Pretty cameras

Roger Hicks

Mentor
Local time
4:07 PM
Most of us agree that function takes precedence over appearance, but isn't there also a pleasure in using cameras that look good? Black paint; Retina folders; mahogany Gandolfis...

What are your favourites among mainstream usable cameras for looks? And what about cameras of marginal utility but handsome appearance (e.g. Ilford Advocate, Olympus Ecru, Kodak Bantam Special)?

Tashi delek.

R.

I loved the looks of my Wisner 810 Technical Field, but function took over and I traded it for a Canham. My arthritic grip couldn't deal with the round lock knobs anymore. Thanks Keith for making a field camera with paddle shaped lock knobs!!

The Werras are indeed beautiful. Also the Steinheil Casca, and the Kodak Ektra.

For user cameras, absolutely the Leicas! In the digital realm I think the Pany LX3 and new Pen are very nice (I have the Pany), and the R-D1 of course.

I also love the look of the very small SLR's of the seventies and eighties, like the OM and ME Super. And i think the new Pentax DSLR looks great--my favorite-looking DSLR yet (save perhaps for the Pany DMC-L1).

0757_2_lg.jpg

Ektra.jpg

3754414683_f9c70fab86.jpg

Last edited:
The Retina Ia/IIa but the IIc just handles better for me and has the much better VF.
Then the Super Ikonta/Moskva 4...
Wonderful futuristic design the second Weltini RF with the retractable shutter release button!
A smart little machine: the pentax auto 110
Simple lines: The Nikon FM
The Bessa R & R2: I bought the R2 because I liked the R's design and wanted to have it made in metall.
The Zenit C: If only it's 3,5/50mm lens had clickstops. Designwise great (jus add a prism and a mirror to the Zorki 1.....were the guys in Wetzlar sleeping?) If you put a Helios 58/2 lens on it you just damage this compact design.....but you at least don't have to take the camera from your eye to change the aperture!
The Contaflexes: cute and functional little machines.
The AGFA 35mm TLR's from the 50's/60's Was there a mix up of blueprints when they started to make them?
Then cameras I find strange but appealing (not enough to buy them):
The Kodak 35 RF
The Werra
Kodak Boxes and Agfa Billys with Art Deco Frontplates.

Last edited:
how about the SWC and Minox?

how about the SWC and Minox?

I don't recognize all the names and camera types mentioned so far, but would like to nominate the Hasselblad SWC and the Minox. There's also a Linhof rangefinder model I like, with built-in handgrip, but I can't find a photo.

Greetings from Hamburg

Rick

I love the looks of my Agfa Super Silette even though I can't exactly pinpoint why, possibly the two symmetrical vf/rf windows and the overall proportions of its body.

The Vito B is also a beautiful camera, especially when you have one in your hands and realize how small, heavy, and perfectly machined it is.

And of course the Canon RFs, I think they're much better looking than Leicas. My IIF:

Purma Special
Minox
Bell Kamra
Haneel Tri-Vision
Rectaflex
* Braun Super Paxette
* Agfa Karat IV

* Two of my favorites, and yes, I own several of each.

WTF?!? That camera is insane!

But if you doubt that you can get a real top speed of 1/500 (I don't have any pics from my Special handy, so I've used this one from my Plus, which has a faster top speed) from that shutter, look here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/2473810732/in/photostream

I'll second all the votes for Werra - both the flat-top and the late models are very sexy. And I adore the mad French Bakelite cameras of the 1950s like the Ultrafex Himalaya and the Photax blindee.

Adrian

PS Looks-wise, though, the Purma Plus is a bit of a beagle, and it's truly horrid to use...

There are lots of pretty cameras that are fun to use, and quite a few ugly ones. The dividing line is not too wide. Compare a Nikon F3HP with a Nikon F3AF, or a Nikon F eye-level with a Nikon F Photomic.

But nothing is as ugly as my Nikon E3 digital camera. Full-frame digital usinf built in reduction optics on a 2/3" sensor. Well, maybe a Nikon F with the Speed-Magny 100 on it comes close.

Looks: ten; dance: three.

Looks: ten; dance: three.

This kind of thread is great fun. It's like, "Who's your favorite movie star", regardless of acting ability and knowing that you'll probably never get close to meeting her. Here are some of my candidates, mostly old mid-20th c. chestnuts:

Leica M3 SS PV ST
Leica IIIF ST
Konica IIIa
Rolleiflex 2.8F
Voigtlander Vitessa A
Zeiss Super Ikonta A
Audrey Hepburn

All with functionally articulated, analogue design. Some dance as well as they look. Question: does the MOMA design collection include any cameras?

Neat , rather than pretty - My twin Leica IIs black and nickel , a Minolta SRT in black - less agricultural than Nikon and Canon [ OOPs ! ] ... Olympus FT . [ don't have this one ]

Lots of cameras look good (or, maybe just "cool") in a purposeful/functional sense, even ugly ones like my beat-up black Contax G2:

Really pretty cameras that I have include the Canon P (which I seem not to have a photo of);

the Konica Auto S3:

and the Contax T2:

And, when I'm up to it, the pretty cameras can take a decent photo (so can some of the ugly ones).

...Mike

Back