Pixii Really Surprised me

According to the Quick Start instruction manual, downloaded from the Pixii website:
  • The Pixii battery is removable.
  • It has a micro-USB connector and runs USB 3.1. USB-C is a larger connector and requires additional power and services to run the full protocol.
  • You can download the photos by connecting it to a computer without anything else as it mounts like a USB hard drive.
I'm trying to understand a new camera: logic, and correct information, is essential to that.

G

I don't think logic comes into play here. I'm not buying a camera based solely on the type of lens mount it has. I'm looking at the overall picture. Granted, the makers of Pixii had to make compromises in order to keep to a predetermined form factor for the body, but I think they went too far. No removable data recording media (SD or CF card), no removable battery (if it goes bad you have to return the camera), you need a smart phone and app to be able to download the internal memory (something else to have to haul around).

A little more real estate in the body would have allowed room for a card holder and removable battery, plus a USB-C connector to eliminate the smart phone requirement. But they were more interested in making a pretty little camera, and slapped an M mount on it because they want to tap a market where folks supposedly have deep pockets full of cash.

I have a lot of reasons why I buy Leica cameras and lenses. Mainly because they are better than the clones I started using to see if I would like the originals. But that's it. If the lenses were junk, or the bodies didn't fit my hands, I never would have bought into the system. And it's not like I'm made of money either. There are plenty of lenses and bodies I'll never blow money on because they are just so darned expensive (well, maybe if I win a lottery...oh wait, I don't even buy lottery tickets).

You know, Cosina didn't think there was a market for a new digital M rangefinder camera. If there was, and they had built one, I'm sure it would not have been like the Pixii.
PF

Caro,
I feel a small itch...you know...down there... This is troubling. Troubling because there is a lovely quality to these photographs.

I detest cars. I love riding in cars. They take me to the story, they run my friends to the hospital, they kill my friends and they used to carry my film, when I was a young woman, to the aeroplane that would perhaps wind up somewhere civilized.

To paraphrase a dear friend, "I hate this $hit. It makes me think that there might be an alternative."

So... Stephen, darling.... Is there, is this, really an alternative to the M-digital body? Really. I hate Leica service. I loved -- past tense -- loved my Leica film bodies and Leitz built superb optics... But so many systems work so very well now. Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Panasonic, Sony....

Achh... This is not for me. I have given all my Leitz lenses to people who can use them (there were only three....28, 50, 90...) and that will be that.

I will not look again.

Devotedly,
Mme. O.

...I'm trying to understand a new camera: logic, and correct information, is essential to that...

I’m trying to do the same.

Half-baked statements based on wrong information about a camera that only one of us here actually owns is unhelpful.

Stephen, what is your opinion of the viewfinder: eye relief; rangefinder clarity, low light effectiveness etc?

Thank you for posting the back and white shots, I look forward to seeing colour.

According to the Quick Start instruction manual, downloaded from the Pixii website:
  • The Pixii battery is removable.
  • It has a micro-USB connector and runs USB 3.1. USB-C is a larger connector and requires additional power and services to run the full protocol.
  • You can download the photos by connecting it to a computer without anything else as it mounts like a USB hard drive.
I'm trying to understand a new camera: logic, and correct information, is essential to that.

G

You're right, G. Some of the information I have differs from what you have, and therefore I will have to remove myself from further discussion of the Pixii until such time comprehensive reviews from more than one source can confirm the actual make-up of the camera, and its operations.

PF

I’m trying to do the same.

Stephen, what is your opinion of the viewfinder: eye relief; rangefinder clarity, low light effectiveness etc?

Thank you for posting the back and white shots, I look forward to seeing colour.

The thing about the Pixii that makes it worth looking at is

1) an excellent optical Rangefinder / Viewfinder (not another one of those damned EVF's!)

2) excellent images (perfectly usable, but smaller and lower resolution than many professional pixel peeper poopers would ever tolerate even in their worst analog nightmares).

Yet many people at RFF still find the smaller megapickeled RD1, M8 and M8.2 completely adequate. Time will tell if they find the Pixii adequate too.

Still, the Pixii is a VERY different shooting experience.

Its kind of like when the Leica M8 was first introduced. That was completely different and people who wanted to use it just had to adapt. I remember one photog who adamantly swore he would never buy the M8 when it was introduced because of the loud shutter. About 6 months later he was using the M8.

Well, if you want the different Pixii rangefinder experience, you will just have to adapt. No way around that.

I am just happy to have another non Leica digital M rangefinder choice in production. Its been a while since the RD1.

The M8 has grown to be one of my favorite cameras. This is based on how much I enjoy using this camera. If your Pixii is enjoyable to use, Stephen, then it is a good camera for you.

