R-D1s in 2020 ?

pr1uk2

Local time
3:00 AM
Hi,
Just like to say hi,
Am I mad I have just bought a R-D1s with a Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 lens from a UK seller at a price I felt was a good one, compared to Japan prices anyway.
Have always wanted to try one of these cameras, but am I mad buying one in 2020 ?

If the battery is still good and the sensor isn't full of dead pixels, I think it's still a very capable camera today. I still like it better than the Leica M-E I bought to replace it.

Still got my RD1 and I’ll be hanging onto it. A digital camera with analog feel. I have CV15, CV28 3.5, 7artisans 35/2 and chrome Jupiter 8.
Enjoy your new toy!

Paul

At very beginning the sensor crop factor was wasteful on expensive RF lenses and sensor itself was already old.
The only new in 2020 is vintage screen. :)

You might be a little bit mad. ;-) However, they're great cameras. Over the past few weeks I've been printing some images I took with mine back in 2005. The prints look great, even at 6MP.

Love my R-D1! But I would never pay those asking prices you see, I got lucky and took a chance one on listed as untested because the seller had no battery/charger, a $200 gamble that paid off.

Well mine arrived early this morning and what a great feeling camera beautiful design and feel and like others cocking the shutter feels so wonderful. Found my way round the camera very easily and tried a few shots all working as it should, so got a good one. Also I bought from a UK seller with the lens and did not pay the silly Japan prices you see on eBay. When weather brighten ups I will venture out and take a few more shots.
Was I mad well so far, I don't think so

Congrats, it still is(and always will be IMO) a great camera.

One of my former department bosses just returned from Japan, I wish I had known ahead of time as I would have asked him to check out the shops for an X to round out the trio.

Hi,
Just like to say hi,
Am I mad I have just bought a R-D1s with a Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 lens from a UK seller at a price I felt was a good one, compared to Japan prices anyway.
Have always wanted to try one of these cameras, but am I mad buying one in 2020 ?

If you are okay with 6mp and the 2gb size limit on memory cards (except on the R-D1x) then why not? The biggest irritant is likely to be batteries — the third-party batteries still available just don’t have anywhere near the capacity of the original Epson battery.

Somebody told me a while back that original Epson batteries are still available in Japan because of the relative longevity of the R-D1x. Any Japan-based readers who can confirm or deny?

PS — price is not an issue for me because I bought mine when they first became available and have kept it ever since. Amortization is your friend!

Somebody told me a while back that original Epson batteries are still available in Japan because of the relative longevity of the R-D1x. Any Japan-based readers who can confirm or deny?

EDIT: This isn't true. Just looking around a bit online, all the OEM batteries you can get in Japan are used and any new ones are third-party.

A: It's a damn fun camera to shoot. B: Though somewhat limited by today's standards it is still a very capable camera with a somewhat unique rendering. C: Every day it is getting rarer and rarer, it should be an investment soon. D: See A.

Its not just print, but also hi-res TV and monitors that are used for viewing. Me think 6mp today is too low. My M8's 10mp also.

In 4K screens and above, these old files have to be stretched to cover the whole screen. This does not result noticeable loss in quality?

well 4k is 8megapixels.. but format of sensor have different ratio -its not wide as 4k screen-so I guess since you will use not full width you use around 6mpix-

Back