pixii rangefinder

It is $3500, for a 12mp camera that has an ISO range from 320-1600, and apparently it is only good at 320 and 640.

What I don't understand is where they sourced their sensors from? Who still makes/carries stock of 15 year old tech sensors?

Sounds like they repurposed an M8 :)

It is $3500, for a 12mp camera that has an ISO range from 320-1600, and apparently it is only good at 320 and 640.

What I don't understand is where they sourced their sensors from? Who still makes/carries stock of 15 year old tech sensors?

It is camera with large size global sensor, which I don't think are cheap to make.
It has huge advantage over digital M, no mechanical shutter.
But with only 28mm and narrower frame lines its just another Epson.
42mm is the actual widest. It sucks already.

Are you sure its global? or just electronic like many other cameras?

It could be global or rolling. I'm not sure if here is any as "just".
This camera has global electronic shutter.
https://pixii.fr/specifications
Sensor and shutter are same thing. No mechanical shutter.

"It’s an entirely electronic camera
Apart from the rangefinder, Pixii has no mechanical parts. The shutter is a global electronic shutter. The dials and shutter button are electronic switches."
https://www.35mmc.com/08/06/2020/pixii-model-a1112-a-primer/#It8217s_an_entirely_electronic_camera

It could be global or rolling. I'm not sure if here is any as "just".
This camera has global electronic shutter.
https://pixii.fr/specifications
Sensor and shutter are same thing. No mechanical shutter.

"It’s an entirely electronic camera
Apart from the rangefinder, Pixii has no mechanical parts. The shutter is a global electronic shutter. The dials and shutter button are electronic switches."
https://www.35mmc.com/08/06/2020/pixii-model-a1112-a-primer/#It8217s_an_entirely_electronic_camera

Hmmm, good catch and find...

This thing is so incredibly DOA.

Okay, name a worse current production digital camera without going under $200. Just try.
APS-C body meant to be used with lenses designed for full frame cameras.
Camera in one hand phone in the other, waiting for the bluetooth to pair.
ISO range of 320, 640, 1250, 2500, so base ISO is for all practical purposes too high, and 1250 and 2500 are both “noisy”.
12 MP. (Which I don’t inherently object to, but 12 MP is pretty easily made to perform well without any noise at 1250 ISO simply because the photosites are so large. But, not this sensor. Who even makes a sensor currently that performs this poorly?)
And so much more.

Reviewer, who is almost certainly trying to be gentle to keep his access open, says:

“But the target audience here is less of one that is overly worried about ultimate image quality, and more of one that’s motivated by the very specific user experience Pixii Provides.

In fact, just as there are those of us who enjoy camera like the M8 for the limitation its potential image quality imposes, there will be some who find pleasure in using the Pixii for the same reasons. ”

So, masochists and self flagellists mostly. Masochists with cash they desire to not spend fruitfully.

Who’s it for? Reviewer says that, “For me, it’s definitely the user experience. I have found immense satisfaction in the fact that Pixii crushes my options.....”
It sure does. No doubt about that.

I don’t know what kind of drugs someone needs to take to think that this thing will find enough of a market to create a stable, economically viable manufacturing enterprise, but I don’t have any, and even in my younger days, never took anything quite that disorienting. Am taking 2 to 1 odds against a successful camera production company ever coming into being based solely on this thing; any and all takers, five will get you ten.
In today’s camera market environment, there are people saying that Nikon might not survive, but this crippled unicorn is going to make it? Yeah, don’t think so.

Larry, it does not need to be paired to a phone to work. That's just for doing other stuff.

But I agree with you about the rest.

Hamish even says they gave him one to review because they were trying to find someone who would say nice things about it.

What actually was the design brief for this camera before it made it to planning/dev/production?

Larry, it does not need to be paired to a phone to work. That's just for doing other stuff.

I know that, but it looks to be so poor at doing the “other stuff” that people will probably want to pair it with a phone just to see if there is some joy to be had here.

You know, those people who after 2 months of ownership, grew tired of having their “options crushed.”

Base ISO 320 is fine for me. I use ISO 400 film with film and digital rangefinder.
12 MP is awesome. I'm not a cropper.
It looks like not so many relatively large sensors with global shutter are available.

3500 price, I'm sorry, France is just in EU as Germany. Leica fans always have excuse for high prices due to EU labor and other costs.

Let's pretend the Pixii does not exist.

And someone says to you, "we're going make an all new Digital rangefinder camera. What would you like to see?"

Who here would have said:

M mount with a 12mp APS-C sensor, with ISO range from 320-1600, with no removable memory cards , with no hot shoe so you can't use flash, no rear screen but you can pair it to your phone, all for $4000?

I miss the Konost...

Back