Photos by Tuulikki in the news.

maigo

Well-known
Local time
6:49 PM
Photos by Tuulikki Abrahamson are used to support this CBC News article about a Vancouver resident who is being displaced by her landlord.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...urhood-say-they-re-being-renovicted-1.6140940

Renoviction is a common problem in Vancouver where landlords use renovation for occupancy by family as an excuse to move long-term (low rent) tenants out only to be replaced within months by full-rate (current market rate) renters.

Here in neighbouring Burnaby we have the related problem of demoviction where long-term renters in decades old low-rise (3 story, 20-80) suite buildings are evicted to make way for demolition of the building and construction of skyscrapers (40-70 stories).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Canada has terrible housing problems, not just in Vancouver. Same "investors" are rendering housing as not affordable for most Canadians in GTA.
We came and were able to afford it. Just ten years ago. Now it is driven by "investors" with non Canadian income to non affordable levels for locals.

Have not that heard the word 'renoviction' before. Don't give the developers in California a new idea.

I could not see the photos, I received a 404 error.

If this IS the actions of non-Canadians then IMO the real problem here is that Canada allows nonresidents to buy real estate.
We should follow New Zealand's lead

If this IS the actions of non-Canadians then IMO the real problem here is that Canada allows nonresidents to buy real estate.
We should follow New Zealand's lead

It is not so simple. Foreign student is officially the resident. It just not only apartment where student lives, but entire building under student's name.
Or suitcases of cash from abroad and properties registered under living in Canada relatives.

But in general, yes. Apartments for sale in Toronto are on on-line auctions outside of Canada. New condo sales office goes in Toronto and exact copy of it is build not in Canada. Empty condos in Toronto. Non-resident owner doesn't mind to pay all the maintenance fees and keep it empty.

Decades ago I met Canadians from Vancouver who can't afford live in Vancouver due to housing prices. Now it is our children future.

https://financialpost.com/real-estate/billions-in-dirty-cash-helped-fuel-vancouvers-housing-boom

I wouldn't.blame it on being learned from California developers since this is a tale as old as rentals themselves. Everywhere there is a tenant, there is a landlord who can be bought and a tenant forced/priced out. Been happening for a very long time.
Phil Forrest

Back