Pixii - Silent Global Shutter, 5 fps, 1/32,0000 top speed, 1/2000 sync - Advantages?

Since what you say is common knowledge among us watch enthusiasts you haven't rained on it, the parade passed a long time ago :)

boojum has spilled a lot of ink about all things French (le parade) in these Pixii threads, so I just wanted to make sure he didn't get led astray.

Expecting Baltic to have an in house movement is like expecting Pixii to make a rangefinder from scratch and sell it for $200 ;)

I am not among those who think the Pixii is overpriced for what it is. I just have no interest in buying one because the widest framelines are for 42mm. It will be perfect for others, particularly for Leica owners who already have a selection of M-mount lenses. But I do like to keep abreast of what is happening in the photography world so I read and participate in these types of threads.

boojum has spilled a lot of ink about all things French (le parade) in these Pixii threads, so I just wanted to make sure he didn't get led astray.

I am not among those who think the Pixii is overpriced for what it is. I just have no interest in buying one because the widest framelines are for 42mm. It will be perfect for others, particularly for Leica owners who already have a selection of M-mount lenses. But I do like to keep abreast of what is happening in the photography world so I read and participate in these types of threads.

You need only sweep the sidewalk in front of your home.

The Pixii is made in the watch center of France. It’s factory shares it’s building with a watch maker. It’s the same town where the micro brand Baltic makes their watches, which I coincidentally have been contemplating as a birthday present for myself.
Hey, those are great looking watches, and the Aquascaphe looks really good.

I hate to rain on your parade, but Baltic watches are assembled in France using Japanese movements in casework from Hong Kong.
Go to the website and inform yourself. The movement is Swiss.

Would you cite you source of information on the cases seeing as you are so well informed?

Last edited:
It should be obvious that the Pixii does not sync flash at 1/2000 or at any speed. That shoe is a cold shoe. I do not believe that electronic shutters can flash sync. The shutter speed is 2s to 1/32000.

Go to the website and inform yourself. The movement is Swiss.

Would you cite you source of information on the cases seeing as you are so well informed?
I took my information off the Baltic website. If you look at all the watches they offer, you'll find Swiss movements to be in the minority.

Here is what Baltic has to say in the About Us section of its website:

"We want to be transparent about our production, and avoid contributing to the ambiguity that has been the bane of the horology industry for over 20 years. We manufacture and assemble in three different regions:
  • In Hong Kong for the production of the majority of our components
  • In France for the assembly and adjustment of our watches and the production of straps
  • In Italy for our accessories line
Once the various components are manufactured, we send them to our atelier in Besançon, France to be assembled and adjusted. We are proud to partner with some of the best manufacturers in horology and to provide the best quality on the market at this price range."

So basically Baltic is being transparent and avoiding ambiguity, and you are making an argument based on the logical fallacy of incomplete evidence. What motivates you to do so?

Last edited:
Here is what constitutes a "Swiss" watch..
I couldnt find any info on what constitutes..a France made watch though..maybe its similar..

Accordingly, there are two conditions that must be fulfilled for goods to be legally labelled as being of Swiss origin:

• The Swiss portion of the production cost must be at least 50 percent (until 1 January 2017, then 60 percent[2]).
  • The most important part of the manufacturing process must have taken place in Switzerland.
The "most important part of the manufacturing process" is that part of the process that results in a completely new product. The determining factor here is that the original characteristics of the goods are lost through the manufacturing process, and the possible application of the goods is different from that of the basic materials of foreign origin used in their manufacture. In addition, the origin of goods is determined by the place where they are produced, not by where the idea for producing these goods was conceived. A product manufactured in Switzerland under a foreign license will still be Swiss in origin, while a product manufactured abroad using Swiss recipes or Swiss methods will still be foreign in origin

Here is what Baltic has to say in the About Us section of its website:

"We want to be transparent about our production, and avoid contributing to the ambiguity that has been the bane of the horology industry for over 20 years. We manufacture and assemble in three different regions:
  • In Hong Kong for the production of the majority of our components
  • In France for the assembly and adjustment of our watches and the production of straps
  • In Italy for our accessories line
Once the various components are manufactured, we send them to our atelier in Besançon, France to be assembled and adjusted. We are proud to partner with some of the best manufacturers in horology and to provide the best quality on the market at this price range."

So basically Baltic is being transparent and avoiding ambiguity, and you are making an argument based on the logical fallacy of incomplete evidence. What motivates you to do so?
The one I bought has a Swiss movement. I would wager that fits the 60% rule to male it "Swiss." It's a draw, you are right, I am right.

The one I bought has a Swiss movement. I would wager that fits the 60% rule to male it "Swiss." It's a draw, you are right, I am right.
I have no idea if your watch is a "Swiss watch" or not. If that is important to you, wager away. I thought you wanted a French watch, being a Francophile and all.

It should be obvious that the Pixii does not sync flash at 1/2000 or at any speed. That shoe is a cold shoe. I do not believe that electronic shutters can flash sync. The shutter speed is 2s to 1/32000.
Some non-global electronic shutters can flash sync but I think the sync speed is typically at/below the scanning time which means the flash sync is a very low speed. My Pentax Q can flash sync up to 1/2000 of a second with the built in flash with the leaf shutter lenses. With the lenses without a leaf shutter the camera uses an electronic shutter and flash sync speed is about 1/13 of a second. That is a tiny sensor though, might not exist with larger non-global electronic shutters.

Some non-global electronic shutters can flash sync but I think the sync speed is typically at/below the scanning time which means the flash sync is a very low speed. My Pentax Q can flash sync up to 1/2000 of a second with the built in flash with the leaf shutter lenses. With the lenses without a leaf shutter the camera uses an electronic shutter and flash sync speed is about 1/13 of a second. That is a tiny sensor though, might not exist with larger non-global electronic shutters.
Yes, I have the same sync speed with a leaf shutter camera I have. But I rarely use flash. But it is there if I need it.

Back