Quantifying the 75/1.8 Heliar performance

Voigtlander 75mm f1.8 Heliar Classic VM lens, Sony A7II
Yokohama, Japan - Friday, May 8, 2015

It's the end of an era!

DSC02278.JPG

Mike

I love this last shot with the fantastic painting by Modigliani in the background. Please post it in the "Portraits" thread that I started in de WNW-thread.

Erik.

Sad to hear if this lens is discontinued. Had one for a while on M8 and liked results, but it was just too heavy as a travel lens I was needing it mainly. Voigtlander f2.5 is better for traveling.

I love this last shot with the fantastic painting by Modigliani in the background. Please post it in the "Portraits" thread that I started in de WNW-thread.

Erik.

Thanks Eric I have done this and also taken the opportunity to post s few more in my collection of candid portraits as well.

It's nice to see this thread and appreciation an nice images coming from people here with this lens!

46568594865_d726a9ee97_o.jpg

MM CV 75mm f 1.8

Nice samples, all! Fond of this lens, and not too long a focal length on full-frame for general walk-around. Here are a few shots with this 1.8/75mm Heliar...

U77I1324972920.SEQ.0.jpg

M9

A favorite tree in Honokowai, Maui
U77I1329542703.SEQ.0.jpg

M9

Jewelry booth in Princeville, Kauai
U77I1432277821.SEQ.1.jpg

M240

Central Washington apples dropping
U77I1451798362.SEQ.2.jpg

M240

Antique Sky, Central Washington
U77I1452063306.SEQ.2.jpg

M240

Cat on the rocks, Lihue, Kauai
U77I1521352322.SEQ.3.jpg

MD262

Tired shoppers? Lahaina, Maui
U77I1522389905.SEQ.2.jpg

MD262

Great pictures in this thread!

I've been thinking about picking up this lens for a while as a companion to the 40mm 1.4 Classic on my R3m for a while. Then I impulse-jumped on it when I heard it was being discontinued. It's not nearly as compact as the 40 but it's been a while since I've shot streets on anything longer than a 50 and the extra reach is a lot of fun! Looking forward to getting to know this one :D

Bushwick%20May2.jpg

_200503_1150_019.jpg

by ASA 32, on Flickr

Have been GAS-ing for the newly released Voigtlander 75, but having shot some over the weekend with the Heliar, I'm not so GAS-ed right now.
Leica M 262, CV 75mm Heliar f/1.8, ISO 200, f/4 (?), 1/250 sec.

A few more made with the Vogtlander 75mm f1.8. I do think that 75mm is about the "sweet spot" in focal length for me. And the Voigtlander is excellent for portrait work.

Cafe Colombia - Adelaide Central Market 5 by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Cafe Colombia - Adelaide Central Market by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Church by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Cafe Study 15 - Reworked and Reimagined by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Victoria Harbour - old and new by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Candid Portrait of a Stranger by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Casual Portrait in Monochrome by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

It's fun see these most recent additions with revived interest in the f 1.8 now that there's a newer kid on the block. Also seeing Roland's tests at the top, I got to be impressed all over again.

Peter, your Cafe Study 15 and Church and Harbour images here are particularly nice,not to diminish the portraits either.

Asa32 Great shot of the, I want to say Aussie, but____?

David

It's fun see these most recent additions with revived interest in the f 1.8 now that there's a newer kid on the block. Also seeing Roland's tests at the top, I got to be impressed all over again.

Peter, your Cafe Study 15 and Church and Harbour images here are particularly nice,not to diminish the portraits either.

David

Thanks DwF they are two of my favorite shots too.

As to Asa32's image of the dog it looks to me a little like a cross between a Border Collie and a Kelpie. Both lovely intelligent working dogs in their own right and a popular cross. Or maybe its a straight Border Collie. Hard for me to tell.

You're welcome. I thought about border collie (seems a good guess looking again) but his/her muzzle seemed a bit less pointy than border collies I have known. And the one Kelpie that I have been around looks different to me.

Hopefully ASA32 will come back with the 411 on his four-legged ISO!

David

David

Yep, he’s an Aussie. Tucker is an older boy now, but here he is doing his thing eight years ago:

Tucker
by ASA 32, on Flickr

Back