Pixii - Silent Global Shutter, 5 fps, 1/32,0000 top speed, 1/2000 sync - Advantages?

I think he was joking... have you ever seen one person say what he said?
I don't hang around the Leica threads or Leica forums, so I don't have my finger on the pulse of what Leica owners are saying. The Leica owners in this thread certainly don't have a problem with a crop sensor rangefinder that takes M-mount lenses, so it sounded plausible to me.

I'm kind of lagging here. However, is it correct that the 26MP PIXII does not have a global shutter? If so, it has a rolling shutter?

I really hope you see the irony in that sentence, Boojum? I've seen far more over-the-top rambling from the pro-Pixii camp than the anti. In fact, I don't think I've seen anything get as much rhapsodical (and untested) praise outside of politics. It's a bit weird, to say the least.

Personally, I've not waded in much on the Pixxi posts. I think it's cool. Interesting, even. And I like the photos I'm seeing out of it. But the one thing I can't get over is the "crop factor" for a lens mount with lenses designed for 35mm film. That's an insurmountable hurdle for me, just as it was with the M8.

As I've said elsewhere, I've got nothing against APS-C. I've got APS-C Fuji bodies I use for work without complaints. But they have lenses designed for that sensor size. I don't particularly want to be using my (frankly far too large) collection of 50mm lenses and getting a ~75mm equivalent out of them. It's just annoying, which is why I don't use them much on the X-mount bodies. Similarly, I don't want to go hunting for secondary viewfinders to use with super-wide lenses I already have viewfinders for, just because the sensor size is different.

That alone makes the Pixii a very limited option for me, and I think that's a valid viewpoint to have.

The irony was deliberate.

If there where APS-C lenses for M-Mount, I cant see myself ever buying them. Full frame M-glass on APS-C makes so much more sense imo.
It crops cut out the worst part of the lens, covers full frame if needed on another camera (native or adapted) and the FF M-glass is already small and compact.

just my 2c.

Same thing as back in the APS-C DSLR days. FF glass all the way for better IQ and future proofing.

Yes. I have two old Canon LTM's, 28 and 35 mm. They are tiny. And yes, the APS-C cuts out the good core of the lens leaving the vignetting behind, both pluses. These fellows at Pixii have given some serious thought to their "project."

I do not think, and I may be wrong, that the rolling shutter will be a problem in most cases. In a few, yes.

But remember that this is a software camera. No need for the engineers to devise some new mechanism. The need is for some really tight, fast code in there, maybe with a different sensor, and, presto, global shutter. From my perspective improvements are more achievable, or in current-speak, more do-able. We are talking about programming a computer here. That is the huge difference. I believe that a team of really smart French folks in the French watch making region have changed the camera business forever. It is 2022. The cellphone is a camera; the cellphone is a camera with interchangeable lenses.

It is the French who invented computers as we know them today with the automated knitting loom: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacquard_machine And the French are innovative: Citroën. We sometimes lose sight of that in our Anglophone vestige of the English Empire. When you open that cold one, thank a Frenchman. They invented canning and pasteurization. They did not invent French Fries, the Belgians did that.

Yes. I have two old Canon LTM's, 28 and 35 mm. They are tiny. And yes, the APS-C cuts out the good core of the lens leaving the vignetting behind, both pluses. These fellows at Pixii have given some serious thought to their "project."

It is just a guess, but I do not think they used an APSC sensor for that reason. It was clearly to keep the price lower.

I do not think, and I may be wrong, that the rolling shutter will be a problem in most cases. In a few, yes.

But remember that this is a software camera. No need for the engineers to devise some new mechanism. The need is for some really tight, fast code in there, maybe with a different sensor, and, presto, global shutter. From my perspective improvements are more achievable, or in current-speak, more do-able. We are talking about programming a computer here. That is the huge difference. I believe that a team of really smart French folks in the French watch making region have changed the camera business forever. It is 2022. The cellphone is a camera; the cellphone is a camera with interchangeable lenses.

It is the French who invented computers as we know them today with the automated knitting loom: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacquard_machine And the French are innovative: Citroën. We sometimes lose sight of that in our Anglophone vestige of the English Empire. When you open that cold one, thank a Frenchman. They invented canning and pasteurization. They did not invent French Fries, the Belgians did that.

It used to be Belgian fries...but when people started frying in vegetable oil(too much Omega 6) instead of tallow they renamed it French fries. An insult.

It is just a guess, but I do not think they used an APSC sensor for that reason. It was clearly to keep the price lower.

You are better versed than I.

However I'd bet a croissant that it came up in discussions as a plus and therefore a good thing. And even if it did not come up we still benefit.

It used to be Belgian fries...but when people started frying in vegetable oil(too much Omega 6) instead of tallow they renamed it French fries. An insult.

Animal fats, way better. Fish and chips. The suet black as tar, the fried fish and chips so damned good. And those pommes frites were wonderful, fried twice at different temps. The working man's lunch, small steak, fries and a tossed salad.

But it was cameras. LOL

For street photography, sports, kids, etc it has not been an issue for me. When taking a selfie in a buss window passing 1m in front of me was the first time I saw it.

If a Frenchman wanted to make watches he/her/him/they would go to Switzerland.

The Pixii is made in the watch center of France. It’s factory shares it’s building with a watch maker. It’s the same town where the micro brand Baltic makes their watches, which I coincidentally have been contemplating as a birthday present for myself.

The Pixii is made in the watch center of France. It’s factory shares it’s building with a watch maker. It’s the same town where the micro brand Baltic makes their watches, which I coincidentally have been contemplating as a birthday present for myself.

I hate to rain on your parade, but Baltic watches are assembled in France using Japanese movements in casework from Hong Kong.

I hate to rain on your parade,

Since what you say is common knowledge among us watch enthusiasts you haven’t rained on it, the parade passed a long time ago :)

Expecting Baltic to have an in house movement is like expecting Pixii to make a rangefinder from scratch and sell it for $200 ;)

Back