Raid's 35/40mm flare test: Analysis

Marc-A. said:
It seems to me that there are less differences between 35mm lenses than between 50mm lenses. Am I wrong? If we put aside the early Leitz lenses (Elmar and Summaron SM), and the Canon 1.8 & 2, I can't see huge differences. As to sharpness and flare control, the CV lenses appear to be outstanding performers for the price: the Nokton 40 (any version) seems one of the very best, as does the CV PII, and the Skopar Classic 2.5 seems a bit superior to the Ultron 1.7. Would you agree?
I'm not particularly impressed by Leitz lenses, except for the Summilux 1.4 which is the best one.

Marc: We don't have in the test the fourth version Summicron and also not the Summicron ASPH. The CV lenses came to me mainly like new in the box [which looks brand new]. Several of the Leitz lenses here are old.

Raid

A big thank you to Raid and Roland. You guys have put a tonne of work into this. And the results are very interesting. Is there any explanation for the very different performance of the Canon 35/1.5 with the light bulb and with the candles? Is the difference simply due to the sizes and shapes of the different light sources? Both seem to be relatively centered in the frame.

raid said:
Marc: We don't have in the test the fourth version Summicron and also not the Summicron ASPH. The CV lenses came to me mainly like new in the box [which looks brand new]. Several of the Leitz lenses here are old.

Raid

Good point Raid. But at this stage, my conclusion is that there are a lot a very good to excellent 35mm lenses. Even if the CV are like new, and even if Leitz lenses are pretty old, I still stick to my remark: CV lenses are amazing (I should add this information in order to explain my interest in the CV lenses performance: I just order a Skopar Classic from Stephen Gandy ... and I'm eager to test it! :) ).
I'm looking forward to the Summicron ASPH test; but that Summilux is really impressive.
Best,
Marc

Roland, thanks for the clippings! High-mag detail can be enjoyed without the bandwidth burden.

Raid, thanks again for the work! The test scene reveals many optical properties.

One technical observation: I notice there are variations in focus between lenses. For a given lens, the exact plane is suggested by the sharpness of detail in the table cloth. This has less effect on our conclusions about flare and bokeh, but more effect on sharpness and contrast of particular items that we presume are in focus (e.g. DVD box).

Rico: I did my best to focus correctly on the match stick. Errors are always possible.

Raid

The CV 40s seems to be focused well behind the book - look at the crystal. Having had (and kept) a few CV lenses, I know the fault might be with them rather than the operator.

I did a focus test when I tested the 50mm lenses, and not a single lens was off target. This time, Roland and I agreed not to waste time on a focus test. For the flare test it is not as important, but with the portrait test it would be important that the focus be right. I hope that it was me and not the CV lens that was off.

Raid

I think the focus is OK, Raid. The text I show is slightly in front
of the focal plane (the matchstick) and slightly out of focus.
Even at the same f stop some lenses have thinner DOF than
others.

Also, check the DOF marks on the 40 Nokton. The lens is extremely
short throw, there is no mark for f2 or f1.4 (like on the typical
50mm lens). So focus errors can happen easily.

Roland.

R&R you guys rock! (well you ARE "R'n'R after all!) ;-)

Really interesting comparison. Amazing that you could do it and wonderful that you did it so well.

I like my CV lenses more and more as I use them and more and more as I see test results like these. I think Mr. K has done an amazing thing with these new lenses and i for one am grateful!

great work all around.

Joe Mondello said:
R&R you guys rock! (well you ARE "R'n'R after all!) ;-)

Really interesting comparison. Amazing that you could do it and wonderful that you did it so well.

I like my CV lenses more and more as I use them and more and more as I see test results like these. I think Mr. K has done an amazing thing with these new lenses and i for one am grateful!

great work all around.

Thanks, Joe. Both Roland and I have done similar lens testing before, and most of what is need is a sense for details and keeping order when doing such testing. Mr. K should send a couple of free lenses to me and Roland! Sales will go up.

Raid

I have now uploaded 24 images to Roland's smugmug site for his further refining of the results. It is my daughter Dana sitting in her room beside the window. I used Fuji NPS160.The window light sometimes changed suddenly, so bear with me. Here is one shot by a certain Canon 35mm lens.

Raid

Rollei%20Sonnar%2040mm%202.8%20%40%202.8-X2.jpg

Thanks again for all this work guys.

Raid, did I see in another post that the light was somewhat variable in the portrait shots? sun/clouds perhaps?

I have uploaded all portrait images. Coming weekend if the weather allows it, I will wrap things up with a bokeh test.

I got an idea a few minutes ago; film and developing and scanning is costly for such tests. Maybe the local Ritz Camera store can be convinced to sponsor me in return for me mentioning that Ritz did the scanning? Is this "kosher" here?

Raid

like2fiddle said:
Thanks again for all this work guys.

Raid, did I see in another post that the light was somewhat variable in the portrait shots? sun/clouds perhaps?

Roger,

It was hard enough to keep Dana still on the chair, and if I had each frame taken another meter reading, it would have been useless. Still, images came out beautiful.

A lens that may have been not doing great in the flare test still may be great for a portrait, so give lenses a chance ... and don't go by brand names.

Raid

raid said:
Roger,

It was hard enough to keep Dana still on the chair, and if I had each frame taken another meter reading, it would have been useless. Still, images came out beautiful.

A lens that may have been not doing great in the flare test still may be great for a portrait, so give lenses a chance ... and don't go by brand names.

Raid

Hi Raid,

It seems that for instance the Elmar is still having trouble with the light/flare, even with these portraits. I would be interested to see what this lens could do with a hood. Could it then keep up with the rest or not? Not to frustrate your test setup. But if you have some time/frames available..

Thanx again for your efforts. It is really educational.

Roel

Roel,

It seems that the Elmar and the Summaron 35mm/3.5 [mine] need to be cleaned. I have one more battery of testing for bokeh. I will try to squeeze in some extra shots for the Elmar with hood.

Raid

Back