Pixii is the ONLY M rangefinder camera besides Leica using electronic framelines......
Pixii is the ONLY M digital rangefinder that will accept your collapsed LTM lenses, no problem!

Are they mechanical framelines with electronic illumination (like the Leica) or is it really electronic framelines like in a Fuji? If it is really electronic framelines (and there is a position sensor on the RF cam) through software it should be able to not only correct for parallax but also adjust for frame size.

As far as collapsed LTM lenses while I haven't used all of them I have mounted/collapsed many into my M240 and RD-1 with no problems. Measured them all ahead of time. The RD-1 is different from the Bessa's in this regard as it has the spacer on the lens mount that pushes the lenses further away from the shutter.

Shawn

Do you have any wides in the 18mm to 25mm range to test on the Pixii?

- Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 and f/1.8 and f/3.5 and f/4
- Voigtlander 25mm f/4
- Zeiss ZM 18mm f/4
- Zeiss ZM 21mm f/2.8 and f/4.5
- Zeiss ZM 25mm f/2.8

etc.

Are they mechanical framelines with electronic illumination (like the Leica) or is it really electronic framelines like in a Fuji? If it is really electronic framelines (and there is a position sensor on the RF cam) through software it should be able to not only correct for parallax but also adjust for frame size.

As far as collapsed LTM lenses while I haven't used all of them I have mounted/collapsed many into my M240 and RD-1 with no problems. Measured them all ahead of time. The RD-1 is different from the Bessa's in this regard as it has the spacer on the lens mount that pushes the lenses further away from the shutter.

Shawn

Electronic framelines, mechanical RF cam follower mates to the lens cam.

Do you have any wides in the 18mm to 25mm range to test on the Pixii?

- Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 and f/1.8 and f/3.5 and f/4
- Voigtlander 25mm f/4
- Zeiss ZM 18mm f/4
- Zeiss ZM 21mm f/2.8 and f/4.5
- Zeiss ZM 25mm f/2.8

etc.

ZM's no. All the Voigts.

More Pixii tests will have to wait in line with other projects.

You're right, G. Some of the information I have differs from what you have, and therefore I will have to remove myself from further discussion of the Pixii until such time comprehensive reviews from more than one source can confirm the actual make-up of the camera, and its operations.

I rarely need to look at a whole bunch of reviewers' impressions and opinions. I pick the one or two that I know well and enjoy their comments, and look to the manufacturer to provide detailed specifications and operational instruction documents.

The information I have is drawn from the specifications list and the Quick Start manual on the Pixii website. That's available to all, you should just go there and look at it, download it, if you're interested in learning about the camera.

... And from Stephen's impressions: Because I'm aware of Stephen's preferences through our long acquaintance, I can understand a good bit about the camera's feel and use from his impressions. (It's kinda like reading Jono Slack's review/impressions on a new Leica model ...) :)

G

Maybe its not DOA..
Kinda interesting actually..
Watch..after all my criticism..I actually get one...lol..
It would have to be good with wide angles though..

Electronic framelines, mechanical RF cam follower mates to the lens cam.

That is one of a kind then. If they develop the software that could let anyone tweak framelines for coverage. If they adjust for parallax that means there is a position sensor on the cam so they could adjust for frame sizing too. Has any M mount Leica done that?

Shawn

Its kind of like when the Leica M8 was first introduced. That was completely different and people who wanted to use it just had to adapt. ...

Thing is the M8 (and the RD-1) were the first of their kind, so it was a big deal that they just existed even though they were 'low' pixel count crop sensor cameras.
Then tech progressed, and the next Digital RF was FF and 18 mp. Then FF and 24. Now FF and 47-ish with the M10-R.

So after all that, in ways it seems a huge step back to the future to be at aps-c and 10mp again. Almost like de-evolving.

Tech has progressed with this camera, but in ways that perhaps are not what most people want. Still, if they can capture a buying audience, and one that meets their ability to survive, then good for them.

imo, this is probably the first CPM camera that's made it to market. it's the shape of cameras to come!

imagine what people would say if this was an SLR-style mirrorless camera. i'm glad that they started with a rangefinder, despite not being wide enough.

So after all that, in ways it seems a huge step back to the future to be at aps-c and 10mp again. Almost like de.

From a megapixel standpoint it is not up to current specs. But I don’t think any higher resolution still camera has a global shutter either. Sony’s don’t and they make sensors. So from that point PIXII are ahead of the crowd. When global shutter sensors become common there won’t be a need for a mechanical shutter. Other cameras need them to avoid rolling shutter problems, global shutters do not suffer that problem.

Shawn

Back