors only deal with high volume chains and others deal with smaller businesses. Your state PPA affiliate (if in US) is the best place to start looking for this advice.

Dave

So far this hasn't been the problem. Brides and grooms want to hire me because of my photos rather than the fact that I take credit cards..

I own a credit card processing company-look for a few things..

Monthly minimums-you don't want them, especially starting out.
Contracts-NEVER sign a multi-year contract for a payment service.
Flexibility-will they allow you to take deposits? Large transactions?
Don't "lease" a credit card terminal. Period.

All this is useless if you do not verify that the person you talk to is an actual rep for the company on the paperwork-most are reps on a 1099, and you will never see them again.

I own a credit card processing company-look for a few things..

Monthly minimums-you don't want them, especially starting out.
Contracts-NEVER sign a multi-year contract for a payment service.
Flexibility-will they allow you to take deposits? Large transactions?
Don't "lease" a credit card terminal. Period.

All this is useless if you do not verify that the person you talk to is an actual rep for the company on the paperwork-most are reps on a 1099, and you will never see them again.

Thanks for the input!

Try looking at "Square."

The reader is free and there are no monthly fees.

It plugs into the headphone jack on a "Smart" phone.

Have you looked at Pay Pal? We use it for our TCPPA for members to pay dues and attend events.

Hope this helps!

The Square system is so obscenely easy there's no reason not to accept credit cards. I just keep the device in my camera bag like any other essential photo tool. There were so many times in the past where people offered to buy a photo on the spot on in follow up, if I even remembered to, it didn't pan out. This way you can do it when the desire is there.

There's a small fee with each transaction but getting paid is better than not getting paid. nd there's no monthly fee for owning the device/service. You use it as you need. And the deposit is made in 1-3 days directly into your bank account.

One other thing to mention regarding taking credit cards is that there is a recent law in effect now that requires credit card processors to report to the IRS when you take in more than $20k per year. I just got the letter from our processor.

This is totally off topic, but it also applies to Paypal. So if you do a lot of business on ebay, expect it to be reported...

Another vote here for Square for on-site payments. I also use PayPal for online purposes.

The Square system is so obscenely easy there's no reason not to accept credit cards. I just keep the device in my camera bag like any other essential photo tool. There were so many times in the past where people offered to buy a photo on the spot on in follow up, if I even remembered to, it didn't pan out. This way you can do it when the desire is there.

There's a small fee with each transaction but getting paid is better than not getting paid. nd there's no monthly fee for owning the device/service. You use it as you need. And the deposit is made in 1-3 days directly into your bank account.

I don't run a photography business, but I do run another type of business. It would be safe to say that sales would be non-existent without accepting cards/PayPal etc. I know I would not order from anywhere which did not accept either PayPal or credit card.

For weddings etc. it's maybe a bit different as we're not talking about impulse buys etc.

I use paypal, which now has an onsite reader like square (via your smart phone).

Ridiculously easy. The per transaction fees are annoying, but not enough to trump the convenience.

Does the Square service allow remote transactions if someone gives you the card number and security code ?
It would be useful for buying and selling those surplus cameras and lenses we all have.

Yes. I use the PayPal iPhone scanner. Ordered a Square reader originally, but it never arrived.

Yes and I use Square at 2.75% I can't complain.

By the time the total amount spend on their commission become bothersome to me. I will have enough turn over to negotiate a better deal.

I have been using them since almost 2 years now and have no complaints. Other that you do need a good connection to the internet for the authorization to go trough.

Currently I am using my iPhone 5 to swipe the cards. Planning on getting a iPad Mini with 4G so I can use the invoicing tool as well.

Over all its a very easy and professional way to finalize your business.

Does the Square service allow remote transactions if someone gives you the card number and security code ?
It would be useful for buying and selling those surplus cameras and lenses we all have.

Yes but the commission is something like 3.5%. Still better than Paypapal.

Square-up is what I'm starting to use. I don't work with the public in my commercial work but my book publishing I do book signings and people always want to use credit / debit cards. Like before no monthly fee or minimum, 2.75% and the money goes into your account in a couple of days and free reader and app for my phone. I've talked to quite a few people using it and never heard a complaint.

Back