Raid's 35/40mm flare test: Analysis

raid said:
Roel,

It seems that the Elmar and the Summaron 35mm/3.5 [mine] need to be cleaned. I have one more battery of testing for bokeh. I will try to squeeze in some extra shots for the Elmar with hood.

Raid

Hi Raid,

Thanks a lot! I don't own one, but just can't believe that these lenses are so bad.

Roel

I will next concentrate on a few lenses that showed below par performance. We'll see ...

Raid

Thank you for your extra generous gift, Magus.
I took out the Canon 35/1.5 yesterday on a field test. I shot one 36 exposure roll of Fuji NPS rated at ISO 120 with the Bessa T. I think that you will like the results because I varied the subject matter in the testing from a portrait of a very interesting looking Physics Professor who happend to "be there", plus my children, and also an old church and light filtering through tree leaves ... etc. My second roll of film in the filed testing was with the Canon 35/2 to make sure that it is not my testing that is causing this lens not to look good.

Today, I will field test another lens ... I don't know yet which one.

Raid

Mike: Can you read my mind?!
I have just loaded the M6 with EFKE 25 and mounted on it the CV 35mm/1.2 while I loaded the M3 with also EFKE 25 and mounted on it the Leica 35mm/1.4 ASPH. If I had more film supply and developing funding I would shoot and shoot until everybody is happy here. After a while, the expenses build up far enough that would get me a lens!

Cheers,

Raid

Thankyou very much Raid for conducting these tests which have no doubt required quite a bit of hard work on your part.

I'm surprised at how well the CV lenses performed, and how poorly the older Leicas did.
In particular the sharpness of the CV 35 Ultron wide-open was much better than the things I'd heard about it lead me to imagine. I was also pleased (but not surprised) at the performance of the PII which has always delighted me, for price it is simply incredible.

I am pretty shocked at how little difference there seems to be between most of the modern lenses in the test, though I do think that under more "real world conditions" differences would reveal themselves over time. I've always found it hard to determine how I feel about a lens after a single outing, but protracted use usually tells a story once you've shot it under a variety of conditions.
No offense to Raid who I think has done a brilliant job, I'm merely musing over the fact that tests can only hope to tell us so much.
One thing the test does tell me is that the difference between B&W films can be much greater than the difference between various lenses, and I'm now more keen than ever to experiment with new films rather than daydream about owning new lenses - definately a good thing! :D

Roland and Raid.. hurculean effort of work and analysis!

What I find interesting here is how everyone looks for a 'winner' so to speak. What I'm getting here is solid information on how to use a specific lens to achieve a certain effect. All seem to have some unique character worth exploiting in photography.

Bosk said:
Thankyou very much Raid for conducting these tests which have no doubt required quite a bit of hard work on your part.

I'm surprised at how well the CV lenses performed, and how poorly the older Leicas did.
In particular the sharpness of the CV 35 Ultron wide-open was much better than the things I'd heard about it lead me to imagine. I was also pleased (but not surprised) at the performance of the PII which has always delighted me, for price it is simply incredible.

I am pretty shocked at how little difference there seems to be between most of the modern lenses in the test, though I do think that under more "real world conditions" differences would reveal themselves over time. I've always found it hard to determine how I feel about a lens after a single outing, but protracted use usually tells a story once you've shot it under a variety of conditions.
No offense to Raid who I think has done a brilliant job, I'm merely musing over the fact that tests can only hope to tell us so much.
One thing the test does tell me is that the difference between B&W films can be much greater than the difference between various lenses, and I'm now more keen than ever to experiment with new films rather than daydream about owning new lenses - definately a good thing! :D

Hi Bosk,

The testing is not done yet; yesterday and today I shot one roll per lens for four lenses, for images under all type of conditions. If I had the money to dvelop and scan many rolls of film, I would have done this for each lens. With 27 lenses [and 27 36-exp rolls], the total cost would be over $400 [plus the cost of the 27 rolls of film]. One of the best benfits of such tests is maybe to get a useful conversation started here.

Cheers,

Raid

Hi,

I need a volunteer to develop and scan two rolls of EFKE 25 B&W film for the lens testing efforts here. Is anyone willing to do this task? If so, please pm me. Thanks.

Greetings,

Raid

Raid, Roland

Thank you for all your work. These tests are very valuable. I'm about to purchase a 35mm and this series has been helpful.

jan normandale said:
Roland and Raid.. hurculean effort of work and analysis!

What I find interesting here is how everyone looks for a 'winner' so to speak. What I'm getting here is solid information on how to use a specific lens to achieve a certain effect. All seem to have some unique character worth exploiting in photography.

Just what I was thinking. :)

raid said:
Hi Bosk,

The testing is not done yet; yesterday and today I shot one roll per lens for four lenses, for images under all type of conditions. If I had the money to dvelop and scan many rolls of film, I would have done this for each lens. With 27 lenses [and 27 36-exp rolls], the total cost would be over $400 [plus the cost of the 27 rolls of film]. One of the best benfits of such tests is maybe to get a useful conversation started here.

Cheers,

Raid

Which 4 lenses, Raid? :confused:

Huck Finn said:
Which 4 lenses, Raid? :confused:

Yesterday I was trying to out [a Canon 35/2] to rest the questions about the performance of the Canon 35/2 that came out below par in my few images so far. I also gave the "new champion" lens, the Canon 50/1.5, a field test with another roll of film. Today, I put the two "giants" one against the other. I used a roll for the Leica Summilux and a roll for the CV 35mm/1.2 ... the Beast.

Raid

Last edited:
raid said:
Yesterday I was trying to out to rest the questions about the performance of the Canon 35/2 that came out below par in my few images so far. I also gave the "new champion" lens, the Canon 50/1.5, a field test with another roll of film. Today, I put the two "giants" one against the other. I use a roll for the Leica Summilux and a roll for the CV 35mm/1.2 ... the Beast.

Raid

Thanks for the info . . . as well as for all the work you did on this amazing test. If no one has mentioned it, your daughter is lovely & the colors in the protrait suited are particularly well. Overall, it was a beautiful composition. :)

Back