Pixii vs RD1 vs M8 / 8.2

Curious that Zeiss hasn't got the ZX1 into production or onto the market yet. I wonder if something like that is going on with that camera.

My guess is that Zeiss listened to the roar of mockery that floated up from the crowd at their original preview and decided that discretion was the better part of valor/business smarts, and shelved it.
I thought it was a design with some merits, not the least of which was likely to be the lens and processing integration, but was in a distinct minority. Will be surprised if the accountants at Zeiss let this one proceed.

Cameras are never an investment, film Leicas, Fuji and Hasselbkads excepted.

I don't know that I'd make exceptions for them either. Cameras are tools, equipment, capital acquisitions to do work with that you depreciate over time.

This is beyond their additional role as potential collectibles.

G

A friend has a years old Samsung P&S that will do FB and web browsing. I guess you could do phone calls via Skype. It's died on her one time and she paid dearly to get it fixed, as a FB addict it was money well spent in her opinion.

Errrr.......

Errrr.......

Fuji seems to be the absolute worst "Investment" camera. They continue to drop the price of new ones making selling a used one a giveaway for all intents.

Fuji seems to be the absolute worst "Investment" camera. They continue to drop the price of new ones making selling a used one a giveaway for all intents.

Wasn’t referring to digitals. Only film. Have you looked at what a GF670 sells for these days?

Haven’t bought a brand new digital camera since the Nikon D700.

I bought my digital cameras all as used cameras. Same applies to my film cameras, but these seem to have appreciated in value. (Leica Standard, IIIf, M3, M; Hasselblad SWC). My Fuji BL690 and GL690 may have dropped in value. Not so sure about the Graflex XLSW.

Only slightly off-topic, gentlemen: I wish that who wrote the jpeg engine for the iPhone (since iPhone 7+) would make that available to Fuji and Nikon. If I underexpose by .7 - 1.5 of stop, beautiful.

Pixii looks foolish if all parts considered. Who will service? (Rhetorical question...)

Ciao,
Mme. O

12mp doesn't stop me, APS-c doesn't stop me, lack of an LCD on the back doesn't stop me. What stops me is having to use the phone for an interface. Every phone app system I've used, back up camera on my motorhome, remote interface to my RV systems and a few others I can't remember off the top of what's left of my head have all been at best quirky and at worst non functional. Give us a standard interface directly to a computer and a more modern sensor and we might be able to talk.

Good news is that you don't need a smartphone, the app is just an option to preview the pictures, you can control the camera with its own lcd screen and use a computer to download the pictures.

Quote from the quickstart guide:
"Note: your images are always immediately
and safely stored in the internal memory of
the camera. Your Pixii camera does NOT
require a phone to take pictures."

It's even lacking a physical shutter. The placement of the shutter button is weird too.

For ~$3200 it's...I don't know what its merit is other than not being a Leica.

It's almost two years now since a quibble was posted by a non-owner.

FWIW mine works fine without the Android app running. Yes, the shutter release button could be better placed. I would suggest that the camera top screen be on the other side of the shoe and then the shutter button moved more toward the center of the camera top. Let's face it, the M series controls are very well laid out. And while they are screwing around with the camera top screen put in the daylight readable OLED screen. I think I have that right.

The camera is not perfect. It could write faster. The WiFi is flaky. Pixii knows this and has this at the top of their "To Do" list. And I would like to point out to the Leica fanboys that the M8, M8.2 and M9 all had their problems. The M240 was the first really stable Leitz digital. Let's keep this in perspective. And do not lose sight of the fact that Leitz has been building cameras for about a century now. The electronics could have been, should have been, subbed out as the Wetzalr Wizards came away embarrassed again and again and dealt with the customers shabbily.

So I would say that Pixii, on balance, is doing pretty well. Despite its teething problems it produces good images, its primary goal, the primary goal of any camera. So the number one objective has been achieved. The rest will come in time as the software is tightened and tuned.

I like mine and am keeping it.

As to the thread title, I will be taking my M8.2 and Pixii out to test them side by side as well as I can to see how they do. Lenses will likely be the Canon 28 and 35 mm and the Cooke Amotal 2". All I need is some sunshine.

Back