PIXII New french M Mount digital rangefinder announced

Perhaps a monochrome sensor. Keep it simple. Presumably the designers would rather write the code for a monochrome source. Or did they specify otherwise?

Who would buy this over a used M240? I mean it is a nice design and I do think it is cool to see someone attempt something new, but you can't charge the Leica tax on an under-spec'd camera when you are not Leica... :)

Good point!

it's a niche camera. Priced at far less than was the M-8 on launch. It's meaningless to compare the price with a second-hand camera in terms of whether it's a rip off. In fact it's silly to call it a rip-off; plainly no one will make a fortune from this. 20 per cent of that price in Europe will be purchase tax anyway. So stop being grumpy old men.

Far more important than the price, which professional photographers will offset against tax anyway, is corner smearing and how well that rangefinder actually works. When folks are getting all nostalgic about the Epson RD they ought also to remember how we had to keep sending the damn things off for RF recalibraiton etc.

I really enjoy threads like this. It's amazing how many people have opinions about a product that has no firm price, no firm specifications, and no firm release date. Talk about vaporware.

I really enjoy threads like this. It's amazing how many people have opinions about a product that has no firm price, no firm specifications, and no firm release date. Talk about vaporware.

Then you should visit the German DSLR-Forum, they have a part there which is solely dedicated to speculations, 50 pages and more about a yet unknown camera or lens ore whatever are not unusual. And if the product gets announced (like the PiXII), there is then another part which is only dedicated to announcements, adding another 50 pages or more. For example in case of the Canon R, 522 posts in the speculation part and 1787 posts when the R was announced but still no clear specs or price available.

Juergen

I cap my JPEG1 and if camera is capable, RAW files to 10-12 MP.
And I convert my edited JEPG1 files to 2MB, 2800 pixels on long side.

12MP might be the fw cap for fast transfer. This camera meant to be external camera for mobile phone and for those who are using mobile devices to edit images and to look at them on Insta.

It is a niche product indeed. Who needs MPs and large sensor if pictures are edited and viewed on mobile phone?

I think these guys knew and understand more than Zeiss :).

How about making an affordable and simple digital Leica M mount camera?

How about making an affordable and simple digital Leica M mount camera?

My film Leicas are 20 to 50 years old and built like a tank. Same with my Rollei TLRs. They will last forever even with regular use. What I don’t understand is why make a solid metal digital M when it’s practical life span is less than 10 years and most people upgrade within 3 or 5? Can digital M Leicas be more affordable if made from a polymer exterior or would the fans not buy it at all? Seems like an obvious place to cut costs? Or maybe offer an alternative model with a more disposable shell?

My film Leicas are 20 to 50 years old and built like a tank. Same with my Rollei TLRs. They will last forever even with regular use. What I don’t understand is why make a solid metal digital M when it’s practical life span is less than 10 years and most people upgrade within 3 or 5? Can digital M Leicas be more affordable if made from a polymer exterior or would the fans not buy it at all? Seems like an obvious place to cut costs? Or maybe offer an alternative model with a more disposable shell?

Why do you think the "practical life span is less than 10 years"? I see no reason why any current Leica M digital camera can't last 15 to 25 years. My 2003 Olympus E-1 DSLR is still going strong, and makes lovely photographs. Heck, even my M-D typ 262 is already almost three years old ... it's a long, long, long way from being worn out or unusable.

The fact is that most any quality digital camera made in the last decade and a half was likely discarded long before it was used up due to the forces of marketing and rising user expectations, not through lack of reliability and durability.

G

Why do you think the "practical life span is less than 10 years"? I see no reason why any current Leica M digital camera can't last 15 to 25 years. My 2003 Olympus E-1 DSLR is still going strong, and makes lovely photographs. Heck, even my M-D typ 262 is already almost three years old ... it's a long, long, long way from being worn out or unusable.

The fact is that most any quality digital camera made in the last decade and a half was likely discarded long before it was used up due to the forces of marketing and rising user expectations, not through lack of reliability and durability.

G

In this disposable society I tip my hat to you sir. I am also using an M8.2. However not everyone feel the way you. But then again I am sure companies would prefer their consumer base to keep buying and buying and not having the used market as their biggest competitor.

• APS-C sensor
  • prices from 3.540 € (body only)
https://pixii.fr/specifications

giphy.gif

I really liked the concept of the Pixii - unobtrusive and as close to a film camera as you can get, however the cost is unbelievable and completely out of my range. It's a crop sensor as well! I've just checked and I can buy a new Fujifilm X-Pro2 for £1,119 or €1,240 - under half the price!

I'm sorry, I really wanted to like the Pixii but they've killed it with their pricing.

Back