Post Yer Pinholes!

Great images, Kevin. My first camera was an Agfa Clack, a great little camera. I've often thought of getting another one for reasons of nostalgia.

Here is my WWPD entry for this year, an old country cemetery now with a busy freeway beside it. I made the camera to take 5x12 inch dental x-ray film a friend gave me. To prevent light falloff at the ends I decided on a curved film plane. And because any tilting of the camera causes the horizon line to curve, I added 15mm rise and fall to the pinhole mount.

0.5mm pinhole, 130mm from film plane, f/260. Kodak Panoramic Dental Film film developed in Pyrocat HD.

Attachments

• Country Cemetery pslr web copy.jpg
    Country Cemetery pslr web copy.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 5x12 camera web copy.jpg
    5x12 camera web copy.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 0
Hi Kevin, thanks for the comment. Dental panoramic film comes in sheets. These are 5x12 inches and my batch expired in 2009. It appears that the current replacement for this film from both Kodak and others is 6x12 inches. For me 5x12 is great because it cuts down to 3 sheets of 4x5 with only two cuts so I can use it in my view camera and 4x5 pinhole when I make it.

I've found it a dream to use. It's the only x-ray film I've used but I haven't had any contrast issues that people have reported with some other types of x-ray film. It's double sided, having emulsion on both sides and therefore twice the potential problem of scratching. But I handle it very carefully and develop it on sheets of glass in the bottom of my trays, with little problem.

It's orthochromatic so doesn't see red light and can therefore be loaded and developed under red safelight. I rate it at ISO 80 and develop it in any standard developer with times typical for similarly rated b&w film; for example 8 min in PMK 1+2+100, 12 min in Pyrocat HD 1+1+100, and a friend of mine uses Rodinal 1+50 for 7 min.

Some people use bleach to strip the emulsion from one side of double sided x-ray film, but I don't, and couldn't imagine anything more messy to try. The practice seems to be going out of fashion as there seems to be little gain in sharpness. Later today I'll dig out a 4x5 neg on this film and scan it so you can judge its tonal qualities and sharpness in a lens camera.

This is basically a straight scan from a piece of Kodak Dental Panoramic x-ray film cut down to 4x5. Test shot rated at ISO 50 developed in PMK 8 min at 20 degrees C, pretty much spot-on for both exposure and development. As I don't have a 4x5 scanner this is a stitched image of two scans made on an Epson V600 and joined in PS. The image was sharpened a little as the neg had to be placed flat on the glass. No other adjustments to exposure, contrast etc.

Attachments

• Ute xray stitched lr.jpg
    Ute xray stitched lr.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 0
A good few months without using the pinhole but I had a great day out at Stowe. Temple of the Ancient Virtues.

ancientvirtues2-1-of-1.jpg

I love this 11mm equivalent pinhole, the perspective distortion is wondrous, the more so when really close up - about a foot in this case. 1938 Ford Flathead V8 85 truck.

flatheadtruck-1-of-1.jpg

Great image, Charles; love the close-in perspective. When you say 11mm equivalent is that relative to 35mm format? Also can you tell me what the pinhole diameter is and distance from the film plane? Thanks.

Hi Barry - it's 37mm on 4x5, so the chap who made it said it was about a focal length of 11mm in 35mm equivalent. Pinhole size is 0.22 mm and distance is about 30mm to film plane (my accuracy of measurement is likely to be low).

My latest pinhole camera. Size 5x7, pinhole-film distance 100mm, pinhole size 0.4mm, speed f/250. The camera resulted from some scraps of White Cypress decking timber that I couldn't bear to see thrown out. I mounted the pinhole on a movable panel that allows +/- 25mm shift, most useful in vertical compositions. Full rise was used in both of these pics. Film was cut down Kodak 5x12 dental panorama x-ray film (exp. 2009) developed in Pyrocat HD. I still have work to do to tame the contrast of this film, but I do like it all the same.

Attachments

• Tree, Djerriwarrh Creek copy.jpg
    Tree, Djerriwarrh Creek copy.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Sandstone Bridge, Djerriwarrh Creek copy.jpg
    Sandstone Bridge, Djerriwarrh Creek copy.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 5x7 Pinhole 2 copy.jpg
    5x7 Pinhole 2 copy.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
My contribution to World Wide Pinhole Photography Day 2020. Same camera and film as post above but developed in D-76 for 8min. I rate this film at ISO 100 and find it very forgiving. Exposure was 8min20sec under window light from overcast sky.

Attachments

• WWPD20 2a 500px.jpg
    WWPD20 2a 500px.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 0
My contribution to World Wide Pinhole Photography Day 2020. Same camera and film as post above but developed in D-76 for 8min. I rate this film at ISO 100 and find it very forgiving. Exposure was 8min20sec under window light from overcast sky.

Nice one, Barry. There's a touch of 'Josef Sudek' about that one! :)

Red Gum trees and waterside rushes, 2015. Efke 2x3 sheet film developed in PMK. Camera has 0.2mm pinhole at 36mm from film plane.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Reeds & Red Gum 5x7683 RFF.jpg
    Reeds & Red Gum 5x7683 RFF.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 2x3 Pinhole RFF.jpg
    2x3 Pinhole RFF.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 1
Back