Pics from Vest Pocket Kodak

One thing I will mention is that I managed to use 120 film in the camera by grinding down the ends of the spool and fiddling around a bit. I had read somewhere that it was possible and it can be done with patience.

And yes ... the viewfinder is a bit squinty. Photographers back then had their challenges to say the least! lol

And thanks for the kind comments about that image ... it's one of my favourites and I think sometimes it's nice to get a camera like this well out of it's comfort zone and see what happens. :)

...I would be happy just to get a decent exposure at this point... what did you say the fixed shutter speed was on that Vest Pocket camera?

Early ones had 25th and 50th plus B and T but later on (1920's) they switched to the evil "I" and your guess is as good as mine.

Kodak%20VPK%208B-X2.jpg

Regards, David

Thanks, David! As always you are a gift, a treasure of information.:)

With all the Ilford 127 film I ordered, I need to find me a Vest Pocket camera to shoot it alongside the Baby Rolleiflex!

... what did you say the fixed shutter speed was on that Vest Pocket camera?

If I understand correctly, the version I have is supposedly around 1/25th... Apertures are f/11, f/16, f/22 and f/32 (marked 1,2,3 and 4 respectively). With ASA 100 film, full-bright "Sunny 16" exposure is 1/25th at f/32! I'm not even sure how to shoot with a faster film.... Stick an ND filter on there with some tape perhaps?

Thanks, David! As always you are a gift, a treasure of information.:)

With all the Ilford 127 film I ordered, I need to find me a Vest Pocket camera to shoot it alongside the Baby Rolleiflex!

All part of the service...

I'll wish you luck finding one; they were 3, 4 or 5 pounds at the most once upon a time but two books have pushed the prices up. And getting an original instruction manual will cost an arm and a leg (mostly postage from American sellers, I'm sorry to say).

What fails, imo, are the shutters as they become erratic; the rivets on the lazy tongs pop out but can be pushed back and the side plate is a poor quality casting that often cracks. Trying to make one good one out of two that are so-so is a problem as parts aren't always interchangeable, often by a few thousandths of an inch. And then there's the bellows...

Anyway, I'll wish you luck again and look forwards to seeing the pictures.

Regards, David

If I understand correctly, the version I have is supposedly around 1/25th... Apertures are f/11, f/16, f/22 and f/32 (marked 1,2,3 and 4 respectively). With ASA 100 film, full-bright "Sunny 16" exposure is 1/25th at f/32! I'm not even sure how to shoot with a faster film.... Stick an ND filter on there with some tape perhaps?

Your guess is as good as mine here, I've nothing that new in the heap of VPK's and can't afford 127 film or rather won't encourage them at those prices...

Have you looked in the old Kodak catalogues to identify it? Here's a good place to start:-

http://www.kodakcollector.com/

and a 1926 catalogue here:-

http://www.kodakcollector.com/images/catalogpdf/1926%20wm%20red.pdf

The model B appeared in 1926 and by 1927 there were 4 or 5 versions and Kodak did like changing the spec. every now and again. Usually the lens was a simple one hidden behind the iris diaphragm, so fixed focus and f/11 but VPK's are full of surprises... It could even be a CZ focussing version.

So I'll wish you luck; don't forget to post some pictures.

Regards, David

Haha, yes, indeed. I do it all the time as I can't afford an ND filter for every lens/camera (or close-up filter). Works fine!:):):)

But I prefer slow speed film...:)

This is cool!:)

Been looking at some VP cameras... all of them have bad bellows. Is there hope for restoring/remaking bellows?

I'm in the process of replacing bellows on a VPK right now and will say, that if any camera repairman knows what I now know about the VPK - they would never take on the job of replacing the bellows, ever!

I've replaced bellows on several Kodak folders in the past, and it was a relatively simple process. The VPK was apparently designed without any thought given to future servicing. The trellis struts are riveted into the body, and get in the way, the fixed back means there's no "inside access" to the bellows from the back - and the aluminum (instead of brass) means the tabs that hold the bellows to the camera are not only much more difficult to bend away to release the bellows, they're also very fragile.

Had I known going in what I was getting into, I would've chosen a more sophisticated VPK than the base model, since I'm never doing this again.

If you want a shooter, get one that's got good bellows.

After years (decades, actually) of sitting in the attic, my old Kodak Vest Pocket Autographic is back in service. This is the first roll since the 1970s. Of that I am certain... I fooled around with it in 7th or 8th grade but its been idle ever since.

I had quite the dog's breakfast of a camera bag on this day... Nikon D80, Voigtlander Perkeo and Vito B, and the Kodak folder.

AUQwvz.jpg

I like this one!

Rob

How about some color images?

I'm seriously considering it. Ektar 100 is waiting in the fridge. I needed to shoot this roll first to get myself more comfortable with the viewfinder, which tends to aim high... Careful aiming (and a tripod) are a must. And I must remember to aim low or else I will cut off the foreground or the bottom of my subject.

Well back in the day the ortho film only needed the blue end to focus correctly. Color changes all that. Another difference is that pan film will be sharper if a yellow filter is used.

Back