PIXII New french M Mount digital rangefinder announced

Sacre Bleu! It looks like a Hermes hand bag had a love child with a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes, and costs more than a Tiffany necklace. Let's hope it does not smell like cheese.

To really appreciate how Pixii are pricing themselves out of the market, you can get a Leica CL for £2,250 (inc. vat) - now if I had the money, which one would I choose? :rolleyes:

https://www.leicastore-uk.co.uk/products/leica-cl-silver

You're comparing apples with oranges, neither the XPro nor the CL are Rangefinders, thats what you mainly pay for because there's no competition on the market, see Leica M or Epson RD1 before. But agree, can't see a market at this price anyway. On the other hand, was my thought too when I heard the price of the CL when you can get a Fuji X-E3 for half the price with nearly identical specs. You never know.

My concern would be to invest so much money with the uncertainty if the company still exists in a few month (guarantee, repairs, software updates and so on). Like the concept though.

Juergen

€3,540 for a camera with a 12MP APS-C sensor? Did they buy these sensors as an NOS lot on eBay? Surely no one currently fabricates them.

It's very very difficult to get component prices down to the levels that the major (Sonylumpuscanikons) manufacturers pay. They simply have huge volumes compared to a startup.

This unfortunately will doom this product.

if it cost 10% of what they're going for, it'd feel appealing. but an apsc electronic shutter camera for 3.5k euro, seriously... nope.

• APS-C sensor
  • prices from 3.540 € (body only)
https://pixii.fr/specifications

giphy.gif

sums it up beautifully

I think it's cool that there's something out there that's a little different, and I wish them every success with it. I don't know anything about the company, but it's nice to see a new company emerge with a camera that is different and niche.

I would certainly like to try one - why not? I'm curious. Would I buy one? Well, I'm covered for cameras so that question doesn't even arise - and if it did the PIXII is out of my price bracket. Introducing a new rangefinder is a nice concept, though.

You know what else? I love the slightly eccentric old Foca rangefinders, and I'm as happy as anything that there's a new camera by a French company out there. Good luck to them for having a go.

11 Megapixel (4080x2732)? Seems a little low by today's standards (i7 level, but larger sensor). Hard to compete with Fujifilm cameras with that price. I am not sure having software on the phone is an advantage.

Last post was almost exactly a year ago, since then the press/rumor mill dried up entirely and we all forgot about this thing! It frustrated me at the time and I still think about it now and then. How badly must they have screwed up not to have some kind of functional product by now?

Leica mount digital rangefinder: we have how many models of this in existence? And all of them made by Leica? I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be an enthusiastic niche market.

Simple design with no in-camera LCD, but a fast connection to a reliable smartphone app - this is smart! It's worth doing. It's not worth the rumored price, and not with a lousy APS-C sensor, but it's a concept that's worth pursuing.

Still disappointed that no one could make this happen.

It's not worth the rumored price, and not with a lousy APS-C sensor, but it's a concept that's worth pursuing.

Economics has laws. Ignore them at your own risk.

The money quotes here are “It's not worth the rumored price” and “no one could make this happen”, both true.

Economies of scale. Leica’s existing paid for physical and experience infrastructure vs. those who lack a manufacturing facility, experience, and equipped only with an idea. Anybody can have an idea. Talk is cheap, as has been noted elsewhere.
The rumored price, which might have been enough for a shoestring company to produce them for and remain in the black, was more than people would be willing to pay in numbers sufficient for the company to remain in the black.
They floated the idea, and woke up after evaluating the response. Thus, dead. 💀

And speaking of sketchy ideas for expensive things that not enough people are clamoring for, where’s that Zeiss ZX1?

Leica mount digital rangefinder: we have how many models of this in existence? And all of them made by Leica? I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be an enthusiastic niche market...

You could call this the “Epson R-D1 Effect.” The R-D1 was a very good camera for its day (I still use mine occasionally) and its specs were competitive for the period. It had the backing of a major, well-known manufacturer and actually beat Leica to the marketplace. Its downfall: high price relative to DSLRs (although lower than Leica), minor but very heavily publicized rangefinder calibration problems with the first few hundred cameras, but most of all... “It's not a Leica!”

In other words, the affluent rangefinder fans who made up its natural target market preferred to wait a little longer and could afford to pay a few thousand dollars more for a Leica-branded solution. Every sensible manufacturer learned that lesson, so nobody has put a foot in that bear trap again.

The Leica market has gotten noticeably younger since the days of the Epson R-D1. If Fuji made a full frame M-mount rangefinder for $3000, it would sell like crazy.

Economics has laws. Ignore them at your own risk.

The money quotes here are “It's not worth the rumored price” and “no one could make this happen”, both true.

Economies of scale. Leica’s existing paid for physical and experience infrastructure vs. those who lack a manufacturing facility, experience, and equipped only with an idea. Anybody can have an idea. Talk is cheap, as has been noted elsewhere.
The rumored price, which might have been enough for a shoestring company to produce them for and remain in the black, was more than people would be willing to pay in numbers sufficient for the company to remain in the black.
They floated the idea, and woke up after evaluating the response. Thus, dead. 💀

And speaking of sketchy ideas for expensive things that not enough people are clamoring for, where’s that Zeiss ZX1?
Up until a few years ago, Cosina was able to sell Voigtlander bodies with rangefinders for $1000, and to be quite honest, you could get literally everything else needed to make a good digital rangefinder from off the shelf. Yeah, full frame sensors are a bit more expensive than the example I'm about to make, but look at how cheaply the Yi (Young Innovators) M1 micro four thirds camera was made and sold out of China, with actually a very good Sony sensor that is only put in the higher-tier cameras by Olympus and Panasonic. I know the kit was under $500 out of the gate, and frequently sold for far less.

I suspect a lot of the cost and delay leading to the no-show was due to the global shutter, but who was asking for that on a rangefinder, anyway???

Back