Pixii Maintenance

boojum

Mentor
Local time
4:22 AM
Get your brickbats ready.

All cameras require maintenance. Even the new Pixii. I am sure the manual will detail how to clean it with a micro-fiber towel. Maybe a damp one with a mild detergent for real dirt. Not much news there. But what about the sensor?

The sensor is reputed to be a Sony product or a Sony product in conjunction with another manufacturer, Fuji I believe. Leica and Sony both use pink gel sticks for sensor cleaning. So I assumed that Pixii would, too. But to be sure I wrote. Here is the response, direct from David Barth:

"Gel stick: we use the RIcoh red sticky cleaner.

Otherwise, Rollei swabs with isopropyl alcohol."

There you have it, as direct as can be. As isopropyl alcohol can streak I am thinking that very pure ethanol, like 190+ proof grain alcohol might be better. Any thoughts on the alcohol?

I wonder if Pixii was not cable to get dust reduction mechanism implemented.

Here is no difference on cleaning sensor from any other camera. You will be better served if you would start the thread for how to clean the sensor. But it might sounds like dead horse...

I wonder if Pixii was not cable to get dust reduction mechanism implemented.

Here is no difference on cleaning sensor from any other camera. You will be better served if you would start the thread for how to clean the sensor. But it might sounds like dead horse...

Leica and Sony insist on the pink gel stick for sensor cleaning while the rest insist on the blue gel stick. First error.

I started the thread about "Maintenance." I did not start it about "Sensor Maintenance." Second error.

I would believe there may be some other maintenance ideas. Perhaps the heading should have been "Care." If you check out the Leica manuals and others you will find much information from the manufacturers about their camera's care.

I may not be quite as bright as the average bear but I am not a total idiot. I would like to attract ideas on the CARE and MAINTENANCE of the Pixii.

Anything you think you can contribute would be welcome.

Leica and Sony insist on the pink gel stick for sensor cleaning while the rest insist on the blue gel stick. First error.

I started the thread about "Maintenance." I did not start it about "Sensor Maintenance." Second error.

I would believe there may be some other maintenance ideas. Perhaps the heading should have been "Care." If you check out the Leica manuals and others you will find much information from the manufacturers about their camera's care.

I may not be quite as bright as the average bear but I am not a total idiot. I would like to attract ideas on the CARE and MAINTENANCE of the Pixii.

Anything you think you can contribute would be welcome.

First, I could help you will alcohol. I used fresh, 99%. It evaporates from sensor and else instantly. Can't help you if it has to be red or blue bottle.

Second, this camera has no mechanical shutter and here is no maintenance for electronic shutter.

Third, https://youtu.be/GLq1QFXE348?t=403 Horizontal RF's adjustment is DIY possible.

First, I could help you will alcohol. I used fresh, 99%. It evaporates from sensor and else instantly. Can't help you if it has to be red or blue bottle.

Second, this camera has no mechanical shutter and here is no maintenance for electronic shutter.

Third, https://youtu.be/GLq1QFXE348?t=403 Horizontal RF's adjustment is DIY possible.

Agreed, the high-proof grain ethanol is better than isopropyl. We have no liquor commission like QLC here to get the makings for Carnival Caribou but I am pretty sure 190+ proof can be found in our regular liquor stores. If not, the drug store will sell all I ever will need for sensors. The wipe sticks are a camera or on-line store purchase.

I still do wonder about the Lieca and Sony use of pink gel sticks and how they would work on the sensor (Sony-Fuji?) in the Pixii.

What I found interesting was that David Barth had Ricoh red stick cleaner as a first choice. I will have to find some.

I guess this is what early adopters deal with. So long as we do not need bat wings and newt eyes I am OK with it.

Agreed, the high-proof grain ethanol is better than isopropyl. We have no liquor commission like QLC here to get the makings for Carnival Caribou but I am pretty sure 190+ proof can be found in our regular liquor stores. If not, the drug store will sell all I ever will need for sensors. The wipe sticks are a camera or on-line store purchase.

I still do wonder about the Lieca and Sony use of pink gel sticks and how they would work on the sensor (Sony-Fuji?) in the Pixii.

What I found interesting was that David Barth had Ricoh red stick cleaner as a first choice. I will have to find some.

I guess this is what early adopters deal with. So long as we do not need bat wings and newt eyes I am OK with it.

I would never spare alcohol from liquor store for anything rather than internal consumption.
For sensors I get non drinkable 99% one from pharmacy corner. It disappeared totally at first two years of Covid, but coming back now. I was able to get fresh one not so long time ago.
The trick is to always use fresh one. Once you have opened it for first time, it absorbs water from the air and after some time it is getting closer to 70% one which is not evaporating fast enough and might leave residual.
As for gummy sticks, I have zero confidence. Tried once, it was ugly on sensor where it went on.
I have zero confidence with sensor swabs tissues, liquid as well. No good from my experience. To be able to get rid of gunk completely I have to stipe it off after first use and wrap Kimtech tissues on same swabs.

Is the "Ricoh red sticky cleaner" the one shown in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjqfE5l1Gdk

Most of my photography is done indoors so my sensors usually stay pretty clean; all I've had to do so far is occasionally blow off a few flecks with an ear syringe. But I want to know what to use in case I need to.

Update: I'm guessing this item at B&H photo is the same stick...? I like how its item number is O-ICK1... because when I see specks on my sensor, "oh, ick!" is exactly what I say...

Is the "Ricoh red sticky cleaner" the one shown in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjqfE5l1Gdk

Most of my photography is done indoors so my sensors usually stay pretty clean; all I've had to do so far is occasionally blow off a few flecks with an ear syringe. But I want to know what to use in case I need to.

Update: I'm guessing this item at B&H photo is the same stick...? I like how its item number is O-ICK1... because when I see specks on my sensor, "oh, ick!" is exactly what I say...

I think that may be it. I have the Eyelead blue and pink gel sticks. I cleaned my Leicas and Sony with the blue before I found it was too sticky and the pink was what I was supposed to use. Once again, being lucky was better than being smart and I suffered no damage. I am guessing the pink would be fine as the sensor is reputedly a Sony-Fuji and would probably share characteristics with the other Sonys. But I do not know that. My impression is that the pink Eyelead gel stick is the more benign. https://smile.amazon.com/Eyelead-Se...qid=1649892009&sprefix=eyelead,aps,178&sr=8-4

Memory card longevity. I wondered how and if a capable camera tech could do out of warranty repair. I wrote David Barth at Pixii and here is the clip of his reply.

"Hey, feels like the absence of an sd card keeps breaking the Interwebs...

To your question: memory can be replaced by a module swap, it depends on
the model generation how extensive (and expansive) the swap needs to be.
The first generation was a complete processor board replacement for example.

Out of warranty? Yes. In 10 years? To a certain extent, provided the
industry still manufactures the memory components the processor board wants
."

I hope this helps those who were wondering.

I am not sure where to put this but it is sort of maintenance, so here goes.

I have been having problems with my phone to camera communications since I got the camera. I like the camera a lot, but the intermittent bug was making me nuts and the little hair I have was disappearing as I ripped it out. Well, I found the bug and shot it. Nokia. I got a new Samsung today, got much of the old stuff off the Nokia, onto the Samsung and started working with the Samsung and one of the first things I put on it was the Pixii app. Would you believe that the Pixii app now talks to the camera? Response time between the two is good, being able to set the controls from the phone is a nice touch and being able to see the photos is pretty nice, too. All in all, a happier camper now.

Back