Plaubel Makina 67

chrisa

Local time
8:29 PM
Hello everyone.

I just received my first makina which I am super excited to test out.

But trying to load the film seems so hard.

The film spool rod will only lock in if inhold down the film in place.

Then when winding it seems very tough to wind on to empty spool. Once the back is down it seems smoother.

Is this normal?

I would almost say the film tension pads seem tight on the roll but really I am not a technician or even close to being an expert.

The camera is in mint condition otherwise.

Any experienced help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to either keep or send back asap.

Thank you

I just started shooting mine last month. The advance lever does feel pretty tight but just as about the same tension as felt on my Pentax 67. The negative spacings look good to me, however, so I'm not concerned.

Yes Chrisa, the fitting of the film in to the back sounds pretty normal. The Makina has tighter tolerances there than a Rolleiflex for example. The top spool teeth on my 670 are hard to hand turn too.
The 670 winding mechanism is somewhat different so i can't comment on that.

A bit of hearsay, as I have no personal experiences with the camera:
Everybody I know who owned this camera loved it and the results they got! And just about everybody appeared to be frustrated by its frequent need for service.
Before buying this camera, you need to know where you would comfortably send it for service because sooner or later you will have to send it in.
If you are not confident it is working as it should, it is likely in need of service - because it should feel great to use.

I see

I am comparing against my mamiya 7 which seems silky smooth.

The makina just seems so tough to wind hahah

Are all the models similar?

Thank you so much for the info. I feel a little better knowing it's not just my camera. I would hate to send it back but I dont want to have to shell out tons of cash just for a fix.

Well there is a place in ny thats pretty well known for plaubel repairs etc.

The camera itself works great, be it a bit tough to load film.

I am sure it will need a cla at some point but I would at least like to try a few rolls through it before that.

A bit of hearsay, as I have no personal experiences with the camera:
Everybody I know who owned this camera loved it and the results they got! And just about everybody appeared to be frustrated by its frequent need for service.
Before buying this camera, you need to know where you would comfortably send it for service because sooner or later you will have to send it in.
If you are not confident it is working as it should, it is likely in need of service - because it should feel great to use.

That is a bit of hearsay. I've owned three over the decades (used for approximately a total of 5 years) and none required service. A photographer friend of mine just sold his 67 and he had bought it new in the mid '80s and used it hard as a pro. The meter wires broke once but he was able to have them repaired. A pretty reasonable repair history for 35 yrs of use.

That is a bit of hearsay. I've owned three over the decades (used for approximately a total of 5 years) and none required service. A photographer friend of mine just sold his 67 and he had bought it new in the mid '80s and used it hard as a pro. The metetr wires broke once but he was able to have them repaired. A pretty reasonable repair history for 35 yrs of use.
I agree. It sounds reasonable.
However, I clearly stated it is not my personal experience, just like your friend is not your experience. Put whatever importance on this as you want. I play with open cards.

I agree. It sounds reasonable.
However, I clearly stated it is not my personal experience, just like your friend is not your experience. Put whatever importance on this as you want. I play with open cards.

True, but i have seen and handled my friend's camera... & none of my 3 needed service. Shall we nitpick some more?

Yes, it is the same on my Makina 67. It happens in particular with Kodak rolls, for some reason. I put in the roll, I need to hold down the bottom part for it to click into place. Then, as I pull out the leader to insert it into the take up spool, I feel some resistance.

After the leader is inserted into the take up spool, and I start winding it, I keep a finger on the take up spool. It becomes smoother from then on.

Enjoy! Take your time inserting the roll and try not to hurry. As you get used to it, you'll find your self loading the camera faster and faster.

The film spool rod will only lock in if inhold down the film in place.

Then when winding it seems very tough to wind on to empty spool. Once the back is down it seems smoother.

Is this normal?

I use a 670 and W67 and they both require pushing down on the film for the spool rod to engage, which is normal. There should be tension when winding on to the empty spool but it's hard to know what "very tough" is and whether your camera is too tight. My Makinas do wind on the film with more resistance than other cameras for what it's worth.

I had both of mine serviced btw. One had a routine CLA when it needed its foam light seals replaced, and the other had a disaster-check CLA after I dropped it. (It was fine, still in proper alignment.) When the cameras returned there was no change in film loading or tension.

Congrats on your new camera!

You want that tension in there because if the film winds on too loosely, it can jam up towards the end.
Just wind it steadily, and don't let the arm spring back, and the mechanism should last a long time.

I am comparing against my Mamiya 7 which seems silky smooth. The Makina just seems so tough to wind ... Are all the models similar?
Winding will get tough whenever the film — or its backing paper — doesn't sit perfectly straight on the take-up spool when loading. And yes — it does take some serious finger fiddling to keep the backing paper's tip from slipping the spool's slot while winding the first turn and to keep it perpendicularly aligned on the spool at the same time.

And while we're at it: Do you own the N 80 mm 1:4 L lens for your Mamiya 7? If so, would you please drop a line or two on your impressions of how the Mamiya's N 80 mm L lens compares to the Makina's Nikkor 80 mm lens in terms of sharpness, bokeh, and overall appearance of rendition? Some say the Mamiya lens was sharper but the Makina lens was nicer. What's your say?

Do you own the N 80 mm 1:4 L lens for your Mamiya 7? If so, would you please drop a line or two on your impressions of how the Mamiya's N 80 mm L lens compares to the Makina's Nikkor 80 mm lens in terms of sharpness, bokeh, and overall appearance of rendition? Some say the Mamiya lens was sharper but the Makina lens was nicer. What's your say?

I have owned both and I agree with that. The Nikkor is an older design and has a bit more character. The Mamiya 80/4 performs incredibly well even wide open, while the Nikkor is just a little softer at f/2.8 (but not much). By f/8 I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference. By comparison, the newer Fuji GF670 lens is the most modern, sharp, and boring (just my opinion) of the three. I will also add that these cameras all handle pretty differently; the Mamiya is the best and has the advantage of interchangeable lenses, but also the least portable.

Just to add, the Makina advance does feel a little stiffer to load than the Mamiya 7. I think what you're describing is normal. My Makina's nickname is "the money pit."

Hi all! Contemplating getting a Makina 67 as a first (and hopefully last!) real medium format setup, but am somewhat deterred by reports about maintenance! Where have you had the camera CLA'd, and does it tend to be pricey?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all! Contemplating getting a Makina 67 as a first (and hopefully last!) real medium format setup, but am somewhat deterred by reports about maintenance! Where have you had the camera CLA'd, and does it tend to be pricey?

Thanks in advance!

East Village, I've had 3 of them at different times and have never needed to get one serviced. As a matter of fact i was out in the mountains with my 670 yesterday. Check this video (in japanese) a well known japanese street photographer (Kanemura, Osamu) Very modest...owns only the one camera.....shoots until the shutter needs servicing. Gets it serviced & then it's back to work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzkuJnqgsqM
Since you're in California, check with the boss at Cameraquest if they'd service it....otherwise i might try Precision Camera in Austin.

51288926220_b1e9e1547c_z.jpg
Print from yesterday in Wilf Carter's "Beautiful Yoho Valley"

Thanks in advance!

Prices are increasing rapidly for these cameras. If you want a Makina and can afford it, just get it now and stop worrying about service costs. If you wait another year you'll pay more for the camera, probably equalling the cost of its first service. So my advice is to get it now while they're "cheap", have it serviced, and enjoy.

Back